RE: [midatlanticretro] Very cool find!

  • Bill Sudbrink
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3 8:08 AM
      Basically, a differential analyzer is a very large slide rule.  Some good footage of one can be seen in the
      science fiction movie "When Worlds Collide".
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3 8:23 AM
        On Fri, 3 Aug 2007, Bill Sudbrink wrote:

        > Basically, a differential analyzer is a very large slide rule. Some good
        > footage of one can be seen in the
        > science fiction movie "When Worlds Collide".

        http://www.aps.org/publications/apsnews/200208/history.cfm
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:KayMcNultyAlyseSnyderSisStumpDifferentialAnalyzer.jpg
        http://www.library.upenn.edu/exhibits/rbm/mauchly/jwm5.html

        ...and an excerpt from :

        http://ftp.arl.mil/~mike/comphist/61ordnance/chap1.html

        "The Moore School of Electrical Engineering of the University of
        Pennsylvania had a Bush Differential Analyzer of somewhat larger capacity
        than the one at Aberdeen Proving Ground. It had fourteen integrating units
        instead of ten. Therefore the Ordnance Department awarded a contract to
        the University of Pennsylvania for the utilization of this device. Several
        additional contracts were later awarded to the University to carry out
        different phases of the increasingly important role which it was to play
        in the computation activities of the Ordnance Department during the war.

        Lt. P. N. Gillon, in his capacity as officer in charge of ballistic
        computations, conferred frequently with Dean Pender, Professor Brainerd,
        and their associates at the Moore School in order to effect proper
        coordination of the computational work at the two localities, Philadelphia
        and Aberdeen. There was a very talented group at the Moore School under
        the direction of Professor Brainerd and as a result of Lt. Gillon's
        discussions with them Assistant Professor Weygand undertook to develop an
        electronic torque amplifier to replace the mechanical torque amplifiers on
        the Bush Differential Analyzers. This work was eminently successful and,
        in addition, photoelectric followers were developed by the Moore School
        group for both the input and output tables of the analyzer. As a result of
        these accomplishments the productive capacity of the analyzers at both the
        Moore School and Aberdeen Proving Ground were enhanced by at least an
        order of magnitude."

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3 9:06 AM
          Awesome information. Thanks for checking into this, Mike.