First exhibits - was Your weekly "today at the museum" report

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 25, 2007
      Sellam,

      Had not thought of that, but it's a great idea, none the less. ;-) As long as we can tell what an egotistical ass**** Von Newmann was, this would be a nice aside to the ENIAC to UNIVAC story. There is really very little written about the IAS at Princeton when compared to ENIAC at Penn.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 25, 2007
        On Sat, 25 Aug 2007, Jim Scheef wrote:

        > Had not thought of that, but it's a great idea, none the less. ;-) As
        > long as we can tell what an egotistical ass**** Von Newmann was, this
        > would be a nice aside to the ENIAC to UNIVAC story. There is really very
        > little written about the IAS at Princeton when compared to ENIAC at
        > Penn.

        That's what's great about starting your own museum: you get to present the
        history the way you see fit ;)

        Another suggestion, if you can find a tie-in for him to Camp Evans (you
        probably can), is to research and highlight this guy:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vannevar_Bush

        --

        Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 25, 2007
          Evan,

          IAS ==> Institute of Advanced Studies. It was an early think tank and was John Von Neumann's (corrected my spelling) home base. He tried several times to move projects away from the Moore School to Princeton where he could be in charge.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 25, 2007
            Sellam,

            We already know that people at Camp Evans paid to use the differential analyzer at the Moore School, so however tenuous, there is a link to Vannevar Bush. This would be something for someone not hyper about computers to research.

            Jim

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 25, 2007
              On Sat, 25 Aug 2007, Jim Scheef wrote:

              > We already know that people at Camp Evans paid to use the differential
              > analyzer at the Moore School, so however tenuous, there is a link to
              > Vannevar Bush. This would be something for someone not hyper about
              > computers to research.

              No one's really given the man the credit he (in my opinion) deserves. He
              is like a rich vein of computer history that has gone mostly untapped over
              the years. Mostly because he was a very high level mover and shaker, but
              his contributions were still monumental.

              --

              Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

            • William Donzelli
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 26, 2007
                > No one's really given the man the credit he (in my opinion) deserves.

                The military electronics historians recognize his work, and he gets due credit.

                --
                Will
              • John Allain
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 26, 2007
                  >> No one's really given the man the credit he (in my opinion) deserves.

                  > The military electronics historians recognize his work, and he gets due
                  credit.

                  If he doesn't have any museum space anywhere in the world I'd be surprised.
                  If so (no space), then tremendous opportunity. But... He's known for
                  thought
                  experiments ... I'd kinda like building a physical memex but that would
                  ignore all the real world stuff we have now and are supposed to be curating.

                  Other "real world" stuff we have is members with expertise (and their own
                  collections) and connections to the outside like Claude and Dimitri.

                  John A.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 27, 2007
                    Sellam,

                    If Vannevar Bush had pushed for electronic computers, I would agree completely. He certainly had his hand in many technology projects in the thirties and forties. My view of him is undoubtedly colored by the books I have read about ENIAC.

                    Jim

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 27, 2007
                      I asked Fred about VB and Camp Evans. Fred says that in one of the oral
                      history projects, a former Camp Evans scientist claimed that VB did
                      visit once, but that's it -- no elaboration and no evidence. Next time
                      I see Fred, I will ask him if the scientist is still alive and
                      accessible, and if so then I'll contact him to see if there is any other
                      information about VB's visit (when it happened, for what reason, etc.)

                      > We already know that people at Camp Evans paid to use the differential

                      > analyzer at the Moore School, so however tenuous, there is a link to
                      > Vannevar Bush. This would be something for someone not hyper about
                      > computers to research.

                      No one's really given the man the credit he (in my opinion) deserves.
                      He
                      is like a rich vein of computer history that has gone mostly untapped
                      over
                      the years. Mostly because he was a very high level mover and shaker,
                      but
                      his contributions were still monumental.

                      --

                      Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer
                      Festival
                      ------
                      International Man of Intrigue and Danger
                      http://www.vintage.org

                      [ Old computing resources for business || Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage
                      Computers ]
                      [ and academia at www.VintageTech.com || at
                      http://marketplace.vintage.org ]

                    • Bob Grieb
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 29, 2007
                        A friend has asked if I can read some old files from
                        zip disks that were attached to a Mac. The files are
                        a combination of Quark (Express?) and pdf's. Anyone
                        think they might be able to help? I'm guessing the
                        files are 10-12 years old. Not sure.

                        Thanks,

                        Bob Grieb

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • billdeg@degnanco.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 30, 2007
                          > A friend has asked if I can read some old files from
                          > zip disks that were attached to a Mac. The files are
                          > a combination of Quark (Express?) and pdf's. Anyone
                          > think they might be able to help? I'm guessing the
                          > files are 10-12 years old. Not sure.
                          >
                          > Thanks,

                          I have a MAC/Zip set up if you have not already received an offer for
                          assistance. Contact me directly if needed.
                          Bill
                        • Dave
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 30, 2007
                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote:

                            > A friend has asked if I can read some old files from
                            > zip disks that were attached to a Mac. The files are
                            > a combination of Quark (Express?) and pdf's. Anyone
                            > think they might be able to help? I'm guessing the
                            > files are 10-12 years old. Not sure.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            >
                            > Bob Grieb

                            If you're in a bind, you can send them to me in New Haven CT, and I
                            can pop the files onto a CD for you...

                            Dave Woyciesjes
                          • Bob Grieb
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 30, 2007
                              Thanks, Bill and Dave.

                              I will ask my friend to send the media, then
                              will be in touch.

                              Bob Grieb

                              http://mail.yahoo.com