static discharge and exhibits - was Re: [midatlanticretro] Lots of schlepping got done tonight ... closer to our goal!

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2007
      All,

      The only sure way may be to prevent the unwashed from ever touching the exhibits where static is a problem. Offices with this heavy-duty carpet are the worst for static especially in winter with the lower relative humidity. We need to err to to side of caution.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 9, 2007
        Jim Scheef wrote:
        > All,
        >
        > The only sure way may be to prevent the unwashed from ever touching the exhibits where static is a problem. Offices with this heavy-duty carpet are the worst for static especially in winter with the lower relative humidity. We need to err to to side of caution.

        Or have humidifiers running in the winter months?

        Cheers,

        Bryan

      • Bob Applegate
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 9, 2007
          Keep in mind that you do NOT want insulators... two insulators in contact or
          close proximity will GENERATE static electricity. Just think this through...
          if you were walking on something conductive that was grounded, then any static
          charge on your body would be drained to ground, right? If you had insulators
          rubbing (think of a balloon rubbing against your hair), you would get a much
          more powerful charge.

          In ESD work areas (like most of the labs at my work), we coat the floors with
          conductive wax. All mobile benches and chairs have chains dragging on the floor
          to dissipate any charge.

          This is about the third time we've been through this. Decide if you want to
          (A) protect the equipment or (B) make it comfy for visitors. Either of those
          two isn't too expensive, but doing both is very costly. I'd opt to protect the
          equipment in any room where there are delicate/old machines, but have carpeting
          in areas where there are static (nice pun) displays that aren't in danger of ESD
          damage, such as magazines, articles, posters, pictures, etc.

          BTW, humidity reduces the chances of ESD, but doesn't solve it. It's extremely
          humid right now but my kids are sticking balloons to our ceiling by rubbing them
          against their head. That's static electricity.

          Bob
          (someone who works in strict ESD compliance every day)

          NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net