Re: [midatlanticretro] Very cool find!

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
      Evan and all,

      Well, it says its a bill for 84 hours at night and 95 hours of daytime use of the Moore School's differential analyzer (a type of analog calculating device produced in the late 30's). It has nothing to do with the ENIAC or even with actual computers, but is cool none the less. It makes sense that people at Fort Monmouth (and Camp Evans) would need to solve large differential equations in their research and development activities and a differential analyzer would be way faster than mechanical desk calculators! The date is in 1947, after ENIAC had been announced to the public. I wonder how much the Moore School charged for time on the ENIAC.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
        Basically, a differential analyzer is a very large slide rule.  Some good footage of one can be seen in the
        science fiction movie "When Worlds Collide".

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
          On Fri, 3 Aug 2007, Bill Sudbrink wrote:

          > Basically, a differential analyzer is a very large slide rule. Some good
          > footage of one can be seen in the
          > science fiction movie "When Worlds Collide".

          http://www.aps.org/publications/apsnews/200208/history.cfm
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:KayMcNultyAlyseSnyderSisStumpDifferentialAnalyzer.jpg
          http://www.library.upenn.edu/exhibits/rbm/mauchly/jwm5.html

          ...and an excerpt from :

          http://ftp.arl.mil/~mike/comphist/61ordnance/chap1.html

          "The Moore School of Electrical Engineering of the University of
          Pennsylvania had a Bush Differential Analyzer of somewhat larger capacity
          than the one at Aberdeen Proving Ground. It had fourteen integrating units
          instead of ten. Therefore the Ordnance Department awarded a contract to
          the University of Pennsylvania for the utilization of this device. Several
          additional contracts were later awarded to the University to carry out
          different phases of the increasingly important role which it was to play
          in the computation activities of the Ordnance Department during the war.

          Lt. P. N. Gillon, in his capacity as officer in charge of ballistic
          computations, conferred frequently with Dean Pender, Professor Brainerd,
          and their associates at the Moore School in order to effect proper
          coordination of the computational work at the two localities, Philadelphia
          and Aberdeen. There was a very talented group at the Moore School under
          the direction of Professor Brainerd and as a result of Lt. Gillon's
          discussions with them Assistant Professor Weygand undertook to develop an
          electronic torque amplifier to replace the mechanical torque amplifiers on
          the Bush Differential Analyzers. This work was eminently successful and,
          in addition, photoelectric followers were developed by the Moore School
          group for both the input and output tables of the analyzer. As a result of
          these accomplishments the productive capacity of the analyzers at both the
          Moore School and Aberdeen Proving Ground were enhanced by at least an
          order of magnitude."

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
            Awesome information. Thanks for checking into this, Mike.