Winchester Disk Controller Card

  • billdeg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 30, 2005
      I believe that this is for a TRS 80 Model 4, Can anyone confirm from the
      following pictures and/or experience with these cards?
      http://www.vintagecomputer.net/tandy/controllers/winchester_disk_controller_ca
      rd.jpg
      http://www.vintagecomputer.net/tandy/controllers/winchester_lcs-6210D_back.jpg

      I looked up the part number, but I could not find any reliable sources of
      info. When I compared the layout of the card with a TRS 80 Model III drive
      controller card it was about the same, just a little shorter. Anyone have any
      specific info about this card or experience using it? I don't think this card is
      for an IBM.

      Anyone want one of these controllers? I also have some extra RS 232 kits for
      Model III/4, and some Model 1 expansion unit disk doubler kits if anyone is
      interested. Send me a SASE with adequate padding and I will return the
      card/kit of your choice.
      http://www.vintagecomputer.net/tandy/controllers

      Bill
    • Kelly Leavitt
      Message 2 of 5 , May 30, 2005

        Is it really a "Longshine" card (the name on the box)? Or was it just being
        stored in a longshine box? Seems like a long shot, but they (Longshine) are
        still in business. I just had them email me a manual for one of their cards
        from the early 90's (it was a XT floppy controller).

        Kelly
      • billdeg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 30, 2005
          Kelly,

          I was thinking the same thing, because the part number on the box matches an
          ISA 8-bit drive controller (PC/XT), but the card looks like it's for a TRS 80
          Model III or 4. I don't know as much about TRS 80 cards and drives.

          I could take my model 4 apart; perhaps it has a harddrive controller card
          installed, but I want to avoid that if possible.

          Are you working on an XT? Last week I restored a 5150 PC back to it's
          original two-drive configuration.

          Bill

          In a message dated 5/30/2005 2:57:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          kelly@... writes:

          > Is it really a "Longshine" card (the name on the box)? Or was it just being
          > stored in a longshine box? Seems like a long shot, but they (Longshine) are
          > still in business. I just had them email me a manual for one of their cards
          > from the early 90's (it was a XT floppy controller).
          >
          > Kelly
        • Kelly Leavitt
          Message 4 of 5 , May 30, 2005
            > I was thinking the same thing, because the part number on the
            > box matches an
            > ISA 8-bit drive controller (PC/XT), but the card looks like
            > it's for a TRS 80
            > Model III or 4. I don't know as much about TRS 80 cards and drives.
            If it is for the model 4, then it is (probably) not a hard disk controller.
            The Model 4 used the bus connector from the motherboard for a hard drive
            interface. It then essentially drove a WD1002-HD0 card mounted in an
            external box with an MFM drive. If anything, this is probably a floppy
            controller for the model III/IV (many shipped without a floppy controller
            installed). It could also (although not likely) be a Model IV to SASI
            interface. Do you have any part numbers on the board at all? What is the
            number on the big (around 40 pin) WD chip in the center of the card? I can
            look it up in my data book. Also, how many connectors are there on the card
            edge. I'm guessing there are 34. If so, then floppy. If 50, then it could be
            SASI.

            > I could take my model 4 apart; perhaps it has a harddrive
            > controller card
            > installed, but I want to avoid that if possible.

            See my note above. The model 4 did not have a specific hard drive controller
            built in at all (that I know of). There is a 50 pin card edge connector
            facing the bottom of the cabinet in the back. That is where you plugged in
            the cable that went to the external hard drive box. In this was (usually) a
            WD1002-HDO or a "tandyized" version of such.

            > Are you working on an XT? Last week I restored a 5150 PC
            > back to it's
            > original two-drive configuration.
            Not at the moment. You can read about my saga restoring an IBM 5155 portable
            to original condition on CCTalk.

            Right now, I'm in the process of building a "super duplicator" computer for
            all my old formats. I'm in the process of putting together a 6 floppy Linux
            machine using Debian "woody" Linux, with two floppy controllers plus an old
            catweasel I picked up on EBAY. When finished, I'll have 1xDS/DD 5.25" drives
            (for reading my old tandy stuff). 1x3.5" 1.44meg drive for booting, 2x8"
            DS/DD drives for reading my old tandy junk (if I can find an FDC that I can
            set as secondary that will actualy do FM encoding) and 2 5.25" DS/HD drives
            for making archive copies of the old 8" media. I may replace the 3.5" drive
            with another 5.25" DS/DD when all is said and done. I have most of this
            already working. I'm trying to find a nice enclosure for the 2 8" drives so
            I don't have a bunch of exposed electronics on the desk here. Here is the
            current configuration:

            FDC0 -> 3.5" DS/HD drive 0
            FDC0 -> 5.25" DS/DD drive 1
            FDC1 -> 5.25" DS/HD drive 0
            FDC2 -> 8" DS/DD drive 1
            Catweasel0 -> 5.25" DS/HD drive 0
            Catweasel0 -> 8" DS/DD drive 1

            Like I said, so far, all of this is working. I just can't handle FM on FDC1
            (but I can on the catweasel).

            Whew, that's all for now.

            Kelly

            > Bill
            >

            > In a message dated 5/30/2005 2:57:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            > kelly@... writes:
            >
            > > Is it really a "Longshine" card (the name on the box)? Or
            > was it just being
            > > stored in a longshine box? Seems like a long shot, but
            > they (Longshine) are
            > > still in business. I just had them email me a manual for
            > one of their cards
            > > from the early 90's (it was a XT floppy controller).
            > >
            > > Kelly
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 6, 2005
              Does anyone have an extra Model III taking up space? I'm looking
              for one with 2 drives and 48Kb RAM, RS-232 would be nice. It was my first
              computer. :-)

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...