Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: TRS-80 (and in general hosting an archive)

  • madodel
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 12 6:47 PM
      Evan Koblentz wrote:

      > declare the items officially abandoned.
      >
      > One of those time vs. resources things. MARCH's current mission is to:
      > foster interactivity among regional collectors, via this forum and our
      > events; and to foster public education via the museum. Waaaaay outside of
      > our resources and scope to become lobbyists of governments or
      > corporations. (Although I'd gladly sign us as a supporter to outside
      > efforts.)

      I was told IBM looked into open sourcing OS/2 source code. Their lawyers
      estimated it would cost about $500,000 to track down and get releases from
      all the copyright holders who had been contracted to provide code for parts
      of the operating system (things like many of the included drivers, fonts,
      and other things which were not written 100% by IBM). Many of original
      entities were defunct, so tracking down most of the current copyright
      holders might have been impossible anyway. So IBM decided that it wasn't
      worth the cost. That is what I was told by an IBMer who was in a position
      to know. It had nothing to do with Microsoft which is what most people
      seem to believe. Also some companies still pay IBM to maintain a line of
      OS/2 source code just for them, so even though it is no longer publicly
      marketed, it is still bringing in revenue to IBM.

      If IBM can't afford the effort I doubt most anyone can. Unless the
      software was entirely written by one entity and had no inclusive
      copyrighted source from anyone else I don't think this is realistic.
      Perhaps some of the really old stuff from the days when software and
      manuals were written by a small company or group of developers might be
      easy to get a release from, but I would think things like the TRS and Apple
      would fall under the same problems as IBM.

      Mark

      --

      From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

      http://www.os2voice.org

      Investigation, 1938
    • Hex Star
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 13 9:26 PM
        On 7/11/07, relayer <relayer@...> wrote:

        > I saw posts about attempts to help rebuild the TRS-80 collection that
        > used to be available to people. It was suggested in this group to wait
        > till after VCF to raise the subject again. It is now post-VCF.
        >
        > I've been collecting classic computers since 1996, about the same time
        > I discovered emulation. In those many years, I've managed to gather
        > stuff together. A bit here and a bit there to allow me to take
        > advantage of the fun classic computers have to offer whether it's for
        > a real device or through emulation.
        >
        > Someone mentioned having a server to host files for a reborn TRS-80
        > archive. How can I help?
        >
        > Contact me privately if you wish, but if your replies would benefit
        > the MARCH collective, please keep them public.

        Hello, if you have stuff you'd like to upload so that the whole
        community can enjoy the content at any time my server is a great
        candidate, simply connect to my server with the following information
        then click File Browser on the left hand side, open the Uploads
        folder, use the right button menu to create a folder for your files
        and use the right click menu to upload your files into that folder.
        People will be able to access the uploaded files 24/7 even before I
        sort them, so if you want a solution that has the community in mind my
        server is the way to go :) ...here are the connection details:

        Protocol: KDX (for more information including download links go here:
        http://haxial.com/products/kdx/)
        Address: kdxvcfa.dyndns.ws
        Username: none needed
        Password: none needed
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 14 2:13 PM
          We are not (yet) are 501c3 but we are a non-profit corporation in NJ. InfoAge itself already has the 501c3 status and gets its legal services free from the Wall Township attorney. I can look into this further if necessary.

          For now may we please table this whole archiving thing?
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 17 8:11 PM
            Our group will NOT be hosting and mass file archives, especially yours.
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 17 8:54 PM
              Oops I meant "any" not "and" ...