Re: static discharge and exhibits - was Re: [midatlanticretro] Lots of schlepping got done tonight ... closer to our goal!

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2007
      Keep in mind that you do NOT want insulators... two insulators in contact or
      close proximity will GENERATE static electricity. Just think this through...
      if you were walking on something conductive that was grounded, then any static
      charge on your body would be drained to ground, right? If you had insulators
      rubbing (think of a balloon rubbing against your hair), you would get a much
      more powerful charge.

      In ESD work areas (like most of the labs at my work), we coat the floors with
      conductive wax. All mobile benches and chairs have chains dragging on the floor
      to dissipate any charge.

      This is about the third time we've been through this. Decide if you want to
      (A) protect the equipment or (B) make it comfy for visitors. Either of those
      two isn't too expensive, but doing both is very costly. I'd opt to protect the
      equipment in any room where there are delicate/old machines, but have carpeting
      in areas where there are static (nice pun) displays that aren't in danger of ESD
      damage, such as magazines, articles, posters, pictures, etc.

      BTW, humidity reduces the chances of ESD, but doesn't solve it. It's extremely
      humid right now but my kids are sticking balloons to our ceiling by rubbing them
      against their head. That's static electricity.

      Bob
      (someone who works in strict ESD compliance every day)

      NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net