Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: TRS-80 (and in general hosting an archive)

    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 12 11:29 AM
      Yes, we know. Already been discussed.

      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 12 11:30 AM
        I believe most major publishers, acting on their own, make specific
        copyright exceptions for accredited educational institutions. We're not
        one.

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 12 11:37 AM
          >>> Is this proposed archive of TRS-80 stuff, and maybe other systems as
          well, a MARCH sanctioned venture?

          Nope. We haven't made any such decision. Which is one reason why the
          material can't be on our server -- hosting it would imply endorsement.

          >>> Personally, I'd like to see MARCH spearhead an effort to preserve
          these archives. I also don't want to see the organization get into
          trouble.

          I agree with both of those statements.

          >>> Maybe this topic could be a catalyst for MARCH to possibly start a
          lobbying effort in Washington ... I'm sure it would be easy to prove
          that the majority of books and software has long since been abandoned.

          I like you, but ... are you serious!?!?

          >>> a lesser effort to contact the publishers of the media to ask them to
          declare the items officially abandoned.

          One of those time vs. resources things. MARCH's current mission is to:
          foster interactivity among regional collectors, via this forum and our
          events; and to foster public education via the museum. Waaaaay outside of
          our resources and scope to become lobbyists of governments or
          corporations. (Although I'd gladly sign us as a supporter to outside
          efforts.)
        • madodel
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 12 6:47 PM
            Evan Koblentz wrote:

            > declare the items officially abandoned.
            >
            > One of those time vs. resources things. MARCH's current mission is to:
            > foster interactivity among regional collectors, via this forum and our
            > events; and to foster public education via the museum. Waaaaay outside of
            > our resources and scope to become lobbyists of governments or
            > corporations. (Although I'd gladly sign us as a supporter to outside
            > efforts.)

            I was told IBM looked into open sourcing OS/2 source code. Their lawyers
            estimated it would cost about $500,000 to track down and get releases from
            all the copyright holders who had been contracted to provide code for parts
            of the operating system (things like many of the included drivers, fonts,
            and other things which were not written 100% by IBM). Many of original
            entities were defunct, so tracking down most of the current copyright
            holders might have been impossible anyway. So IBM decided that it wasn't
            worth the cost. That is what I was told by an IBMer who was in a position
            to know. It had nothing to do with Microsoft which is what most people
            seem to believe. Also some companies still pay IBM to maintain a line of
            OS/2 source code just for them, so even though it is no longer publicly
            marketed, it is still bringing in revenue to IBM.

            If IBM can't afford the effort I doubt most anyone can. Unless the
            software was entirely written by one entity and had no inclusive
            copyrighted source from anyone else I don't think this is realistic.
            Perhaps some of the really old stuff from the days when software and
            manuals were written by a small company or group of developers might be
            easy to get a release from, but I would think things like the TRS and Apple
            would fall under the same problems as IBM.

            Mark

            --

            From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

            http://www.os2voice.org

            Investigation, 1938
          • Hex Star
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 13 9:26 PM
              On 7/11/07, relayer <relayer@...> wrote:

              > I saw posts about attempts to help rebuild the TRS-80 collection that
              > used to be available to people. It was suggested in this group to wait
              > till after VCF to raise the subject again. It is now post-VCF.
              >
              > I've been collecting classic computers since 1996, about the same time
              > I discovered emulation. In those many years, I've managed to gather
              > stuff together. A bit here and a bit there to allow me to take
              > advantage of the fun classic computers have to offer whether it's for
              > a real device or through emulation.
              >
              > Someone mentioned having a server to host files for a reborn TRS-80
              > archive. How can I help?
              >
              > Contact me privately if you wish, but if your replies would benefit
              > the MARCH collective, please keep them public.

              Hello, if you have stuff you'd like to upload so that the whole
              community can enjoy the content at any time my server is a great
              candidate, simply connect to my server with the following information
              then click File Browser on the left hand side, open the Uploads
              folder, use the right button menu to create a folder for your files
              and use the right click menu to upload your files into that folder.
              People will be able to access the uploaded files 24/7 even before I
              sort them, so if you want a solution that has the community in mind my
              server is the way to go :) ...here are the connection details:

              Protocol: KDX (for more information including download links go here:
              http://haxial.com/products/kdx/)
              Address: kdxvcfa.dyndns.ws
              Username: none needed
              Password: none needed
            • Evan
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 14 2:13 PM
                We are not (yet) are 501c3 but we are a non-profit corporation in NJ. InfoAge itself already has the 501c3 status and gets its legal services free from the Wall Township attorney. I can look into this further if necessary.

                For now may we please table this whole archiving thing?
              • Evan
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 17 8:11 PM
                  Our group will NOT be hosting and mass file archives, especially yours.
                • Evan
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 17 8:54 PM
                    Oops I meant "any" not "and" ...