Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: TRS-80 (and in general hosting an archive)

  • Hex Star
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 12, 2007
      Hello, I already have copies of Ira's archive and its contents as well as many other vintage computing files on my server, access details follow below...

      Protocol: KDX (for more information including download links go to http://haxial.com/products/kdx/)
      Address: kdxvcfa.dyndns.ws
      Username: none needed
      Password: none needed

      Just click File Browser on the left hand side once connected and enjoy! :) ( P.S. You can always find what you want if you have something specific in mind by searching the files, to do this first open the File Browser and then press ctrl+s for PCs or cmd+s on macs)
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 12, 2007
        Yes, we know. Already been discussed.

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 12, 2007
          I believe most major publishers, acting on their own, make specific
          copyright exceptions for accredited educational institutions. We're not
          one.

          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 12, 2007
            >>> Is this proposed archive of TRS-80 stuff, and maybe other systems as
            well, a MARCH sanctioned venture?

            Nope. We haven't made any such decision. Which is one reason why the
            material can't be on our server -- hosting it would imply endorsement.

            >>> Personally, I'd like to see MARCH spearhead an effort to preserve
            these archives. I also don't want to see the organization get into
            trouble.

            I agree with both of those statements.

            >>> Maybe this topic could be a catalyst for MARCH to possibly start a
            lobbying effort in Washington ... I'm sure it would be easy to prove
            that the majority of books and software has long since been abandoned.

            I like you, but ... are you serious!?!?

            >>> a lesser effort to contact the publishers of the media to ask them to
            declare the items officially abandoned.

            One of those time vs. resources things. MARCH's current mission is to:
            foster interactivity among regional collectors, via this forum and our
            events; and to foster public education via the museum. Waaaaay outside of
            our resources and scope to become lobbyists of governments or
            corporations. (Although I'd gladly sign us as a supporter to outside
            efforts.)
          • madodel
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 12, 2007
              Evan Koblentz wrote:

              > declare the items officially abandoned.
              >
              > One of those time vs. resources things. MARCH's current mission is to:
              > foster interactivity among regional collectors, via this forum and our
              > events; and to foster public education via the museum. Waaaaay outside of
              > our resources and scope to become lobbyists of governments or
              > corporations. (Although I'd gladly sign us as a supporter to outside
              > efforts.)

              I was told IBM looked into open sourcing OS/2 source code. Their lawyers
              estimated it would cost about $500,000 to track down and get releases from
              all the copyright holders who had been contracted to provide code for parts
              of the operating system (things like many of the included drivers, fonts,
              and other things which were not written 100% by IBM). Many of original
              entities were defunct, so tracking down most of the current copyright
              holders might have been impossible anyway. So IBM decided that it wasn't
              worth the cost. That is what I was told by an IBMer who was in a position
              to know. It had nothing to do with Microsoft which is what most people
              seem to believe. Also some companies still pay IBM to maintain a line of
              OS/2 source code just for them, so even though it is no longer publicly
              marketed, it is still bringing in revenue to IBM.

              If IBM can't afford the effort I doubt most anyone can. Unless the
              software was entirely written by one entity and had no inclusive
              copyrighted source from anyone else I don't think this is realistic.
              Perhaps some of the really old stuff from the days when software and
              manuals were written by a small company or group of developers might be
              easy to get a release from, but I would think things like the TRS and Apple
              would fall under the same problems as IBM.

              Mark

              --

              From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

              http://www.os2voice.org

              Investigation, 1938
            • Hex Star
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 13, 2007
                On 7/11/07, relayer <relayer@...> wrote:

                > I saw posts about attempts to help rebuild the TRS-80 collection that
                > used to be available to people. It was suggested in this group to wait
                > till after VCF to raise the subject again. It is now post-VCF.
                >
                > I've been collecting classic computers since 1996, about the same time
                > I discovered emulation. In those many years, I've managed to gather
                > stuff together. A bit here and a bit there to allow me to take
                > advantage of the fun classic computers have to offer whether it's for
                > a real device or through emulation.
                >
                > Someone mentioned having a server to host files for a reborn TRS-80
                > archive. How can I help?
                >
                > Contact me privately if you wish, but if your replies would benefit
                > the MARCH collective, please keep them public.

                Hello, if you have stuff you'd like to upload so that the whole
                community can enjoy the content at any time my server is a great
                candidate, simply connect to my server with the following information
                then click File Browser on the left hand side, open the Uploads
                folder, use the right button menu to create a folder for your files
                and use the right click menu to upload your files into that folder.
                People will be able to access the uploaded files 24/7 even before I
                sort them, so if you want a solution that has the community in mind my
                server is the way to go :) ...here are the connection details:

                Protocol: KDX (for more information including download links go here:
                http://haxial.com/products/kdx/)
                Address: kdxvcfa.dyndns.ws
                Username: none needed
                Password: none needed
              • Evan
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 14, 2007
                  We are not (yet) are 501c3 but we are a non-profit corporation in NJ. InfoAge itself already has the 501c3 status and gets its legal services free from the Wall Township attorney. I can look into this further if necessary.

                  For now may we please table this whole archiving thing?
                • Evan
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 17, 2007
                    Our group will NOT be hosting and mass file archives, especially yours.
                  • Evan
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 17, 2007
                      Oops I meant "any" not "and" ...