Toshiba T1200xe

  • Garth
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 15, 2007
      I just aquired a T1200xe. Nice bright screen. And like new cosmetics.

      Has start up trouble.

      At boot up I see the following:

      I hear the hard drive softly in the background and the c drive is on
      for about 20 seconds or so. The drive A lights comes on for a few
      seconds.
      Here is were the trouble spells out:

      ERROR ENCOUNTERED INITIALIZING HARD DRIVE Ø
      *** Error in CMOS. Bad Time Function ***
      Check system. Then press any key ......

      And when I do that:

      Place system disk in drive.
      Press any key when ready.

      Well of course I do not have a system disk. But I am sure that is not
      the whole problem. Or could it be?

      Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am sure I need 3.xx DOS boot
      disk at a minimum. If you have, please send to ewrtsa@.... Any
      other help I made need is very welcome.

      I will thank all for their time to reply
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 15, 2007

        >Well of course I do not have a system disk. But I am sure that is not
        >the whole problem. Or could it be?

        Contact me off list directly for a Toshiba boot disk from this era. If you
        send me a SASE I can send you a copy. You'll need it. Whenever you get
        clock errors for a system of this era, you should consider replacing the
        "internal" battery (not the system power battery) if there is one. You
        should be able to bypass this message and get to the hard drive, if it were
        OK. You may need to SPINRITE the hard drive. I am told that you can get a
        copy of this program from vintagecomputer.net. Find the C prompt on the
        web site and "cd" to the IBM directory.

        Bill

        >Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am sure I need 3.xx DOS boot
        >disk at a minimum. If you have, please send to ewrtsa@.... Any
        >other help I made need is very welcome.
        >
        >I will thank all for their time to reply
      • Garth Conover
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 15, 2007
          Thanks for the reply.
          I tried a boot disk for 5.0 and 6.22 well I sure you know that did not work. The internal bat? I would guess that you are talking about the 3.3v cmos battery?

          Can you send me a boot file/s as an attachment? It should be under a meg? When it says System disk is that the same as a boot disk.

          Since I have you. Is there someone in NJ I can send a Toshiba 1600 to?

          After a few months storage It will not turn on. The lights blip for a second and that is it. Prior to that it worked 100%. I miss the 1600 big time as I need a system/laptop that has a slow baud rate to program my Motorola Ham radio rigs. moto Maxtrax vhf and uhf radios choke if you send data to the radio too fast. The Moto programs are DOS based and really only work in a slow DOS based PC.

          Any assistance you may lend will be deeply appreciated.

          Garth

          >Well of course I do not have a system disk. But I am sure that is not
          >the whole problem. Or could it be?

          Contact me off list directly for a Toshiba boot disk from this era. If you
          send me a SASE I can send you a copy. You'll need it. Whenever you get
          clock errors for a system of this era, you should consider replacing the
          "internal" battery (not the system power battery) if there is one. You
          should be able to bypass this message and get to the hard drive, if it were
          OK. You may need to SPINRITE the hard drive. I am told that you can get a
          copy of this program from vintagecomputer. net. Find the C prompt on the
          web site and "cd" to the IBM directory.

          Bill

          >Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am sure I need 3.xx DOS boot
          >disk at a minimum. If you have, please send to ewrtsa@.... Any
          >other help I made need is very welcome.
          >
          >I will thank all for their time to reply

        • Ray Fantini
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 16, 2007
            having both a T1000 and T1200 but not looking at them for a while this
            is all from memory, The T1000 has a 720k FD, so a 1.4 formatted disk
            wont work. Think the T1200 may be 720k also but not 100% on that. The HD
            was probably formatted and may need to be formatted again with the
            system option turned on, also remember that on a DOS only system if
            their is no AUTOEXEC.BAT file on the system disk you will always get the
            enter time and date prompt. You can just write a AUTOEXEC.BAT file that
            has a "CLS" or "prompt $p$g" line in edlin( anyone remember that!) and
            this will get rid of the questions on the time and date. I have a system
            disk for one of those systems that has DOS 3.3, and DOS utilities on it
            and can provide a copy if needed.
            Ray Fantini