Wifi at Infoage

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2007
      Just had an idea regarding WiFi internet access at Infoage...

      Has anyone ever heard of La Fonera router? Its a small, white WiFi router, produced by a European Company called fon. It provides unlimited WiFi access to the internet for $2 a day, one dollar of which goes to fon, the other dollar goes to whoever purchased the router. So if MARCH were to purchase the $50 router, onve 50 people sign on, it will have been paid for. You can also get free access through it, because on the bottom of the router is the WEP encryption key for that serial number router. My brother recently won one of these, I could bring it in today to show, but he already registered it, so we wouldn't be able to use it.

    • Evan
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2007
        Thanks for the tip.
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2007
          Joe,

          Very interesting. I had not heard of this 'service' but, naturally, others have. See http://stefans.datenbruch.de/lafonera/ for more information on how this router works and how to "open it up". The problem with getting Wi-Fi working at InfoAge is not the fact there there is no router - I'll donate a router. The problem is that the router needs a DSL or cable connection to the Internet. There is no DSL or cable at InfoAge, at least not in the hotel. There is not even a phone. That's why we did the Wi-Fi connection across the street for VCF. That link worked much better than I had expected but it is not something we can do all the time. There has been talk of Verizon donating DSL service to InfoAge or MARCH. Someday we'll get all this working.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4, 2007
            Not entirely correct, there is a phone in the gift shop / office in the hotel.

            Just got home. Joe and I worked our butts off today. Details to follow...