Commodore 64 Disk Archive Project

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2007
      Whew!

      It's not easy to automate the process of archiving C64 / C128 files. I had
      been experimenting with a lot of labor-intensive methods. Bryan Pope
      showed me a method for imaging disks using a Retro Replay and an RR-Net
      made by Individual Computers. You can sometimes purchase these from
      Protovision in Germany:
      http://protovision-online.de

      At the time there were no Retro Replays available so I substituted it for a
      MMC64, also from Individual Computers. The advantage of the MMC64 is that
      it has a built-in SD card reader. In theory you can download your entire
      64 library to an SD card and never use a disk drive again.

      If you're interested in how to make archives of C64 disks in about 20
      seconds, follow this link:

      If you'd like to download a few D64 images to test them and let me know if
      they work for you, I'd appreciate the help:
      http://www.vintagecomputer.net/commodore/64/d64_library/
      ...I made these using the tools and techniques described above.

      NOTE: D64 is the "zip file" of the C64 world, a diskette image merged into
      one file. This is necessary to allow copying of non-PC-friendly Commodore
      file names.

      Now I have a little C64 station permanently networked to my PC, and about
      2000 more disks to go!

      Bill Degnan