Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: TRS-80 (and in general hosting an archive)

    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 12, 2007
      At the University of Delaware, the "Educational Use" rule seems to cover
      all materials that are copied and sold as binded "books" for students.
      Why would a web site that provides educational/research be any different?

      what is the difference between code and copies?

      Bill
    • Hex Star
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 12, 2007
        Hello, I already have copies of Ira's archive and its contents as well as many other vintage computing files on my server, access details follow below...

        Protocol: KDX (for more information including download links go to http://haxial.com/products/kdx/)
        Address: kdxvcfa.dyndns.ws
        Username: none needed
        Password: none needed

        Just click File Browser on the left hand side once connected and enjoy! :) ( P.S. You can always find what you want if you have something specific in mind by searching the files, to do this first open the File Browser and then press ctrl+s for PCs or cmd+s on macs)
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 12, 2007
          Yes, we know. Already been discussed.

          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 12, 2007
            I believe most major publishers, acting on their own, make specific
            copyright exceptions for accredited educational institutions. We're not
            one.

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 12, 2007
              >>> Is this proposed archive of TRS-80 stuff, and maybe other systems as
              well, a MARCH sanctioned venture?

              Nope. We haven't made any such decision. Which is one reason why the
              material can't be on our server -- hosting it would imply endorsement.

              >>> Personally, I'd like to see MARCH spearhead an effort to preserve
              these archives. I also don't want to see the organization get into
              trouble.

              I agree with both of those statements.

              >>> Maybe this topic could be a catalyst for MARCH to possibly start a
              lobbying effort in Washington ... I'm sure it would be easy to prove
              that the majority of books and software has long since been abandoned.

              I like you, but ... are you serious!?!?

              >>> a lesser effort to contact the publishers of the media to ask them to
              declare the items officially abandoned.

              One of those time vs. resources things. MARCH's current mission is to:
              foster interactivity among regional collectors, via this forum and our
              events; and to foster public education via the museum. Waaaaay outside of
              our resources and scope to become lobbyists of governments or
              corporations. (Although I'd gladly sign us as a supporter to outside
              efforts.)
            • madodel
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 12, 2007
                Evan Koblentz wrote:

                > declare the items officially abandoned.
                >
                > One of those time vs. resources things. MARCH's current mission is to:
                > foster interactivity among regional collectors, via this forum and our
                > events; and to foster public education via the museum. Waaaaay outside of
                > our resources and scope to become lobbyists of governments or
                > corporations. (Although I'd gladly sign us as a supporter to outside
                > efforts.)

                I was told IBM looked into open sourcing OS/2 source code. Their lawyers
                estimated it would cost about $500,000 to track down and get releases from
                all the copyright holders who had been contracted to provide code for parts
                of the operating system (things like many of the included drivers, fonts,
                and other things which were not written 100% by IBM). Many of original
                entities were defunct, so tracking down most of the current copyright
                holders might have been impossible anyway. So IBM decided that it wasn't
                worth the cost. That is what I was told by an IBMer who was in a position
                to know. It had nothing to do with Microsoft which is what most people
                seem to believe. Also some companies still pay IBM to maintain a line of
                OS/2 source code just for them, so even though it is no longer publicly
                marketed, it is still bringing in revenue to IBM.

                If IBM can't afford the effort I doubt most anyone can. Unless the
                software was entirely written by one entity and had no inclusive
                copyrighted source from anyone else I don't think this is realistic.
                Perhaps some of the really old stuff from the days when software and
                manuals were written by a small company or group of developers might be
                easy to get a release from, but I would think things like the TRS and Apple
                would fall under the same problems as IBM.

                Mark

                --

                From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

                http://www.os2voice.org

                Investigation, 1938
              • Hex Star
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 13, 2007
                  On 7/11/07, relayer <relayer@...> wrote:

                  > I saw posts about attempts to help rebuild the TRS-80 collection that
                  > used to be available to people. It was suggested in this group to wait
                  > till after VCF to raise the subject again. It is now post-VCF.
                  >
                  > I've been collecting classic computers since 1996, about the same time
                  > I discovered emulation. In those many years, I've managed to gather
                  > stuff together. A bit here and a bit there to allow me to take
                  > advantage of the fun classic computers have to offer whether it's for
                  > a real device or through emulation.
                  >
                  > Someone mentioned having a server to host files for a reborn TRS-80
                  > archive. How can I help?
                  >
                  > Contact me privately if you wish, but if your replies would benefit
                  > the MARCH collective, please keep them public.

                  Hello, if you have stuff you'd like to upload so that the whole
                  community can enjoy the content at any time my server is a great
                  candidate, simply connect to my server with the following information
                  then click File Browser on the left hand side, open the Uploads
                  folder, use the right button menu to create a folder for your files
                  and use the right click menu to upload your files into that folder.
                  People will be able to access the uploaded files 24/7 even before I
                  sort them, so if you want a solution that has the community in mind my
                  server is the way to go :) ...here are the connection details:

                  Protocol: KDX (for more information including download links go here:
                  http://haxial.com/products/kdx/)
                  Address: kdxvcfa.dyndns.ws
                  Username: none needed
                  Password: none needed
                • Evan
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 14, 2007
                    We are not (yet) are 501c3 but we are a non-profit corporation in NJ. InfoAge itself already has the 501c3 status and gets its legal services free from the Wall Township attorney. I can look into this further if necessary.

                    For now may we please table this whole archiving thing?
                  • Evan
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 17, 2007
                      Our group will NOT be hosting and mass file archives, especially yours.
                    • Evan
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 17, 2007
                        Oops I meant "any" not "and" ...