Failed work day :(

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 25, 2007
      Nobody showed up today to help even though I posted weeks ahead of time.

      Very disappointing.
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 25, 2007
        Herb is coming over to save the day at 1:15. Any other of you nerds* wanna help?

        - Evan

        * Certainly not excluding myself! :)
      • Sellam Ismail
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 25, 2007
          On Sat, 25 Aug 2007, Evan wrote:

          > Nobody showed up today to help even though I posted weeks ahead of time.
          >
          > Very disappointing.

          Tut tut, MARCH people.

          --

          Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

        • Evan
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 25, 2007
            Not failed after all. Herb came over and we actually got a lot done. (Pictures coming soon.)

            The new status of our four museum rooms in the second building is: rooms one and two (one large, one small, both near the door) are empty and carpeted, albeit with some finishing touches needed. Rooms three and four (both small) are packed solid with computers. All four rooms are painted, not perfect but they will suffice.

            Next up: finishing the wing's entranceway and hallway. Then: we make some exhibits and move in!

            - Evan
          • Herb Johnson
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 26, 2007
              "Evan" <evan@...> wrote:

              > Not failed after all. Herb came over and we actually got a lot
              done. (Pictures coming soon.)

              Evan and I got some stuff moved around, and the "new" exhibit room is
              mostly cleared except for two large IBM pieces of equipment, one which
              must be disassembled. Also, we shuffled stuff in another room to lay a
              used carpet.

              I also got a chance to see the most recent PDP 11/20 donation. It
              looks like a pretty complete 11/20 with a lot of manuals, schematic
              sets, and paper tape software. The 11's had a paper tape based OS
              which could be used to run software. I think that set of stuff, by
              itself, could be a good "static" display of 1970's DEC minicomputer
              technology. It shows what could be done without hard drives or even
              floppy drives! this is something Herb Johnson will think about.

              I took some photos and a short video, which I'll get to Evan.

              Herb Johnson

              Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
            • Evan
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 26, 2007
                >>> this is something Herb Johnson will think about.

                But only in the third person. :)
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 27, 2007
                  <chuckle>......................</chuckle>

                  >>> this is something Herb Johnson will think about.

                  But only in the third person. :)

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Herb Johnson
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 28, 2007

                    Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

                    > <chuckle>......................</chuckle>

                    My use of the third person got some attention, didn't it? Thank you.
                    Now, is anyone interested in MARCH's DEC equipment? Or not? Let me
                    know. I have an idea about a display.

                    Herb

                    Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                  • Bob Applegate
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 28, 2007
                      Bob Dole said "Bob Dole is interested."

                      We SHOULD be interested in DEC stuff.  While Maynard might not be considered Mid-Atlantic, DEC was
                      certainly a major player in the early days.  Reading through the first issues of Dr Dobb's, lots of people
                      discussed ways to run PDP-8 and PDP-11 software on their micros.  DEC had a big impact on a lot of us
                      folks back in the 70s.

                      Bob

                      http://www.retrotec hnology.com/ herbs_stuff/ web site
                      http://www.retrotec hnology.net/ herbs_stuff/ domain mirror

                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 28, 2007
                        Of course we're interested! I just think it makes more sense to save our
                        best DEC items for the exhibit on minicomputers, and/or other
                        to-be-determined exhibits, instead of using it for this first exhibit on
                        local products.

                        That being said, I suppose we can make a THIRD "first" exhibit, which
                        would just be a "best of the rest of our collection" while we continue
                        planning and restoring things. And the PDP-11 certainly would fit into
                        that category too.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 28, 2007
                          Herb,

                          I was waiting to see who else commented. Using the PDP as a static exhibit (at least to start) sounds like a great idea. It has a lot of substance with its size, the manuals and many learning opportunities with the tape OS (I'd never heard of that), etc. Do you envision signs or display cards to explain things? I'm listening...

                          Jim

                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 28, 2007
                            So, I was just sending an email to Herb, and started thinking more about
                            this idea from the second paragraph of my previous email (below), re:
                            making a third "first" exhibit which would be "best of the rest' of our
                            collections. In addition to just showing off some of our more fun
                            systems, this is a good way to keep everyone interested while the club
                            focuses on other current exhibits. For example, say the current
                            under-construction exhibit in six months from now happens to be about
                            data storage, but you don't care much about data storage ... you could
                            do what Herb's doing and work on a pet project for the "best of"
                            exhibit. We can also use this exhibit space as a way to highlight
                            members' personal collections, and we can rotate that space frequently.
                            Again, for example, say there's a month when Andy is spontaneously
                            inclined to show off his Sony SMC-70, or perhaps Mark will want to do a
                            mini-OS2 exhibit around Warpstock time -- no problem, they'd just use
                            part of our exhibit space designated for this purpose. The more I
                            explain the idea, the more I like it ... keep everyone involved, use
                            more of our physical exhibit space, vary the exhibits beyond what MARCH
                            owns ... sounds good right???

                            Of course we're interested! I just think it makes more sense to save
                            our
                            best DEC items for the exhibit on minicomputers, and/or other
                            to-be-determined exhibits, instead of using it for this first exhibit on
                            local products.

                            That being said, I suppose we can make a THIRD "first" exhibit, which
                            would just be a "best of the rest of our collection" while we continue
                            planning and restoring things. And the PDP-11 certainly would fit into
                            that category too.

                            > Bob Dole said "Bob Dole is interested."
                            >
                            > We SHOULD be interested in DEC stuff. While Maynard might not be
                            > considered Mid-Atlantic, DEC was
                            > certainly a major player in the early days. Reading through the first
                            > issues of Dr Dobb's, lots of people
                            > discussed ways to run PDP-8 and PDP-11 software on their micros. DEC
                            had
                            > a big impact on a lot of us
                            > folks back in the 70s.
                            >
                            > Bob

                          • John Allain
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 29, 2007
                              > The more I
                              > explain the idea, the more I like it ... keep everyone involved, use
                              > more of our physical exhibit space, vary the exhibits beyond what MARCH
                              > owns ... sounds good right???

                              Yup, Home Run.
                              ( or, >run home<, clean up systems, bring in to MARCH. )

                              I'll ramble on and add that I want to Pretend the MARCH DEC
                              systems are my own in that I'd like to spend a few _days_ treating
                              them nicely and making them runnable/clean enough for display,
                              ready to go/Inventoried/Researched, 100% museum quality.

                              John A.
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 29, 2007
                                Cool! Nerd fight!! John has a height advantage, but Herb is clever.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 29, 2007

                                  "John Allain" <allain@...> wrote:
                                  > Yup, Home Run.
                                  > ( or, >run home<, clean up systems, bring in to MARCH. )
                                  >
                                  > I'll ramble on and add that I want to Pretend the MARCH DEC
                                  > systems are my own in that I'd like to spend a few _days_ treating
                                  > them nicely and making them runnable/clean enough for display,
                                  > ready to go/Inventoried/Researched, 100% museum quality.
                                  >
                                  > John A.

                                  ...and Evan replied "Cool! Nerd fight!! John has a height advantage,
                                  but Herb is clever...."

                                  The DEC is not "mine", and I'm glad this was brought up. I don't DO
                                  projects as subtext for "ownership". If I "owned" this DEC, and did
                                  the work, and went away (as always happens, eventually); then the work
                                  would go away. And if no one "owned" the computer later, the DEC would
                                  go away.

                                  That means, to me, the work was a waste of time. If something only
                                  lasts as long as I'm interested, then it has no permanance, no value
                                  outside myself. What's the point, in my opinion? At age 54, I think
                                  about these things.

                                  MARCH (or InfoAge) "owns" the collection. Herb Johnson offers to work
                                  on some part, to get OTHERS interested in doing more, and to get
                                  OTHERS to see what we have. The point is to INVOLVE, not to gather
                                  more toys. I have plenty of toys, thanks. I made my case about the
                                  value of an exhibit - the proof will be 1) does it interest visitors
                                  and 2) does it interest MEMBERS.

                                  Evan "got" that: we have a "go". Welcome aboard, John.

                                  http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

                                  Herb Johnson

                                  P.S.: there are several other PDP-11's on site. No shortage of 'em.
                                  Two 11/10s or /05's are kinda cute...HJ

                                  Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 29, 2007
                                    Guys ... I was only kidding around ... smile it's funny. :)

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 30, 2007
                                      Hello all,

                                      From the first mention of "ownership" I took this to mean the business sense where the "owner" is the sponsor or evangelist for a particular exhibit. I really like this concept because then the "owner" could commit to be the coordinator of all work on an exhibit over time, preparing documentation, signs, work on the hardware and software, etc. Certainly there could be more than one person as owner for large and complex exhibits like this PDP, but the owner would coordinate the efforts of any and all people working on the exhibit - cleaning, documenting, restoring, whatever.

                                      As we talk about exhibits, we should keep in mind that no exhibit should ever be "permanent" and hopefully all will evolve over time. To my mind, popular exhibits are the ones that several MARCHins want to work on and improve over time rather than computers that just sit there and gather dust - no matter how "cool" that computer might be. When an exhibit stops evolving it's probably time to look for something to replace it on display - some new exhibit that people are working on.

                                      Filling the exhibit rooms is easy - they have been full for months! Making a *museum* educates and informs visitors will be much harder than we might think.

                                      Jim

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 30, 2007
                                        >>> Filling the exhibit rooms is easy - they have been full for months!

                                        Actually, now that we neatly rearranged everything, only two of our four rooms are full (and it's two of the small rooms!) ... But your point is very valid.