Re: [midatlanticretro] Important museum update

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 6, 2007

      In any event, you might have to resort to just painting over to avoid any EPA issues regarding paint removal/fumes on an old gov't/state installation since there's most likely lead in that paint--in some or all the layers--there's strict guidelines for lead paint removal. Something Fred probably didnt want to elaborate to avoid giving you any more headaches :)

      A blowtorch, as suggested previously, has a much higher temp than a heatgun, >1000F
      At least with a heatgun, you can use the low setting , usually 700/800F
      Even a heatgun can cause burn spots in wood if not used correctly.
      In combination with the large surface area of the sheet metal doorframe creates a heatsink which disperses the heat.
      An old trick I always do on a window pane is to cover the window glass with sheet metal to protect it from cracking under the heat when removing old paint.

      =Dan

      William Donzelli wrote:

      > You van try using a Heatgun (not a hairdryer) it's not as lethal as a blowtorch, but still effective. It'll make the paint layers bubble up so you can scrape it off with a putty knife.

      If the metal doorframes come anywhere near contact with wood, even
      studs inside the walls, using a heat gun is ABSOLUTELY NOT
      RECOMMENDED. The risk for fire is very large. If the metal doorframes
      ONLY touch masonry, you can use a heat gun.

      Heatguns are OK on wood, of course.

      --
      Will

    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 6, 2007
        Dan Roganti wrote:
        > A blowtorch, as suggested previously, has a much higher temp than a
        > heatgun, >1000F
        > At least with a heatgun, you can use the low setting , usually 700/800F
        > Even a heatgun can cause burn spots in wood if not used correctly.
        > In combination with the large surface area of the sheet metal doorframe
        > creates a heatsink which disperses the heat.
        > An old trick I always do on a window pane is to cover the window glass
        > with sheet metal to protect it from cracking under the heat when
        > removing old paint.

        I've done a fair amount of work restoring old wooden fireplace mantles.
        I've found that there are quite a few solvents out there that work
        just as well as heat, but are much more gentle. Just read some of the
        reviews.

        Peace... Sridhar
      • William Donzelli
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 6, 2007
          > A blowtorch, as suggested previously, has a much higher temp than a heatgun, >1000F
          > At least with a heatgun, you can use the low setting , usually 700/800F
          > Even a heatgun can cause burn spots in wood if not used correctly.
          > In combination with the large surface area of the sheet metal doorframe creates a heatsink which disperses the heat.

          Really, using a heatgun on a metal doorframe with contact to wood
          within the wall is REALLY DANGEROUS. Yes, the metal sinks the heat.
          Where? Unless you rip the wall open, you do not know. It might sink it
          to a select few places with dry old wood, or some of the awful
          flammable junk that used to pass for insulation. The thermal
          resistance of a metal to wood joint is much lower that that of the
          hot-air to wood (or hot-air to metal, for that matter). It is easy to
          get carried away with a hot-air gun (the temperature controls on those
          things are not precise, as well), and you really might not know about
          charring wood within the wall until too late.

          As for stripping around glass on a window? Remove the glass. The putty
          holding the pane is probably in need a replacement anyway.

          --
          Will
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 6, 2007
            Heh ... you guys make a good point ... "Don't burn down the museum." :)

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 11, 2013
              Jeff J., Corey, and myself all did some museum work this week. We found
              some bad news, water-wise, about our warehouse area.

              Most important thing first: nothing is damaged. A few boxes are slightly
              wet, etc., but that's all.

              What happened is the outside roof tarp gave way in the last storm. In
              response to that, Jeff J. and I last week bought several smaller indoor
              tarps to cover the vast majority of our equipment. We considered this
              precautionary, because other than one specific corner, there aren't any
              significant leaks on the half of the building where our storage resides.
              All of the bad leaks are across the hall, which is mostly empty space
              right now. Those are VERY bad, but they aren't impacting our collection.

              The new tarps worked -- sort of. Rather than divert any water around our
              shelving units and onto the floor, they "caught" water in some puddles
              atop the tarps.

              Jeff was there again this past Sunday and did what he could (he was
              working alone) to tip that water off the tarps and onto the floor, which
              is safer than it appears, because the shelving units are all several
              inches off the floor due to their wheels/legs. Corey and I did another
              round of that today.

              The latest weather report calls for light snow on Saturday and rain on
              Sunday. Corey volunteered to go to the museum at least once a week, for
              the next couple of months, to continue the process if necessary.

              I went to talk to Fred about all of this. He had mixed news for us.

              The town council was supposed to discuss the roof bid/contract at their
              meeting tonight. Now they aren't. Apparently they have 175K put aside
              for the roofs (our section and six others), but the work estimate
              increased into the 200s, so they're trying to find money for it. Fred
              asked the town officials, "Why can't you just do what you can now [such
              as MARCH's section -EK] and finish the rest later?" ... he's waiting for
              an answer.

              However, Fred also said he's ready and able to spend some InfoAge money
              on new outdoor tarps for our building -- better ones than the previous
              outdoor tarps -- and he's trying to make arrangements with the
              contractor that does this work.

              I'm trying to find out how much the better outdoor tarps cost. Maybe
              MARCH could help InfoAge pay for it. Money tends to grease the wheels.

              So, when some of you visit our storage area during Festivus (we'll do an
              organized trip across campus), please "don't panic" as stated on the
              cover of HHGG. It might look bad inside: giant leaks/puddles on the
              empty side and possibly some small rivers between the aisles among our
              shelving units. * We * put those rivers there ... it stinks, but it's
              better than having the water atop our collection.

              Given the cold, and the vast size of the building, there's no point in
              running a small dehumidifier.

              We always said that our collection, while in a building without HVAC, at
              least had a solid roof, security, and a concrete floor. Right now we
              really only have 2 of those 3 things. Our roof is in bad shape. The town
              has the money earmarked to fix it but they're moving crazy slow.

              Fred suggested that as an extra precaution we might be able to hang some
              of the indoor tarps at an angle, rather than just laying them across the
              top of the shelves, so they automatically divert water onto the floor. I
              don't know if that will work because we have a lot of equipment in the room.

              One half of our current half of the building has no leaks at all. We
              just might stuff everything onto that side, temporarily, until there's a
              better outer tarp and/or until the roof is fixed. I hope to avoid that
              step because it would be massively inconvenient (we wouldn't be able to
              get to anything) .... holding off on a decision for now.

              There is also some unrelated good news.

              - I heard back from "The Americans" prop folks. They're probably going
              to do another rental from us after the new year.

              - In the museum, Corey hung up a very nice (and extremely funny!) framed
              puzzle of a cartoon computer that I built with my girlfriend, after Jeff
              J. and I found it during a rescue mission several months ago. The puzzle
              is colorful and looks great on our wall. Here it is a few months ago
              before I framed it: http://snarc.net/puzzle.jpg and here it is now
              hanging in the museum next to our IBM 1130: http://snarc.net/puzzle2.jpg.

              - Corey and I also moved some clutter out of the way in the building
              9059 event room where Festivus will be held. In addition, Corey dropped
              off his own projecter; an Apple II+ loaded with games on a CF card; and
              some adult beverages.

              - InfoAge carpeted our museum hallway a few weeks ago. Much nicer than
              hideous old tile! I would have preferred new clean tile, but it's still
              an upgrade. Today I vacuumed the hallway and all four of our exhibit rooms.