Re: static discharge and exhibits - was Re: [midatlanticretro] Lots of schlepping got done tonight ... closer to our goal!

  • Bryan Pope
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2007
      Jim Scheef wrote:
      > All,
      >
      > The only sure way may be to prevent the unwashed from ever touching the exhibits where static is a problem. Offices with this heavy-duty carpet are the worst for static especially in winter with the lower relative humidity. We need to err to to side of caution.

      Or have humidifiers running in the winter months?

      Cheers,

      Bryan

    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 9, 2007
        Keep in mind that you do NOT want insulators... two insulators in contact or
        close proximity will GENERATE static electricity. Just think this through...
        if you were walking on something conductive that was grounded, then any static
        charge on your body would be drained to ground, right? If you had insulators
        rubbing (think of a balloon rubbing against your hair), you would get a much
        more powerful charge.

        In ESD work areas (like most of the labs at my work), we coat the floors with
        conductive wax. All mobile benches and chairs have chains dragging on the floor
        to dissipate any charge.

        This is about the third time we've been through this. Decide if you want to
        (A) protect the equipment or (B) make it comfy for visitors. Either of those
        two isn't too expensive, but doing both is very costly. I'd opt to protect the
        equipment in any room where there are delicate/old machines, but have carpeting
        in areas where there are static (nice pun) displays that aren't in danger of ESD
        damage, such as magazines, articles, posters, pictures, etc.

        BTW, humidity reduces the chances of ESD, but doesn't solve it. It's extremely
        humid right now but my kids are sticking balloons to our ceiling by rubbing them
        against their head. That's static electricity.

        Bob
        (someone who works in strict ESD compliance every day)

        NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net