Re: [midatlanticretro] Your weekly "today at the museum" report

  • Sellam Ismail
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 24, 2007
      On Sun, 12 Aug 2007, Evan Koblentz wrote:

      > And, after several weeks of searching, I finally located the power
      > switch for our ASR-33. LOL, why didn't any tell me it is right in the
      > front??? The teletype turns on and immediately starts clanking away.
      > Hey, how do I make it STOP clanking away other than switching it off?
      > Never used one of these before. I could RTFM but someone here must know
      > the quick version.

      It's not that simple. It's looking for line current. You have to connect
      a proper power supply to the line to which it expects to be connected. At
      that point you can then go into local mode to type stuff, punch a tape,
      etc.

      > After that, what exhibits should come next? I guess that is open to
      > community discussion. The easiest exhibit would be 70s/80s desktops,
      > followed by exhibits for (in no special order) minicomputers, gaming,
      > portables, storage, computer culture, maybe academic and business
      > software, networking, analog . what are YOU interested in?

      I think you guys should do some sort of tie-in with Princeton recounting
      the early computer work at the IAS.

      --

      Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 24, 2007
        I don't know what IAS is, but I'll Google it: if you say it's important
        then it must be! That kind of thing will go into our "Computing of the
        Region" exhibit.

        On Sun, 12 Aug 2007, Evan Koblentz wrote:

        > And, after several weeks of searching, I finally located the power
        > switch for our ASR-33. LOL, why didn't any tell me it is right in the
        > front??? The teletype turns on and immediately starts clanking away.
        > Hey, how do I make it STOP clanking away other than switching it off?
        > Never used one of these before. I could RTFM but someone here must
        know
        > the quick version.

        It's not that simple. It's looking for line current. You have to
        connect
        a proper power supply to the line to which it expects to be connected.
        At
        that point you can then go into local mode to type stuff, punch a tape,
        etc.

        > After that, what exhibits should come next? I guess that is open to
        > community discussion. The easiest exhibit would be 70s/80s desktops,
        > followed by exhibits for (in no special order) minicomputers, gaming,
        > portables, storage, computer culture, maybe academic and business
        > software, networking, analog . what are YOU interested in?

        I think you guys should do some sort of tie-in with Princeton recounting

        the early computer work at the IAS.

        --

        Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer
        Festival
        ------
        International Man of Intrigue and Danger
        http://www.vintage.org

        [ Old computing resources for business || Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage
        Computers ]
        [ and academia at www.VintageTech.com || at
        http://marketplace.vintage.org ]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • David Gesswein
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 25, 2007
          > > And, after several weeks of searching, I finally located the power
          > > switch for our ASR-33. LOL, why didn't any tell me it is right in the
          > > front??? The teletype turns on and immediately starts clanking away.
          > > Hey, how do I make it STOP clanking away other than switching it off?
          > > Never used one of these before. I could RTFM but someone here must know
          > > the quick version.
          >
          > It's not that simple. It's looking for line current. You have to connect
          > a proper power supply to the line to which it expects to be connected. At
          > that point you can then go into local mode to type stuff, punch a tape,
          > etc.

          Actually it is that simple, at least for mine. If you rotate the switch
          in the opposite direction you will put it in local mode where it will
          print what you type. If you activate the punch it will punch also. You
          can also feed tape into the reader.

          This manual has some basic teletype operation instructions
          http://www.pdp8online.com/pdp8cgi/query_docs/view.pl?id=30
        • Sellam Ismail
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 25, 2007
            On Sat, 25 Aug 2007, David Gesswein wrote:

            > > It's not that simple. It's looking for line current. You have to connect
            > > a proper power supply to the line to which it expects to be connected. At
            > > that point you can then go into local mode to type stuff, punch a tape,
            > > etc.
            >
            > Actually it is that simple, at least for mine. If you rotate the switch
            > in the opposite direction you will put it in local mode where it will
            > print what you type. If you activate the punch it will punch also. You
            > can also feed tape into the reader.

            Hi David.

            This is because you have a power supply module installed somewhere, either
            in the pedestal or as an internal option.

            --

            Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival