PDP-11/20; a loss at InfoAge

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18, 2007
      See the subject line ... we might be getting an 11/20 donated to MARCH this weekend. That is all I know right now.

      Also, sad news: InfoAge facilities manager Larry Wilkins is in bad shape. He had a heart-related condition recently made worse by severe diabetes. He went into a coma last week. Fred told us at the meeting tonight that the family removed Larry from a breathing machine and he has no signs of brain activity. So, he probably will stop breathing soon. :(

      I hate to speak of Larry in the past tense, but he was always very friendly and supportive to MARCH - there were some days when he had more energy than me, even though he is twice my age and has one eye and one leg! I last talked with him at our club work day a couple of weeks ago and he seemed 100% like his normal happy self. That is how I will remember him. As I understand it however, he may live a few hours or a few months in a coma. This is a huge loss for the whole InfoAge community.

      - Evan
    • Jeffrey Frady
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18, 2007
        Oh no.  :-(  He was a really nice guy.  Glad to have met him.  Should we put something together for his family?

        On 7/18/07, Evan < evan@...> wrote:

[...]

        Moderator at http://forums.palm.com
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 18, 2007
          Not yet. Fred advised us all to wait for the family before doing anything. Some of us InfoAge regulars may visit him in the hospital this weekend.

          Without Larry, we would not have carpet, paint, or door locks. Worse, we - I - am losing a friend. Larry showed us how to live to the fullest despite hardships.
        • madodel
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 19, 2007
            Evan wrote:

            > Also, sad news: InfoAge facilities manager Larry Wilkins is in bad shape. He had a heart-related condition recently made worse by severe diabetes. He went into a coma last week. Fred told us at the meeting tonight that the family removed Larry from a breathing machine and he has no signs of brain activity. So, he probably will stop breathing soon. :(
            >
            > I hate to speak of Larry in the past tense, but he was always very friendly and supportive to MARCH - there were some days when he had more energy than me, even though he is twice my age and has one eye and one leg! I last talked with him at our club work day a couple of weeks ago and he seemed 100% like his normal happy self. That is how I will remember him. As I understand it however, he may live a few hours or a few months in a coma. This is a huge loss for the whole InfoAge community.

            Evan,

            Sorry to hear that news. Larry obviously had some health problems, but he
            always was approachable and extremely helpful. The guy just seemed to know
            everything or who to ask. He is a major asset at InfoAge.

            Mark

            --

            From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

            http://www.os2voice.org