Re: Update on next workday, and a poll

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 16, 2007
      "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

      > Hi all. So as I was saying . next workday is Saturday, Aug. 25,
      > starting at 10am . but what are we actually going to DO that day?
      > Here's what I am thinking. It may change.
      >
      > Of our four museum rooms, the large (first) room is 99% cleared out, and
      > yes, it's carpeted. (Don't worry, I went over the issue of static
      > electricity with Bob A. and others; we'll be okay.) I believe this room
      > can hold four exhibits. For now, just to reiterate, our first
      > two-and-a-half exhibits will be "Computing in the Military", "Computers
      > of the Region", and "Computer History at InfoAge"; that third one is
      > sort of a miniature exhibit so I'm counting it as half.

      Evan, you asked about exihibit suggestions recently. But I've been too
      busy after returning from vacation to offer any considerations. But my
      impression is that on the 25th, there will be a lot of stuff moved and
      sorted. So that would likely be an opportunity to "pull" items for
      exhibit, or at least put them in the front of storage.

      The best I can offer, in my opinion, is "show some DEC stuff". I
      helped with some of the earlier moving this summer. I saw a lot of
      PDP-11 stuff. We HAVE a lot of DEC stuff. Therefore, it seems to me,
      we should show something of it.

      Based only on recollections, I'd say show the 11/10 system box, or at
      least keep it "free" to be looked over for restoration and use. It's
      small and likely self contained. It could probably run a terminal.
      Have to come up with mass storage, but I think I saw some RX02 floppy
      drives, maybe some of the ancient RK05 or other devices.

      There is probably another PDP-11 that is reasonable to try to show,
      try to run, but I just don't know from what I saw. No time to review,
      to see how complete they are. We DID get a pretty complete DEC-based
      graphics system about a year ago, but that would be a MAJOR
      restoration. I'm thinking of something small, a rack or two (small by
      1980 standards).

      Does this fit any of the "exhibits" discussed? It might, by luck. But
      again, I'm simply suggesting that something representative of a LARGE
      PORTION of our equipment, ought to be visibly shown. I GUARANTEE,
      someone will see it who will eventually help us with the rest of the
      DEC stuff. That's how it happens.

      By the way: you might think I'd say "show some S-100 stuff". We
      should, beyond the Altair and IMSAI. But we only have one or two other
      S-100 systems. To my knowledge, they are simply "boards in a box".
      Not much to show. A history of S-100, board by board, might be doable,
      but that's small stuff.

      Sorry for the brief and abrupt suggetions. Not much time for more from
      me, and the pace of events at InfoAge.

      Herb Johnson

      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 16, 2007
        Herb Johnson wrote:
        > The best I can offer, in my opinion, is "show some DEC stuff". I
        > helped with some of the earlier moving this summer. I saw a lot of
        > PDP-11 stuff. We HAVE a lot of DEC stuff. Therefore, it seems to me,
        > we should show something of it.

        Indeed. And DEC, being from the Boston area, isn't very far outside our
        area, no?

        Peace... Sridhar
      • Jeffrey Frady
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 16, 2007
          For workday, Rose and I are a maybe.  I should know early that week.

          On 8/16/07, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@... > wrote:

          Herb Johnson wrote:
          > The best I can offer, in my opinion, is "show some DEC stuff". I
          > helped with some of the earlier moving this summer. I saw a lot of
          > PDP-11 stuff. We HAVE a lot of DEC stuff. Therefore, it seems to me,
          > we should show something of it.

          Indeed. And DEC, being from the Boston area, isn't very far outside our
          area, no?

          Peace... Sridhar

          Moderator at http://forums.palm.com
        • Sellam Ismail
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 24, 2007
            On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Evan Koblentz wrote:

            > Wa-la!

            It's spelled, "voila" ;~)

            --

            Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

          • Sellam Ismail
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 24, 2007
              On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

              > Herb Johnson wrote:
              > > The best I can offer, in my opinion, is "show some DEC stuff". I
              > > helped with some of the earlier moving this summer. I saw a lot of
              > > PDP-11 stuff. We HAVE a lot of DEC stuff. Therefore, it seems to me,
              > > we should show something of it.
              >
              > Indeed. And DEC, being from the Boston area, isn't very far outside our
              > area, no?

              What about IBM? It practically defines that whole area.

              --

              Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 24, 2007
                IBM is assumed because of the NY connection. Whereas DEC is on the
                borderline... Herb's right that we do have some terrific DEC gear and so
                we should definitely show it, but I'm considering the idea of NOT
                counting the beantown region as "local region" (nor DC ... with my
                apologies to our members who live there!), because including Boston and
                DC would simply be information overload for this "local region" exhibit.
                Also we'll have plenty of other exhibits appropriate for DEC computers.
                Meanwhile DC will be represented in a future exhibit about online
                services (lil' thing called the ARPANET some of you may use from time to
                time!)

                On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

                > Herb Johnson wrote:
                > > The best I can offer, in my opinion, is "show some DEC stuff". I
                > > helped with some of the earlier moving this summer. I saw a lot of
                > > PDP-11 stuff. We HAVE a lot of DEC stuff. Therefore, it seems to me,
                > > we should show something of it.
                >
                > Indeed. And DEC, being from the Boston area, isn't very far outside
                our
                > area, no?

                What about IBM? It practically defines that whole area.

                --

                Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer
                Festival
                ------
                International Man of Intrigue and Danger
                http://www.vintage.org

                [ Old computing resources for business || Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage
                Computers ]
                [ and academia at www.VintageTech.com || at
                http://marketplace.vintage.org ]

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • William Donzelli
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 24, 2007
                  > What about IBM? It practically defines that whole area.

                  Univac was closer. And you could probably throw a rock to the old
                  Interdata grounds.

                  --
                  Will