This Saturday

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007

      Hi guys, I haven’t got anything to do this Saturday so I might go work at the museum.  Anybody want to join me for an informal work day on the MARCH rooms?

    • Troposphere
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
        I'm interested in finding out what's involved.  What is needed?

        During what hours is it needed?

        Regards,
        Rich Solomon
        troposphere@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007

          Rich,

          Welcome to MARCH.  How did you find out about us?  What’s your background with computers and collecting?

          Usually our work days go from around 10:30am until the late afternoon / early evening.  Since you’re new here, when you arrive at the museum, you’d get a full behind-the-scenes tour.

          Our group is just one of a dozen or so based at the InfoAge Science Center.  We have three areas on the campus: a small, public “preview” exhibit room; a secure storage room; and one half of an entire wing that will be our real museum space for the next few years.

          That last part – our long-term museum space – is where we’re currently focusing our renovation work.  About 95% of the work is done by us – “us” all being volunteers, even the InfoAge CEO and everyone involved.  The only paid work is for professional subcontractors, i.e., we recently got a new roof installed onto our long-term area.  The InfoAge organization paid for that because it’s a major expense.

          What I’d like to start this weekend, which I planned but didn’t get to last weekend, is to scrape a bunch of old lead-based paint off the walls of our future entranceway.  For this task, we’ll wear duskmasks, and Fred (aforementioned InfoAge CEO) advised me that we should also wet down the paint with a spray bottle before scraping it off.  Another day, once the old lobby paint is gone, we can repaint it.

          Not much fun, huh?

          Honestly, it IS fun.  We get to delete decades of worn-out paint and restore the original walls in that building, which was constructed during WWII.  This may sound corny but I find this hugely satisfying.

          Or, if scraping paint isn’t your thing, then we have plenty of other such tasks.  Some are MARCH-specific, many more are general InfoAge tasks, but they all need doing.

          And of course, sometimes we take breaks to eat and tinker with our massive collection of vintage computers.

          - Evan

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
            Evan,

            I learned about MARCH when I visited the Vintage Computer Expo event a couple of months ago.  You might recall me as the guy who said he had an old TI/99-4A computer and that I was disappointed not to find one on display.

            My background is learning to program on the TI and TRS-80 line when I was in my early teens, and then I got my first PC in 1993.  I started professional programming with VB 3.0 and FoxPro 2.0 ( DOS ), and now I do C++, and .NET.

            I am generally good at working with my hands, and with hand tools.

            I would like to help and be a part of things, but I wouldn't feel comfortable committing a whole day right at the beginning.

            Do you have a "beginner's program?"

            Regards,
            Rich Solomon
            troposphere@...

            troposphere@ comcast.net

            Hi guys, I haven’t got anything to do this Saturday so I might go work at the museum.  Anybody want to join me for an informal work day on the MARCH rooms?

          • Evan
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
              There is no time quota. Come help for an hour, two hours, a half-day, a full day, weekend ... you get the idea. Every block of help counts and we will be grateful. (Email me off-list if you wish to discuss specifics, etc. - evank@...)