Interested in FTP access on my server?

  • Hex Star
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 13, 2007
      The complaints keep on growing about my choice of KDX as the server of the files I have. Do not worry, I most definitely listen to the comments I receive about my server and when something in particular is constantly commented on as is the case now I must act to fix the problem, it is my duty as a responsible server admin whose only wish is to give back to the vintage computing community at his own expense. As such I have looked at Mac OS X FTP servers and feel that this one is a good choice: http://www.crushftp.com. The server is actively supported and very feature rich (it even has a built in web interface so that it is a ftp server and web server all in one, perfect!). I would love to set it up so everyone who wants to can access my server via ftp however the server owner (me in this case) is required to pay a license based on how many concurrent connections the admin wishes the server to allow. I cannot afford to pay for this out of my pocket and as such would like to ask that those who would like this to happen donate money towards one of the licenses, the unlimited users license is just $100 (yes I am poor :P) and thus I believe is very much within the realm of achievability, however once donations stop coming I will purchase whatever license I can afford from the given donations. Please send your donations via PayPal to the account hexstar@..., this money will be strictly used for the purchase of a CrushFTP license only. I have over 770gb of vintage computing files nicely organized, even if you don't like KDX for whatever reason you may want to just quickly use it to take a look at what my server has to offer the community, the KDX connection details are as follows:

      Protocol: KDX (for more information including client download links go here: http://haxial.com/products/kdx/)
      Address: kdxvcfa.dyndns.ws
      Username: none needed
      Password: none needed

      Take a look at the files my server contains and I am sure you will see the worthiness of my server and its contents. If you haven't already you should also read my goal statement either via the KDX server welcome message or from the archive's website at http://vintage.tsfsc.com (webspace kindly donated by tsfsc.com, however the donated space is not sufficient for the files my server hosts). So if you donate you will be giving to the community in two ways: 1) Providing the community a more universal way to access all these files 2) Further allowing the preservation of these precious files as FTP access will not only expand the accessibility of this server but it will further encourage people to contribute files to the server by way of uploading, those uploaded files will then have a second storage location (my server) thus removing the possibility of a single point of failure which could cause the file(s) to disappear forever. On top of that contributions will help the community as a whole as it'll make this hobby even more enjoyable for those who need the contributed files. My server is up 24/7 except for times when it is necessary to install system updates so you can rest assured that this server is one which is worthy of preserving all the unique files encompassed by the vintage computing era. Donate and you'll be helping out the vintage computing community, not me. :)

      P.S. As a reminder donations should be via PayPal to my PayPal account hexstar@...

    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 14, 2007
        You mean to tell me that NOBODY makes a free FTP server for a Mac???

        Maybe you should just move your collection to a server that doesn't have
        these
        sorts of problems. Every unix machine has FTP built in. Maybe the Mac
        isn't
        the right tool for this job.

        Bob

> [...]
        > further encourage people to contribute files to the server by way of
        > uploading, those uploaded files will then have a second storage location
        > (my
        > server) thus removing the possibility of a single point of failure which
        > could cause the file(s) to disappear forever. On top of that contributions
        > will help the community as a whole as it'll make this hobby even more
        > enjoyable for those who need the contributed files. My server is up 24/7
        > except for times when it is necessary to install system updates so you can
        > rest assured that this server is one which is worthy of preserving all the
        > unique files encompassed by the vintage computing era. Donate and you'll
        > be
        > helping out the vintage computing community, not me. :)
        >
        > P.S. As a reminder donations should be via PayPal to my PayPal account

      • relayer
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 14, 2007
          freshmeat.net is a wonderful site for OSS (and free) software projects.

          Here's a full server suite (Web, FTP, scripting, etc.) that works on
          OSX (among others)

          http://freshmeat.net/projects/xampp/

          Or if you just want an FTP server, there's these candidates:

          http://osx.freshmeat.net/projects/mysecureshell/

          http://osx.freshmeat.net/projects/crossftpserver/

          http://osx.freshmeat.net/projects/anomicftpd/

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Applegate" <bob@...> wrote:

          > You mean to tell me that NOBODY makes a free FTP server for a Mac???
          >
          > Maybe you should just move your collection to a server that doesn't
          have
          > these
          > sorts of problems. Every unix machine has FTP built in. Maybe the Mac
          > isn't
          > the right tool for this job.

        • madodel
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 14, 2007
            Bob Applegate wrote:
            > You mean to tell me that NOBODY makes a free FTP server for a Mac???
            >
            > Maybe you should just move your collection to a server that doesn't have
            > these
            > sorts of problems. Every unix machine has FTP built in. Maybe the Mac
            > isn't
            > the right tool for this job.

            Mac OSX comes with an FTP server. I've used it to transfer files from my
            eCS machine to my iMac. BTW Mac OSX is BSD based.

            Mark

            --

            From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

            http://www.os2voice.org

            Investigation, 1938
          • Jeffrey Frady
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 14, 2007
              Yup, Mac OS X does come with an FTP server.  Takes about 15 seconds to get one going from the desktop.

              On 7/14/07, madodel < madodel@...> wrote:

              Bob Applegate wrote:
              > You mean to tell me that NOBODY makes a free FTP server for a Mac???
              >
              > Maybe you should just move your collection to a server that doesn't have
              > these
              > sorts of problems. Every unix machine has FTP built in. Maybe the Mac
              > isn't
              > the right tool for this job.

              Mac OSX comes with an FTP server. I've used it to transfer files from my
              eCS machine to my iMac. BTW Mac OSX is BSD based.

              Mark

              --

              From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

              http://www.os2voice.org

              Investigation, 1938

              Moderator at http://forums.palm.com
              Website: http://www.fradycomputing.com/legodude522/
            • Hex Star
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 14, 2007
                On 7/14/07, Jeffrey Frady <Legodude522@...> wrote:

                > Yup, Mac OS X does come with an FTP server. Takes about 15 seconds to get one going from the desktop.

                Hello everyone, rest assured that I am actively working on a ftp
                server solution so everyone can easily enjoy my servers content. :)