RE: [midatlanticretro] Lots of schlepping got done tonight ... closer to our goal!

  • bob van cleef
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 9, 2007
      GOOD POINT!  There are special carpets made with embeded wire or carbon fibers, made just for this.  Having personally seen photo-micrographs of the results of static electricity taken by DEC "back in the day", taking into account the potential (pun intended) volume of traffic through the exhibit area, I can guarantee the future is very dim indeed unless we address this problem immediately.  I have always maintained that static electricity MUST be kept to the very minimum in all my past work areas.  I've worked in computer hardware  design for over 35 years.  My experience has told me that computer cases are no guarantee that components (ICs) will be protected unless other efforts are taken to eliminate static electricity at the source level.
      Bob Van Cleef

      "Greg N Shari (GMail)" <goodtimepa@...> wrote:
      Major Kudos to Evan and the few who have helped him get to this point. All the hard work you folks have put in for this does not go without notice. You all deserve a medal for your hard work and dedication to the museum. I wish I had the time and ability to help some myself. There is one thing I wish to bring up for discussion and input that we don't want to overlook. That is the extreme risk with the old equipment and the ever present danger of static electricity with carpeted areas.

      As we all know this older equiptment is very suceptible and sensitive to this threat. We should be sure to make a decision on how this will be dealt with before too much longer. I hope this is useful for me to bring up now as I would hate to put a damper on any progress being made. Has any thought been given to this topic as yet?

      Have a great day,
      Greg Manuel

      Subject line is accurate: tonight Joe and I moved around dozens of
      computers. Specifically, we consolidated two of our smaller rooms'
      worth of computers into one room. Later, after tonight's InfoAge
      board meeting, I also moved many of the computers from our larger room
      into the leftover space in one of the smaller rooms. Yes I know that
      sounds a bit convoluted but, trust me, it makes sense when you see our
      layout. (This basically un-does all the moving things around that we
      accomplished in the last workday, the point of which at the time was
      to make room for high school volunteers to paint our walls; now that's
      done so we had to reorganize again.)

      Bottom line: of our four museum rooms in the second building (one
      large room, three small rooms), the large one (nearest that building's
      entrance) is almost cleared out. The clearing can be finished in that
      room with a couple of helpers and just a couple of hours, if not less.
      Then we can unroll the 12x30-foot carpet which InfoAge bought for us,
      and -- presto-chango! -- instant MARCH museum room #1 is ready for
      exhibits.

      Still need to take another pass at all the chipped paint in our
      entranceway, and Steve will probably take the initiative to swap out
      some of the sheetrock in there, and then finally Fred will assist us
      in painting the entranceway' s metal frame and doors with some
      to-be-determined color of Rustoleum.

      Beyond that, we'll get some carpet in the hallway, get started on
      decorating the hallway walls (big timeline?), but most important we'll
      be able to make some real exhibits. Sometime this fall, we should be
      ready to officially move out of our tiny room in the hotel building,
      and officially declare our real museum "open" for business. (We'll
      finish up in the adjacent three rooms over time.)

      Also going into this fall, I'll talk to Fred about fixing up the small
      sidewalk leading to our entranceway. Most of it is cracked and/or
      over-run with dirt and weeds. It needs to be replaced. While we're
      at it, we will (to be determined) make or purchase a nice-looking
      exterior sign that says "MARCH - Grabbe Computer Museum" or whatever
      name we decide on. Then we can have a party (woot!), invite Mr.
      Grabbe and some local media, etc. ... this is gonna be awesome.

      And so, as stated in a recent message, the next official work day is
      Saturday, August 25, 10:30am - whenever. (Or anyone can send me a
      private message if you're interested in coming to help before then,
      even during a weekday or evening.)

      - Evan
      .

      Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 9, 2007
        >>> GOOD POINT! There are special carpets

        And do you know how much they cost? Yeah... lots.

        I did check out some anti-static mats and those are pricey, too. InfoAge
        does have a stash of generic rubber mats, and rubber is a pretty good
        insulator. :)

        I don't know if Fred has any plans for these mats, but I will ask. Maybe
        we can use them to make a walkway (of sorts) around the inside perimeter
        of wherever we put displays.

        It also may help that we're using thin industrial carpet, not anything
        fluffy. (I'm not exactly sure HOW that may help, but I do recall reading
        about it once.)
      • Bill Sudbrink
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 9, 2007
          I seem to recall that a solution of 1 part laundry softener to
          5? parts water, misted onto the carpet once a week will just about
          eliminate static problems.

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          5:38 PM