PC interface for 8" floppies

    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2005
      Kelly,

      Am I reading this correctly that you have an 8" floppy working in a PC? I was
      never able to make this work despite purchasing a "special" floppy controller
      that was supposed to work with both 5 1/4" and 8" drives. What controller are
      you using for the 8" drive?

      Jim

      --- Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:
      > > I was thinking the same thing, because the part number on the
      >
      > Right now, I'm in the process of building a "super duplicator" computer for
      > all my old formats. I'm in the process of putting together a 6 floppy Linux
      > machine using Debian "woody" Linux, with two floppy controllers plus an old
      > catweasel I picked up on EBAY. When finished, I'll have 1xDS/DD 5.25"
      > drives
      > (for reading my old tandy stuff). 1x3.5" 1.44meg drive for booting, 2x8"
      > DS/DD drives for reading my old tandy junk (if I can find an FDC that I can
      > set as secondary that will actualy do FM encoding) and 2 5.25" DS/HD drives
      > for making archive copies of the old 8" media. I may replace the 3.5" drive
      > with another 5.25" DS/DD when all is said and done. I have most of this
      > already working. I'm trying to find a nice enclosure for the 2 8" drives so
      > I don't have a bunch of exposed electronics on the desk here. Here is the
      > current configuration:
      >
      > FDC0 -> 3.5" DS/HD drive 0
      > FDC0 -> 5.25" DS/DD drive 1
      > FDC1 -> 5.25" DS/HD drive 0
      > FDC2 -> 8" DS/DD drive 1
      > Catweasel0 -> 5.25" DS/HD drive 0
      > Catweasel0 -> 8" DS/DD drive 1
      >
      > Like I said, so far, all of this is working. I just can't handle FM on FDC1
      > (but I can on the catweasel).
      >
      > Whew, that's all for now.
      >
      > Kelly
      >

      > > Bill
      > >

      > > In a message dated 5/30/2005 2:57:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      > > kelly@... writes:
      > >
      > > > Is it really a "Longshine" card (the name on the box)? Or
      > > was it just being
      > > > stored in a longshine box? Seems like a long shot, but
      > > they (Longshine) are
      > > > still in business. I just had them email me a manual for
      > > one of their cards
      > > > from the early 90's (it was a XT floppy controller).
      > > >
      > > > Kelly
    • Kelly Leavitt
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2005
        Jim:
        I'm using Linux. This allows for greater control over the hardware. The
        only thing I'm still having problems with is being able to read/write FM
        encoded disks. I can handle them using the catweasel and Tim Mann's software
        (www.tim-mann.org), but that just gives me a low level image, not ascii data
        I can possibly deal with.

        Other than that, everything seems to be working fine.

        The machine will dual boot DOS, but I haven't tried the 8" floppy in DOS.
        What controller did you purchase? Would you be willing to sell it to me so I
        could try that also. How about trades? I've got a basement full of
        junk^H^H^H^H^H all kinds of PC parts and software. Need any Tandy software?
        I've downloaded the entire model 4 library from Ira's site (www.trs-80.com).

        My ultimate goal is to be able to read and write all these different formats
        from one machine:
        5.25" SD, DD, HD
        8" SD and DD

        It's the SD that has the FM encoding. For the big machines I use (TRS-80
        models II, 12, 16, 16b, 6000), I need to be able to read a disk with FM on
        track 0 and MFM everywhere else.

        For your reference, I'm using TM-848-02 8" drives. They are very easy to
        use, and I have the field service manual for them.

        --- Kelly Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:
        > > I was thinking the same thing, because the part number on the
        >
        > Right now, I'm in the process of building a "super duplicator"
        computer for
        > all my old formats. I'm in the process of putting together a 6 floppy
        Linux
        > machine using Debian "woody" Linux, with two floppy controllers plus
        an old
        > catweasel I picked up on EBAY. When finished, I'll have 1xDS/DD 5.25"
        > drives
        > (for reading my old tandy stuff). 1x3.5" 1.44meg drive for booting,
        2x8"
        > DS/DD drives for reading my old tandy junk (if I can find an FDC that
        I can
        > set as secondary that will actualy do FM encoding) and 2 5.25" DS/HD
        drives
        > for making archive copies of the old 8" media. I may replace the 3.5"
        drive
        > with another 5.25" DS/DD when all is said and done. I have most of
        this
        > already working. I'm trying to find a nice enclosure for the 2 8"
        drives so
        > I don't have a bunch of exposed electronics on the desk here. Here is
        the
        > current configuration:
        >
        > FDC0 -> 3.5" DS/HD drive 0
        > FDC0 -> 5.25" DS/DD drive 1
        > FDC1 -> 5.25" DS/HD drive 0
        > FDC2 -> 8" DS/DD drive 1
        > Catweasel0 -> 5.25" DS/HD drive 0
        > Catweasel0 -> 8" DS/DD drive 1
        >
        > Like I said, so far, all of this is working. I just can't handle FM on
        FDC1
        > (but I can on the catweasel).
        >
        > Whew, that's all for now.
        >
        > Kelly
        >

        > > Bill
        > >

        > > In a message dated 5/30/2005 2:57:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        > > kelly@... writes:
        > >
        > > > Is it really a "Longshine" card (the name on the box)? Or
        > > was it just being
        > > > stored in a longshine box? Seems like a long shot, but
        > > they (Longshine) are
        > > > still in business. I just had them email me a manual for
        > > one of their cards
        > > > from the early 90's (it was a XT floppy controller).
        > > >
        > > > Kelly

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Chris M
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2005
          Dude, the NEC APC (numero uno) used 8" floppers. So did the Xerox 8/16 I'm told, and no I never did get to pick it up :(. This summer, I'm probably going to take the drive to pick up an APC or 2. Examining it's innards might help with the present conundrum. Won't be immediate though.
           Did you ever get my e-mail by the way?

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 4 , May 31, 2005
            Chris,

            All this was nearly fifteen years ago, so the details are a little fuzzy. As
            I recall, the regular floppy controller in an IBM PC could not control an 8"
            drive. I don't recall why. I wanted to be able to read the 8" floopies used
            by my Seattle Gazelle, so I bought a controller that promised to work. It
            didn't. The vendor tried to update the device driver, but it never worked.
            The Gazelle has always remained a "data island".

            Jim