ot: Electronic components Central NJ

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 17, 2007
      Does anyoen know of a place in central NJ with a good stock of electrolytic capacitors? Radioshack has poop. I need them to restore an old CRT monitor in a Super Mario Bros arcade cabinet I literally "dumpster dived" for. Needs a full restoration, but the only thing functionally wrong with it is bad caps in the monitor.

      Thanks
      Joe
    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 17, 2007
        Joe Giliberti wrote:
        > Does anyoen know of a place in central NJ with a good stock of
        > electrolytic capacitors? Radioshack has poop. I need them to restore an
        > old CRT monitor in a Super Mario Bros arcade cabinet I literally
        > "dumpster dived" for. Needs a full restoration, but the only thing
        > functionally wrong with it is bad caps in the monitor.

        Just order them online. They'll be to you within a day or so.

        Peace... Sridhar
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 17, 2007
          Greenbrook Electronics, rt. 22 east, in either Dunellen or Greenbrook. I forget how it is listed. But probably easier to order online from Digikey. Ask to speak with one if their techs (24/7!) if you have questions.
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 17, 2007
            I used Ebay in the past.
            bd

            > Does anyoen know of a place in central NJ with a good stock of
            > electrolytic
            > capacitors?
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 17, 2007
              On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Evan wrote:

              > But probably easier to order online from Digikey. Ask to speak with one
              > if their techs (24/7!) if you have questions.

              Also Allied, Mouser, Newark, Jameco and BG Micro:

              http://www.alliedelec.com/

              http://www.mouser.com/

              http://www.newark.com/

              http://www.jameco.com/

              http://www.bgmicro.com/

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • Evan
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 17, 2007
                Absolutely. I just like Digikey because their techs are always helpful and friendly in answering my inevitably dumb questions.
              • Bryan Pope
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 17, 2007
                  Mike Loewen wrote:
                  > On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Evan wrote:
                  >

                  >> But probably easier to order online from Digikey. Ask to speak with one
                  >> if their techs (24/7!) if you have questions.
                  >>

                  > Also Allied, Mouser, Newark, Jameco and BG Micro:
                  >
                  > http://www.alliedelec.com/
                  >
                  > http://www.mouser.com/
                  >
                  > http://www.newark.com/
                  >
                  > http://www.jameco.com/
                  >
                  > http://www.bgmicro.com/

                  And please do not forget Unicorn Electronics which is almost local..
                  near Pittsburgh, PA ---> http://www.unicornelectronics.com/ I have
                  ordered parts from them a couple of times.. They have a lot of hard to
                  find parts, they have great prices and have free shipping when your
                  order is >= $20.00.

                  Cheers,

                  Bryan
                • Joe Giliberti
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 17, 2007
                    I've used mouser before, I think thats where nI'll go. I was hoping for the possibility of making the repairs today. Pray for me, for I'll have my go at discharging a CRT

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 17, 2007
                      Joe Giliberti wrote:
                      > I've used mouser before, I think thats where nI'll go. I was hoping
                      > for the possibility of making the repairs today. Pray for me, for I'll
                      > have my go at discharging a CRT
                      Ahh, you don't need to worry about doing it.. Just give Bill Degnan a
                      ring and he will be right over to discharge that sucker with his bare
                      hands.. ;)

                      Cheers,

                      Bryan
                    • Joe Giliberti
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 17, 2007
                        ouch!

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 17, 2007
                          ouch!

                          Joe Giliberti wrote:
                          > I've used mouser before, I think thats where nI'll go. I was hoping
                          > for the possibility of making the repairs today. Pray for me, for I'll
                          > have my go at discharging a CRT
                          Ahh, you don't need to worry about doing it.. Just give Bill Degnan a
                          ring and he will be right over to discharge that sucker with his bare
                          hands.. ;)

                          lol
                        • Sridhar Ayengar
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 17, 2007
                            Bryan Pope wrote:
                            > Joe Giliberti wrote:
                            >> I've used mouser before, I think thats where nI'll go. I was hoping
                            >> for the possibility of making the repairs today. Pray for me, for I'll
                            >> have my go at discharging a CRT
                            > Ahh, you don't need to worry about doing it.. Just give Bill Degnan a
                            > ring and he will be right over to discharge that sucker with his bare
                            > hands.. ;)

                            I once had the misfortune of doing exactly that. Still have the scar.

                            Peace... Sridhar
                          • Ray Fantini
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 18, 2007
                              I have wasted many hours repairing displays, worked in a TV shop back in High School repairing CRT displays for bowling alleys and the like. Replacing the capacitors is a good idea although may find the only problems will be in the Horizontal output on the high B+ side their are none in the HV line so don't need to deal with discharging that, and the capacitors in the vertical output, when changing capacitors in the vertical output beware! if their was a original non polarized in the vertical discharge only use non polarized replacements or bad things happen. other then that the power supply filters and the like are all fairly generic, as long as their transformer and not switching.
                              Ray Fantini
                            • John Allain
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 18, 2007
                                > Does anyoen know of a place in central NJ with a good stock of
                                > electrolytic capacitors?

                                I'm not NJ, but how about posting H x W x L + Voltage + Farads,
                                I might have yours in the ~100 I've saved.

                                John A.
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 18, 2007
                                  Me too...I have a box or two on hand.
                                  bd

                                  >> Does anyoen know of a place in central NJ with a good stock of
                                  >> electrolytic capacitors?
                                  >
                                  > I'm not NJ, but how about posting H x W x L + Voltage + Farads,
                                  > I might have yours in the ~100 I've saved.
                                  >
                                  > John A.
                                  >

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  -END-
                                • Jeffrey Frady
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 18, 2007
                                    I recommend Allied.  They are great, they have nearly everything.  We use them at my work.  They send us free pretzels/pizza a few times a year.

                                    On 7/18/07, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                                    Me too...I have a box or two on hand.
                                    bd

                                    >> Does anyoen know of a place in central NJ with a good stock of
                                    >> electrolytic capacitors?
                                    >
                                    > I'm not NJ, but how about posting H x W x L + Voltage + Farads,
                                    > I might have yours in the ~100 I've saved.
                                    >
                                    > John A.
                                    >

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    -END-

                                    Moderator at http://forums.palm.com
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 18, 2007
                                      Really? That does it, I'm switching ... Digi-who?? :)

                                      >>> Allied ... they send us free pretzels/pizza a few times a year.