vintagecomputer.net update

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 18, 2007
      I have updated my web site, vintagecomputer.net with new info

      -The Electronic Brain
      In the March 1949 issue of Radio Electronics there is a watershed article
      titled The Electronic Brain by W.R. Ashby, M.A., M.D.
      The author describes recent (for 1949) advances in electronics and how they
      can be applied to the development of an artificial intelligence. Download
      entire article.
      - University of Delaware Opens Computer Museum
      - Who was the original Braniac?
      - Inside the Amazing ASR 33 (Byte July 77)
      - Commodore Disk Archive Project
      - cybercrud.com
      - restoration projects, etc.

      Bill D
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 9, 2008
        I have updated my web site. Of special interest will be the article I
        scanned from the Philadelphia Area Computing Society newsletter, The Data
        Bus, 10-83.

        http://vintagecomputer.net/

        Some of the other stuff you may have read from posts earlier this and last
        month, but there are some things I had not mentioned too, including pictures:

        The Sage II
        My Interview in Commodore Free
        CBM MS DOS 1.25 Available
        Byte BYT-8 S-100 Computer
        NEC PC-8201A Laptop
        TRS-80 FP-215 Plotter
        Altos 5-5AD Restoration
        IBM Series 1 Project Update
        Belt Replacement for an Exatron Stringy Floppy
        Commodore 1541 IDE Hacking
        IBM General Purpose Bus Adapter (IEEE 488)

        -Bill
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 9, 2008
          Bill, the proper name of the Kyocera laptop is "Kyotronic KC-85" ...
          Kyotronic was Kyocera's computer brand.

          The triplets that OEM'd it were the Tandy Model 100, NEC PC-8201, and
          Olivetti M-10.

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 9, 2008
            http://www.vintagecomputer.net/PACS/The%20Data%20Bus%20-%20PACS%2010-83%20.p
            df

            Wow ... A few interesting things there: 1., page 2 mentions "Larry Ellison"
            ... NOT the same guy as from Oracle!; 2. page 2 also has the ad for Notable
            Software ... Presumably that IS the same compan as the the Notable Software
            currently run by Rebecca Mercuri, who's a prominent member of the Princeton
            ACM/IEEE and who we always see at the Trenton show; page 3 mentions Ron
            Kushnier, who you all should recognize from MARCH's own list!; page 3 also
            mentions the aforementioned Trenton show.

            And yet, it's from 25 years ago. I love it ... 25 years ago I was only 8
            years old.

            Ron -- please reply to this email!!

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 9, 2008
              Evan,

              This is embarrassing. I joined my local computer club (then the Danbury Osborn Group, now the Danbury Area Computer Society) when you were 10.

              Jim

              I have updated my web site.  Of special interest will be the article I
              scanned from the Philadelphia Area Computing Society newsletter, The Data
              Bus, 10-83.

              http://vintagecomputer.net/

              Some of the other stuff you may have read from posts earlier this and last
              month, but there are some things I had not mentioned too, including
              pictures:

              The Sage II
              My Interview in Commodore Free
              CBM MS DOS 1.25 Available
              Byte BYT-8 S-100 Computer
              NEC PC-8201A Laptop
              TRS-80 FP-215 Plotter
              Altos 5-5AD Restoration
              IBM Series 1 Project Update
              Belt Replacement for an Exatron Stringy Floppy
              Commodore 1541 IDE Hacking
              IBM General Purpose Bus Adapter (IEEE 488)

              -Bill

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 9, 2008
                Message
                Blame my parents.  :)

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 9, 2008
                  At 08:46 PM 2/9/2008 -0500, you wrote:
                  >Bill, the proper name of the Kyocera laptop is "Kyotronic KC-85" ...
                  >Kyotronic was Kyocera's computer brand.
                  >
                  >The triplets that OEM'd it were the Tandy Model 100, NEC PC-8201, and
                  >Olivetti M-10.

                  Thanks....I will update my page tomorrow morning. I missed that one, too
                  lazy to confirm my facts, oops.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 9, 2008
                    Bill,

                    Don't feel bad. Most comtemporary literature referred to it as the Kyocera KC-85 - including Model 100 Magazine. I have most of the issues of that magazine packed away somewhere in the attic.

                    Jim

                    the proper name of the Kyocera laptop is "Kyotronic KC-85" ...
                    >Kyotronic
                    was Kyocera's computer brand.

                    >The
                    triplets that OEM'd it were the Tandy Model 100, NEC PC-8201, and
                    >Olivetti
                    M-10.

                    Thanks....I will update my page tomorrow morning.  I missed that one, too
                    lazy to confirm my facts, oops.

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Evan
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 9, 2008
                      As I understand it, Bill gates contacted Tandy with the idea, which (somehow) led to Kyocera building it. I don't know if Tandy directly subcontracted to Kyocera, of if they put it out for bidding, or if Gates connected them, or what. But I hope to get the full details for my book directly from Gates and Kay Nishi. (There's a lot about this story on the Web but I'm too tired to search tonight.)

                      Going to sleep now.

                      Subj: Re: [midatlanticretro] vintagecomputer.net update
                      Date: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:55 am
                      Size: 4K
                      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 28, 2008
                        I have updated vintagecomputer.net to include some magazine article
                        scans, the Star Trek cover that I donated as a poster to MARCH, and
                        project work. I also have a link to the VCF E pictures I took.

                        I still have to post the VCF E video - I am attempting to catch up and
                        have made good progress this week.

                        enjoyment is optional.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 24, 2009
                          As part of the process of collecting my thoughts for the upcoming
                          exhibit in Sept, I went ahead and updated my web site home page to
                          include some articles about computer music.
                          http://vintagecomputer.net/
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 11, 2010
                            http://www.vintagecomputer.net/
                            let me know what you think.

                            I still have to update the inner pages that display images, but that's next.

                            bd
                          • Jim Kalin
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 11, 2010

                              Looks good!