Update on next workday, and a poll

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 15, 2007

      Hi all.  So as I was saying … next workday is Saturday, Aug. 25, starting at 10am … but what are we actually going to DO that day?  Here’s what I am thinking.  It may change.

      Of our four museum rooms, the large (first) room is 99% cleared out, and yes, it’s carpeted.  (Don’t worry, I went over the issue of static electricity with Bob A. and others; we’ll be okay.)  I believe this room can hold four exhibits.  For now, just to reiterate, our first two-and-a-half exhibits will be “Computing in the Military”, “Computers of the Region”, and “Computer History at InfoAge”; that third one is sort of a miniature exhibit so I’m counting it as half.

      In our three smaller rooms: two are currently filled to about 80% capacity, and the middle one is mostly empty.  But we need the front room of the three to become the empty one, since Fred wants us to expand the museum exhibits in consecutive rooms.  So we have to move everything from one of the full small rooms into the empty small room.  LOL, I know this may sound convoluted, but trust me it makes sense when you see it.  (Didn’t I say that last time?  Oh well.)  This will leave us with our back two small rooms being mostly full, and our front two rooms (one large, one small) being empty for exhibits.

      Next, we’ll take some carpet (there is plenty around) and cut out a section for the empty small room.  Wa-la!  That’ll give us an instant SECOND exhibit room ready to be used!!

      Third on the agenda: we have to move the Phillips keypunch machine out of the large room and into one of the small rooms.  To do so, we need to disassemble the machine’s top half, which is just a few screws / bolts but the top and bottom parts are both very heavy.  So this one task may take a while.  Otherwise the machine will not fit through the doorway!

      Fourth, and most fun, we can look through our WHOLE collection, pick out which items should be in the first few exhibits, and move those into the two empty rooms.  We can also identify any significant gaps, i.e. items that obviously belong in the first few exhibits but which we don’t possess.  Then we’ll know what to look for, and (possibly) what to move into secondary storage or even get rid of.

      Meanwhile, throughout the next couple of months, Fred / Steve / etc. will be working on our building – replacing or patching sheetrock where it’s cracked, planning a new outside entranceway, replacing all of our door locks with new ones on a logical system, preparing for heating in the winter.  (Speaking of which: if anyone knows a mason and/or architect who’d be willing to help out at InfoAge, then please come forward.  Fred really needs help in those areas.)

      Poll: who will definitely attend on the 25th?  Who’s a maybe?  The sooner you reply, the better off we’ll be.

      Also on the 25th, there will be an InfoAge-wide yard sale on the patio of the hotel building.  Bob Judge from the train club is planning that.  Basically you just bring anything you want, write down the price and your name on a label, and Bob will explain the details.  Anyone can participate but there isn’t time to arrange any formal MARCH involvement.  I have NO IDEA what kind of audience to expect.

      -          Evan

    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 16, 2007
        "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

        > Hi all. So as I was saying . next workday is Saturday, Aug. 25,
        > starting at 10am . but what are we actually going to DO that day?
        > Here's what I am thinking. It may change.
        >
        > Of our four museum rooms, the large (first) room is 99% cleared out, and
        > yes, it's carpeted. (Don't worry, I went over the issue of static
        > electricity with Bob A. and others; we'll be okay.) I believe this room
        > can hold four exhibits. For now, just to reiterate, our first
        > two-and-a-half exhibits will be "Computing in the Military", "Computers
        > of the Region", and "Computer History at InfoAge"; that third one is
        > sort of a miniature exhibit so I'm counting it as half.

        Evan, you asked about exihibit suggestions recently. But I've been too
        busy after returning from vacation to offer any considerations. But my
        impression is that on the 25th, there will be a lot of stuff moved and
        sorted. So that would likely be an opportunity to "pull" items for
        exhibit, or at least put them in the front of storage.

        The best I can offer, in my opinion, is "show some DEC stuff". I
        helped with some of the earlier moving this summer. I saw a lot of
        PDP-11 stuff. We HAVE a lot of DEC stuff. Therefore, it seems to me,
        we should show something of it.

        Based only on recollections, I'd say show the 11/10 system box, or at
        least keep it "free" to be looked over for restoration and use. It's
        small and likely self contained. It could probably run a terminal.
        Have to come up with mass storage, but I think I saw some RX02 floppy
        drives, maybe some of the ancient RK05 or other devices.

        There is probably another PDP-11 that is reasonable to try to show,
        try to run, but I just don't know from what I saw. No time to review,
        to see how complete they are. We DID get a pretty complete DEC-based
        graphics system about a year ago, but that would be a MAJOR
        restoration. I'm thinking of something small, a rack or two (small by
        1980 standards).

        Does this fit any of the "exhibits" discussed? It might, by luck. But
        again, I'm simply suggesting that something representative of a LARGE
        PORTION of our equipment, ought to be visibly shown. I GUARANTEE,
        someone will see it who will eventually help us with the rest of the
        DEC stuff. That's how it happens.

        By the way: you might think I'd say "show some S-100 stuff". We
        should, beyond the Altair and IMSAI. But we only have one or two other
        S-100 systems. To my knowledge, they are simply "boards in a box".
        Not much to show. A history of S-100, board by board, might be doable,
        but that's small stuff.

        Sorry for the brief and abrupt suggetions. Not much time for more from
        me, and the pace of events at InfoAge.

        Herb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 16, 2007
          Herb Johnson wrote:
          > The best I can offer, in my opinion, is "show some DEC stuff". I
          > helped with some of the earlier moving this summer. I saw a lot of
          > PDP-11 stuff. We HAVE a lot of DEC stuff. Therefore, it seems to me,
          > we should show something of it.

          Indeed. And DEC, being from the Boston area, isn't very far outside our
          area, no?

          Peace... Sridhar
        • Jeffrey Frady
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 16, 2007
            For workday, Rose and I are a maybe.  I should know early that week.

            On 8/16/07, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@... > wrote:

            Herb Johnson wrote:
            > The best I can offer, in my opinion, is "show some DEC stuff". I
            > helped with some of the earlier moving this summer. I saw a lot of
            > PDP-11 stuff. We HAVE a lot of DEC stuff. Therefore, it seems to me,
            > we should show something of it.

            Indeed. And DEC, being from the Boston area, isn't very far outside our
            area, no?

            Peace... Sridhar

            Moderator at http://forums.palm.com
          • Sellam Ismail
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 24, 2007
              On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Evan Koblentz wrote:

              > Wa-la!

              It's spelled, "voila" ;~)

              --

              Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

            • Sellam Ismail
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 24, 2007
                On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

                > Herb Johnson wrote:
                > > The best I can offer, in my opinion, is "show some DEC stuff". I
                > > helped with some of the earlier moving this summer. I saw a lot of
                > > PDP-11 stuff. We HAVE a lot of DEC stuff. Therefore, it seems to me,
                > > we should show something of it.
                >
                > Indeed. And DEC, being from the Boston area, isn't very far outside our
                > area, no?

                What about IBM? It practically defines that whole area.

                --

                Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 24, 2007
                  IBM is assumed because of the NY connection. Whereas DEC is on the
                  borderline... Herb's right that we do have some terrific DEC gear and so
                  we should definitely show it, but I'm considering the idea of NOT
                  counting the beantown region as "local region" (nor DC ... with my
                  apologies to our members who live there!), because including Boston and
                  DC would simply be information overload for this "local region" exhibit.
                  Also we'll have plenty of other exhibits appropriate for DEC computers.
                  Meanwhile DC will be represented in a future exhibit about online
                  services (lil' thing called the ARPANET some of you may use from time to
                  time!)

                  On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

                  > Herb Johnson wrote:
                  > > The best I can offer, in my opinion, is "show some DEC stuff". I
                  > > helped with some of the earlier moving this summer. I saw a lot of
                  > > PDP-11 stuff. We HAVE a lot of DEC stuff. Therefore, it seems to me,
                  > > we should show something of it.
                  >
                  > Indeed. And DEC, being from the Boston area, isn't very far outside
                  our
                  > area, no?

                  What about IBM? It practically defines that whole area.

                  --

                  Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer
                  Festival
                  ------
                  International Man of Intrigue and Danger
                  http://www.vintage.org

                  [ Old computing resources for business || Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage
                  Computers ]
                  [ and academia at www.VintageTech.com || at
                  http://marketplace.vintage.org ]

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • William Donzelli
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 24, 2007
                    > What about IBM? It practically defines that whole area.

                    Univac was closer. And you could probably throw a rock to the old
                    Interdata grounds.

                    --
                    Will