Your weekly "today at the museum" report

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 12, 2007

      Let’s see … we had good visitorship today … most interesting were a father and his teen son who were so impressed that they stuck around to help me schlep computers and furniture well past the 4:00 public closing time!

      And, after several weeks of searching, I finally located the power switch for our ASR-33.  LOL, why didn’t any tell me it is right in the front???  The teletype turns on and immediately starts clanking away.  Hey, how do I make it STOP clanking away other than switching it off?  Never used one of these before.  I could RTFM but someone here must know the quick version.

      Fred, for the past few months, has been regularly hiring local laborers to do some PITA jobs for slightly well above minimum wage.  They work very hard and speak enough English to understand the basics … and Fred speaks enough Spanish to direct them.  Today they chipped away more of the loose paint from the metal doors / frames into our museum area, and applied a coat or two of dark green Rustoleum.  I really would have liked to strip off the old paint completely but I guess it wasn’t meant to be… the paint was still very wet when I left in the early evening so I’ll inspect it more closely Wednesday night, and take some pictures as well.

      As for the aforementioned visitors-turned-helpers, they were joined by Dan and Jim – members of the diving and model trains groups, respectively – in helping me to finish clearing out our first (largest) museum room.  Once that was one, yes, we unrolled a 30x12-foot section of industrial carpet.  The * vast * majority of our exhibits will be either computers in cases from the 70s/80s that are already grounded, or computers which realistically will never function again anyhow.  I also had an offline conversation with Bob Applegate today who, by my request, asserted his expertise on this matter.  J

      As previously explained, our first two exhibits will be “Computing of the Military” (with a special focus on computing technology that has direct Camp Evans tie-ins) and “Computers of the Region” since both of these exhibits should appeal to our visitors.

      After that, what exhibits should come next?  I guess that is open to community discussion.  The easiest exhibit would be 70s/80s desktops, followed by exhibits for (in no special order) minicomputers, gaming, portables, storage, computer culture, maybe academic and business software, networking, analog … what are YOU interested in?  Ideally I would like to appoint one or two people to be the leaders of making each exhibit.  The two for which I’m calling “dibs” are the first one (computers of the military and camp evans) and, as most of you can guess, portables since that is my personal collecting interest.

      Next workday still on for Sat., Aug;. 25.

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 13, 2007
        <snip>

        > As previously explained, our first two exhibits will be "Computing of
        > the Military" (with a special focus on computing technology that has
        > direct Camp Evans tie-ins) and "Computers of the Region" since both of
        > these exhibits should appeal to our visitors.

        Remind me that I have an F-14 fighter jet computer to donate for the
        military exhibit. I don't think it's too radioactive. :-)

        I believe that we should always favor home town computer companies when
        deciding between two systems to display OR - let's find home-town software
        and receipts, etc to go along with the exhibits. I would like to see some
        stuff from the Altantic City 76 show, and the first TCF. It does not
        matter to me whether we show a specific class of computer, you can see
        that anywhere, yes? Let's feature how the MidAtlantic played into the
        history of computing.

        It's great to hear that so much has been done. Sorry I can't make it as
        often as I would like to.

        Bill
      • Sellam Ismail
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 24, 2007
          On Sun, 12 Aug 2007, Evan Koblentz wrote:

          > And, after several weeks of searching, I finally located the power
          > switch for our ASR-33. LOL, why didn't any tell me it is right in the
          > front??? The teletype turns on and immediately starts clanking away.
          > Hey, how do I make it STOP clanking away other than switching it off?
          > Never used one of these before. I could RTFM but someone here must know
          > the quick version.

          It's not that simple. It's looking for line current. You have to connect
          a proper power supply to the line to which it expects to be connected. At
          that point you can then go into local mode to type stuff, punch a tape,
          etc.

          > After that, what exhibits should come next? I guess that is open to
          > community discussion. The easiest exhibit would be 70s/80s desktops,
          > followed by exhibits for (in no special order) minicomputers, gaming,
          > portables, storage, computer culture, maybe academic and business
          > software, networking, analog . what are YOU interested in?

          I think you guys should do some sort of tie-in with Princeton recounting
          the early computer work at the IAS.

          --

          Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 24, 2007
            I don't know what IAS is, but I'll Google it: if you say it's important
            then it must be! That kind of thing will go into our "Computing of the
            Region" exhibit.

            On Sun, 12 Aug 2007, Evan Koblentz wrote:

            > And, after several weeks of searching, I finally located the power
            > switch for our ASR-33. LOL, why didn't any tell me it is right in the
            > front??? The teletype turns on and immediately starts clanking away.
            > Hey, how do I make it STOP clanking away other than switching it off?
            > Never used one of these before. I could RTFM but someone here must
            know
            > the quick version.

            It's not that simple. It's looking for line current. You have to
            connect
            a proper power supply to the line to which it expects to be connected.
            At
            that point you can then go into local mode to type stuff, punch a tape,
            etc.

            > After that, what exhibits should come next? I guess that is open to
            > community discussion. The easiest exhibit would be 70s/80s desktops,
            > followed by exhibits for (in no special order) minicomputers, gaming,
            > portables, storage, computer culture, maybe academic and business
            > software, networking, analog . what are YOU interested in?

            I think you guys should do some sort of tie-in with Princeton recounting

            the early computer work at the IAS.

            --

            Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer
            Festival
            ------
            International Man of Intrigue and Danger
            http://www.vintage.org

            [ Old computing resources for business || Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage
            Computers ]
            [ and academia at www.VintageTech.com || at
            http://marketplace.vintage.org ]

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • David Gesswein
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 25, 2007
              > > And, after several weeks of searching, I finally located the power
              > > switch for our ASR-33. LOL, why didn't any tell me it is right in the
              > > front??? The teletype turns on and immediately starts clanking away.
              > > Hey, how do I make it STOP clanking away other than switching it off?
              > > Never used one of these before. I could RTFM but someone here must know
              > > the quick version.
              >
              > It's not that simple. It's looking for line current. You have to connect
              > a proper power supply to the line to which it expects to be connected. At
              > that point you can then go into local mode to type stuff, punch a tape,
              > etc.

              Actually it is that simple, at least for mine. If you rotate the switch
              in the opposite direction you will put it in local mode where it will
              print what you type. If you activate the punch it will punch also. You
              can also feed tape into the reader.

              This manual has some basic teletype operation instructions
              http://www.pdp8online.com/pdp8cgi/query_docs/view.pl?id=30
            • Sellam Ismail
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 25, 2007
                On Sat, 25 Aug 2007, David Gesswein wrote:

                > > It's not that simple. It's looking for line current. You have to connect
                > > a proper power supply to the line to which it expects to be connected. At
                > > that point you can then go into local mode to type stuff, punch a tape,
                > > etc.
                >
                > Actually it is that simple, at least for mine. If you rotate the switch
                > in the opposite direction you will put it in local mode where it will
                > print what you type. If you activate the punch it will punch also. You
                > can also feed tape into the reader.

                Hi David.

                This is because you have a power supply module installed somewhere, either
                in the pedestal or as an internal option.

                --

                Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival