RE: [midatlanticretro] Winchester Disk Controller Card

  • Kelly Leavitt
    Message 1 of 5 , May 30, 2005

      Is it really a "Longshine" card (the name on the box)? Or was it just being
      stored in a longshine box? Seems like a long shot, but they (Longshine) are
      still in business. I just had them email me a manual for one of their cards
      from the early 90's (it was a XT floppy controller).

      Kelly
    • billdeg@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 30, 2005
        Kelly,

        I was thinking the same thing, because the part number on the box matches an
        ISA 8-bit drive controller (PC/XT), but the card looks like it's for a TRS 80
        Model III or 4. I don't know as much about TRS 80 cards and drives.

        I could take my model 4 apart; perhaps it has a harddrive controller card
        installed, but I want to avoid that if possible.

        Are you working on an XT? Last week I restored a 5150 PC back to it's
        original two-drive configuration.

        Bill

        In a message dated 5/30/2005 2:57:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        kelly@... writes:

        > Is it really a "Longshine" card (the name on the box)? Or was it just being
        > stored in a longshine box? Seems like a long shot, but they (Longshine) are
        > still in business. I just had them email me a manual for one of their cards
        > from the early 90's (it was a XT floppy controller).
        >
        > Kelly
      • Kelly Leavitt
        Message 3 of 5 , May 30, 2005
          > I was thinking the same thing, because the part number on the
          > box matches an
          > ISA 8-bit drive controller (PC/XT), but the card looks like
          > it's for a TRS 80
          > Model III or 4. I don't know as much about TRS 80 cards and drives.
          If it is for the model 4, then it is (probably) not a hard disk controller.
          The Model 4 used the bus connector from the motherboard for a hard drive
          interface. It then essentially drove a WD1002-HD0 card mounted in an
          external box with an MFM drive. If anything, this is probably a floppy
          controller for the model III/IV (many shipped without a floppy controller
          installed). It could also (although not likely) be a Model IV to SASI
          interface. Do you have any part numbers on the board at all? What is the
          number on the big (around 40 pin) WD chip in the center of the card? I can
          look it up in my data book. Also, how many connectors are there on the card
          edge. I'm guessing there are 34. If so, then floppy. If 50, then it could be
          SASI.

          > I could take my model 4 apart; perhaps it has a harddrive
          > controller card
          > installed, but I want to avoid that if possible.

          See my note above. The model 4 did not have a specific hard drive controller
          built in at all (that I know of). There is a 50 pin card edge connector
          facing the bottom of the cabinet in the back. That is where you plugged in
          the cable that went to the external hard drive box. In this was (usually) a
          WD1002-HDO or a "tandyized" version of such.

          > Are you working on an XT? Last week I restored a 5150 PC
          > back to it's
          > original two-drive configuration.
          Not at the moment. You can read about my saga restoring an IBM 5155 portable
          to original condition on CCTalk.

          Right now, I'm in the process of building a "super duplicator" computer for
          all my old formats. I'm in the process of putting together a 6 floppy Linux
          machine using Debian "woody" Linux, with two floppy controllers plus an old
          catweasel I picked up on EBAY. When finished, I'll have 1xDS/DD 5.25" drives
          (for reading my old tandy stuff). 1x3.5" 1.44meg drive for booting, 2x8"
          DS/DD drives for reading my old tandy junk (if I can find an FDC that I can
          set as secondary that will actualy do FM encoding) and 2 5.25" DS/HD drives
          for making archive copies of the old 8" media. I may replace the 3.5" drive
          with another 5.25" DS/DD when all is said and done. I have most of this
          already working. I'm trying to find a nice enclosure for the 2 8" drives so
          I don't have a bunch of exposed electronics on the desk here. Here is the
          current configuration:

          FDC0 -> 3.5" DS/HD drive 0
          FDC0 -> 5.25" DS/DD drive 1
          FDC1 -> 5.25" DS/HD drive 0
          FDC2 -> 8" DS/DD drive 1
          Catweasel0 -> 5.25" DS/HD drive 0
          Catweasel0 -> 8" DS/DD drive 1

          Like I said, so far, all of this is working. I just can't handle FM on FDC1
          (but I can on the catweasel).

          Whew, that's all for now.

          Kelly

          > Bill
          >

          > In a message dated 5/30/2005 2:57:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          > kelly@... writes:
          >
          > > Is it really a "Longshine" card (the name on the box)? Or
          > was it just being
          > > stored in a longshine box? Seems like a long shot, but
          > they (Longshine) are
          > > still in business. I just had them email me a manual for
          > one of their cards
          > > from the early 90's (it was a XT floppy controller).
          > >
          > > Kelly
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2005
            Does anyone have an extra Model III taking up space? I'm looking
            for one with 2 drives and 48Kb RAM, RS-232 would be nice. It was my first
            computer. :-)

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...