Re: [midatlanticretro] Important museum update

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 6 2:01 PM
      Heh ... you guys make a good point ... "Don't burn down the museum." :)

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 11, 2013
        Jeff J., Corey, and myself all did some museum work this week. We found
        some bad news, water-wise, about our warehouse area.

        Most important thing first: nothing is damaged. A few boxes are slightly
        wet, etc., but that's all.

        What happened is the outside roof tarp gave way in the last storm. In
        response to that, Jeff J. and I last week bought several smaller indoor
        tarps to cover the vast majority of our equipment. We considered this
        precautionary, because other than one specific corner, there aren't any
        significant leaks on the half of the building where our storage resides.
        All of the bad leaks are across the hall, which is mostly empty space
        right now. Those are VERY bad, but they aren't impacting our collection.

        The new tarps worked -- sort of. Rather than divert any water around our
        shelving units and onto the floor, they "caught" water in some puddles
        atop the tarps.

        Jeff was there again this past Sunday and did what he could (he was
        working alone) to tip that water off the tarps and onto the floor, which
        is safer than it appears, because the shelving units are all several
        inches off the floor due to their wheels/legs. Corey and I did another
        round of that today.

        The latest weather report calls for light snow on Saturday and rain on
        Sunday. Corey volunteered to go to the museum at least once a week, for
        the next couple of months, to continue the process if necessary.

        I went to talk to Fred about all of this. He had mixed news for us.

        The town council was supposed to discuss the roof bid/contract at their
        meeting tonight. Now they aren't. Apparently they have 175K put aside
        for the roofs (our section and six others), but the work estimate
        increased into the 200s, so they're trying to find money for it. Fred
        asked the town officials, "Why can't you just do what you can now [such
        as MARCH's section -EK] and finish the rest later?" ... he's waiting for
        an answer.

        However, Fred also said he's ready and able to spend some InfoAge money
        on new outdoor tarps for our building -- better ones than the previous
        outdoor tarps -- and he's trying to make arrangements with the
        contractor that does this work.

        I'm trying to find out how much the better outdoor tarps cost. Maybe
        MARCH could help InfoAge pay for it. Money tends to grease the wheels.

        So, when some of you visit our storage area during Festivus (we'll do an
        organized trip across campus), please "don't panic" as stated on the
        cover of HHGG. It might look bad inside: giant leaks/puddles on the
        empty side and possibly some small rivers between the aisles among our
        shelving units. * We * put those rivers there ... it stinks, but it's
        better than having the water atop our collection.

        Given the cold, and the vast size of the building, there's no point in
        running a small dehumidifier.

        We always said that our collection, while in a building without HVAC, at
        least had a solid roof, security, and a concrete floor. Right now we
        really only have 2 of those 3 things. Our roof is in bad shape. The town
        has the money earmarked to fix it but they're moving crazy slow.

        Fred suggested that as an extra precaution we might be able to hang some
        of the indoor tarps at an angle, rather than just laying them across the
        top of the shelves, so they automatically divert water onto the floor. I
        don't know if that will work because we have a lot of equipment in the room.

        One half of our current half of the building has no leaks at all. We
        just might stuff everything onto that side, temporarily, until there's a
        better outer tarp and/or until the roof is fixed. I hope to avoid that
        step because it would be massively inconvenient (we wouldn't be able to
        get to anything) .... holding off on a decision for now.

        There is also some unrelated good news.

        - I heard back from "The Americans" prop folks. They're probably going
        to do another rental from us after the new year.

        - In the museum, Corey hung up a very nice (and extremely funny!) framed
        puzzle of a cartoon computer that I built with my girlfriend, after Jeff
        J. and I found it during a rescue mission several months ago. The puzzle
        is colorful and looks great on our wall. Here it is a few months ago
        before I framed it: http://snarc.net/puzzle.jpg and here it is now
        hanging in the museum next to our IBM 1130: http://snarc.net/puzzle2.jpg.

        - Corey and I also moved some clutter out of the way in the building
        9059 event room where Festivus will be held. In addition, Corey dropped
        off his own projecter; an Apple II+ loaded with games on a CF card; and
        some adult beverages.

        - InfoAge carpeted our museum hallway a few weeks ago. Much nicer than
        hideous old tile! I would have preferred new clean tile, but it's still
        an upgrade. Today I vacuumed the hallway and all four of our exhibit rooms.