Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Anyone know of a source for a PPC 603e or 604 machine

  • madodel@ptdprolog.net
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2005
      In, on 05/28/05 at 03:21 PM,
      madodel@... said:

      Correction to my previous post. My source was wrong on the PPC version.
      According to http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0205H/vnewsf5.htm
      there were only four models which supported OS/2 PPC -

      "Personal Computer Power Series 830 (PowerPC 604) $2,795
      Series 850 (PowerPC 604) under $6,000

      ThinkPad Power Series 820 (PowerPC 603e - less than $6000
      Series 850 - (PowerPC 603e) - annoucned for sale Jul 1995"

      Has anyone ever seen any of these machines?

      Mark

      --

      From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

      Warpstock 2005, Hershey, Pennsylvania, October 6 - 9, 2005 http://www.warpstock.org
      Warpstock Europe 2005, Dresden, Germany, Nov. 18-20 http://www.warpstock.net

      For a choice in the future of personal computing, Join VOICE - http://www.os2voice.org

      "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private power." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message proposing the Monopoly Investigation, 1938
    • William Pechter
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 15, 2005
        Yup... The Thinkpad ran AIX IIRC and was used for Sales Demos of
        software on AIX4.x...

        I think the other boxes were also sold as low-end AIX workstations
        with RS6000 model numbers... but I don't remember.

        The higher end RS6000's ran with SCSI controllers but the OS/2 boxes
        were IDE (IIRC) and also could run AIX v4.1.x.

        I think the workstations were PowerPC 604.

        Been a long time since I worked for IBM (and I ordered a bunch of the
        surplus SCSI versions of the workstations internally for my group)

        Bill

        --- madodel@... wrote:

        > In, on 05/28/05 at 03:21 PM,
        > madodel@... said:
        >

        > Correction to my previous post. My source was wrong on the PPC
        > version.
        > According to
        > http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0205H/vnewsf5.htm
        > there were only four models which supported OS/2 PPC -
        >
        > "Personal Computer Power Series 830 (PowerPC 604) $2,795
        > Series 850 (PowerPC 604) under $6,000
        >
        > ThinkPad Power Series 820 (PowerPC 603e - less than $6000
        > Series 850 - (PowerPC 603e) - annoucned for sale Jul
        > 1995"
        >
        > Has anyone ever seen any of these machines?
        >
        > Mark
        >
        > --
        >
        > From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel
        >
        > Warpstock 2005, Hershey, Pennsylvania, October 6 - 9, 2005
        > http://www.warpstock.org
        > Warpstock Europe 2005, Dresden, Germany, Nov. 18-20
        > http://www.warpstock.net
        >
        > For a choice in the future of personal computing, Join VOICE -
        > http://www.os2voice.org
        >
        > "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the
        > growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than
        > their democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism -
        > ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any
        > controlling private power." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message
        > proposing the Monopoly Investigation, 1938

        Discover Yahoo!
        http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html