Re: [midatlanticretro] TRS-80

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 11 4:51 AM
      Do we want to put out a list of who's got what capabilities at their disposal for the storage of archives, web pages, etc?
      I see a fair number of people hosting things against their ISP's TOS which means those sites could disappear at any
      time with little/no warning, and that worries me.

      Here's what I've got available... a business FiOS account.  20/5 Mb/sec.  Right now I've got three Unix servers on-line,
      two of which run web servers.  All machines have static IPs and are fully compliant with my TOS contract.  Some
      machines have hundreds of GBs available, one is a lot smaller.  These are good for storage and basic web servers.
      I can (and do) support virtual domains and mailing lists.  Note that this is now a hobby for me (I used to own/manage
      and ISP), so do not expect business class services.   If you want some special software installed, you'll have to do
      it yourself or go without.  Daily and weekly backups are done.

      I'm sure many others on this list have other capabilities that might be useful to store old computer history as well.

      Bob

      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 11 5:24 AM
        At 07:51 AM 7/11/2007 -0400, you wrote:
[...]

        Hi - I own the ISP that our web site is hosted, and it's a commercial ISP in Wilmington, degnanco.net.  We host accounts for Dun and Bradstreet, Campbells Soup, Spherion Corp and many others.  We're not a utility company  volume hoster but we do have plenty of storage and bandwidth.  If anyone wants to make available files to the hosting account, provided that the files are legal, let me know directly.  The MARCH BOD will  perform content/legal approval but if appropriate can send me a DVD or CD and I can have one of our network techs copy the files to the server.  We have and will continue to host the midatlanticretro.org hosting for free.  Don't forget that we already have an inventory system online midatlanticretro.org/inventory/ for use by all.

        I have the entire TRS 80 archive 4 DVD set, I also have the complete Chuck Peddle speech.  This thread reminds me to get moving on these projects.

        Bill Degnan
        degnanco.net
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 11 5:56 AM

          I've been archiving some really great articles into pdf, more recently from the 1984 10th anniv issue of Creative Computing. I think it would be nice to let others have a chance to read this too. There's 4 articles written by 'The First Decade of Personal Computing' by David Ahl, The Altair Story by Forrest Mims, 'The Early Days of Personal Computing' by Stephen Gray and 'History of Creative Computing' by John Anderson. I scanned these so the type is clearly visible when printed so they take up about 7MB each, some more. I just don't have much room left on my homepage to host these. I think these would be a great addition to the March website.

          =Dan
          [ vintage electrons are just as good    ]
          [ http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/        ]

          B. Degnan wrote:

[...]

          No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.476 / Virus Database: 269.10.2/894 - Release Date: 7/10/2007 5:44 PM
        • Bob Applegate
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 11 7:15 AM
            Well, it's unlikely anyone will have a better situation than Bill's!  If we can load our stuff onto his machines (or the club provides one that meets his requirements?) without impacting his network and workload, this sounds like an ideal situation.  Please remember that this is an amazing situation, so we have to respect Bill's need to get other stuff done that involves revenue.

            Bill, I was General Manager of an ISP from 1994 until I sold it in 2000 and went back to the easy life (working for someone else).  I still have rights to co-locate a server at their facility, but remote management isn't much fun.

            Bob

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 11 7:37 AM

              > Bill, I was General Manager of an ISP from 1994 until I sold it in 2000
              > and went back to the easy life (working for someone else). I still have
              > rights to co-locate a server at their facility, but remote management
              > isn't much fun.

              Our office is in downtown Wilmington, and our datacenter is a few blocks
              away in the basement of a private phone company. We used to house the
              whole thing in our office, but air conditioning and power requirements
              became too great.

              If anyone wants to host files, mail them to me on DVD or CD:

              Degnan CO
              c/o M.A.R.C.H.
              PO Box 2366
              Wilmington, DE 19899

              I will review them and post those that are relevant, and then announce to
              the group.

              If need be we can install a 250 GB hard drive for hosting just vintage
              computer files, (and perform a daily backup), so that they're kept
              separated from the "regular" network and give us plenty of space. That
              said, keep the PDF sizes reasonable.

              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 11 8:12 AM
                That said, keep the PDF sizes reasonable.

                > Bill

                Legal, too, please...
              • relayer
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 12 4:28 AM
                  That brings up a good point. And a similarly good argument.

                  There has long since been, and will continue to be, the concept of
                  abandonware or orphaned status of the various media for these aging
                  systems.

                  Is this proposed archive of TRS-80 stuff, and maybe other systems as
                  well, a MARCH sanctioned venture? If so, I understand the more
                  protective stance of the legality of the archive. There will still be
                  the enthusiasts that will never see the stuff disappear, regardless of
                  legality. As good as the archive was, I'm sure some of the stuff in
                  Ira's archive fell in gray areas, legally.

                  Personally, I'd like to see MARCH spearhead an effort to preserve
                  these archives. I also don't want to see the organization get into
                  trouble.

                  Maybe this topic could be a catalyst for MARCH to possibly start a
                  lobbying effort in Washington to lobby for the legality of archiving
                  this historical media. I'm sure it would be easy to prove that the
                  majority of books and software has long since been abandoned.

                  Even if MARCH cannot lobby Washington, maybe a lesser effort to
                  contact the publishers of the media to ask them to declare the items
                  officially abandoned.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 12 6:53 AM
                    > That brings up a good point. And a similarly good argument.
                    >
                    > There has long since been, and will continue to be, the concept of
                    > abandonware or orphaned status of the various media for these aging
                    > systems.
                    >
                    > Is this proposed archive of TRS-80 stuff, and maybe other systems as
                    > well, a MARCH sanctioned venture? If so, I understand the more
                    > protective stance of the legality of the archive. There will still be
                    > the enthusiasts that will never see the stuff disappear, regardless of
                    > legality. As good as the archive was, I'm sure some of the stuff in
                    > Ira's archive fell in gray areas, legally.

                    There are two topics that vintage computer groups/lists cannot seem to
                    handle:
                    1. What is the definition of vintage computers?
                    2. Archiving old software - how to make archives available to the public

                    Go with your gut instincts and take action on your own. If you have a
                    good plan, people will follow you.

                    Bill
                  • Ray Sills
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 12 7:39 AM
                      That's always an issue with old software. One way the software might
                      be able to be legally
                      archived is simply to get permission from the copyright holders. I
                      had a case one with a
                      software author who decided that his business was going nowhere and
                      that there was no
                      further need to keep his work protected, and he even -released- the
                      software into the
                      public domain.

                      If current copyright holders are dubious about that, all that would
                      be needed to do is to
                      secure a license to archive the material. Perhaps if the copyright
                      holder were assured that
                      the material would simply be archived, the original copyright notice
                      kept in place,and
                      the software would not be modified, sold, and not incorporated into
                      any subsequent work, etc.,
                      then a license for archival use could be obtained. And therefore,
                      the archive would be legal.

                      73 de Ray

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 12 11:05 AM
                        At the University of Delaware, the "Educational Use" rule seems to cover
                        all materials that are copied and sold as binded "books" for students.
                        Why would a web site that provides educational/research be any different?

                        what is the difference between code and copies?

                        Bill
                      • Hex Star
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 12 11:24 AM
                          Hello, I already have copies of Ira's archive and its contents as well as many other vintage computing files on my server, access details follow below...

                          Protocol: KDX (for more information including download links go to http://haxial.com/products/kdx/)
                          Address: kdxvcfa.dyndns.ws
                          Username: none needed
                          Password: none needed

                          Just click File Browser on the left hand side once connected and enjoy! :) ( P.S. You can always find what you want if you have something specific in mind by searching the files, to do this first open the File Browser and then press ctrl+s for PCs or cmd+s on macs)
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 12 11:29 AM
                            Yes, we know. Already been discussed.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 12 11:30 AM
                              I believe most major publishers, acting on their own, make specific
                              copyright exceptions for accredited educational institutions. We're not
                              one.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 12 11:37 AM
                                >>> Is this proposed archive of TRS-80 stuff, and maybe other systems as
                                well, a MARCH sanctioned venture?

                                Nope. We haven't made any such decision. Which is one reason why the
                                material can't be on our server -- hosting it would imply endorsement.

                                >>> Personally, I'd like to see MARCH spearhead an effort to preserve
                                these archives. I also don't want to see the organization get into
                                trouble.

                                I agree with both of those statements.

                                >>> Maybe this topic could be a catalyst for MARCH to possibly start a
                                lobbying effort in Washington ... I'm sure it would be easy to prove
                                that the majority of books and software has long since been abandoned.

                                I like you, but ... are you serious!?!?

                                >>> a lesser effort to contact the publishers of the media to ask them to
                                declare the items officially abandoned.

                                One of those time vs. resources things. MARCH's current mission is to:
                                foster interactivity among regional collectors, via this forum and our
                                events; and to foster public education via the museum. Waaaaay outside of
                                our resources and scope to become lobbyists of governments or
                                corporations. (Although I'd gladly sign us as a supporter to outside
                                efforts.)
                              • madodel
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 12 6:47 PM
                                  Evan Koblentz wrote:

                                  > declare the items officially abandoned.
                                  >
                                  > One of those time vs. resources things. MARCH's current mission is to:
                                  > foster interactivity among regional collectors, via this forum and our
                                  > events; and to foster public education via the museum. Waaaaay outside of
                                  > our resources and scope to become lobbyists of governments or
                                  > corporations. (Although I'd gladly sign us as a supporter to outside
                                  > efforts.)

                                  I was told IBM looked into open sourcing OS/2 source code. Their lawyers
                                  estimated it would cost about $500,000 to track down and get releases from
                                  all the copyright holders who had been contracted to provide code for parts
                                  of the operating system (things like many of the included drivers, fonts,
                                  and other things which were not written 100% by IBM). Many of original
                                  entities were defunct, so tracking down most of the current copyright
                                  holders might have been impossible anyway. So IBM decided that it wasn't
                                  worth the cost. That is what I was told by an IBMer who was in a position
                                  to know. It had nothing to do with Microsoft which is what most people
                                  seem to believe. Also some companies still pay IBM to maintain a line of
                                  OS/2 source code just for them, so even though it is no longer publicly
                                  marketed, it is still bringing in revenue to IBM.

                                  If IBM can't afford the effort I doubt most anyone can. Unless the
                                  software was entirely written by one entity and had no inclusive
                                  copyrighted source from anyone else I don't think this is realistic.
                                  Perhaps some of the really old stuff from the days when software and
                                  manuals were written by a small company or group of developers might be
                                  easy to get a release from, but I would think things like the TRS and Apple
                                  would fall under the same problems as IBM.

                                  Mark

                                  --

                                  From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

                                  http://www.os2voice.org

                                  Investigation, 1938
                                • Hex Star
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 13 9:26 PM
                                    On 7/11/07, relayer <relayer@...> wrote:

                                    > I saw posts about attempts to help rebuild the TRS-80 collection that
                                    > used to be available to people. It was suggested in this group to wait
                                    > till after VCF to raise the subject again. It is now post-VCF.
                                    >
                                    > I've been collecting classic computers since 1996, about the same time
                                    > I discovered emulation. In those many years, I've managed to gather
                                    > stuff together. A bit here and a bit there to allow me to take
                                    > advantage of the fun classic computers have to offer whether it's for
                                    > a real device or through emulation.
                                    >
                                    > Someone mentioned having a server to host files for a reborn TRS-80
                                    > archive. How can I help?
                                    >
                                    > Contact me privately if you wish, but if your replies would benefit
                                    > the MARCH collective, please keep them public.

                                    Hello, if you have stuff you'd like to upload so that the whole
                                    community can enjoy the content at any time my server is a great
                                    candidate, simply connect to my server with the following information
                                    then click File Browser on the left hand side, open the Uploads
                                    folder, use the right button menu to create a folder for your files
                                    and use the right click menu to upload your files into that folder.
                                    People will be able to access the uploaded files 24/7 even before I
                                    sort them, so if you want a solution that has the community in mind my
                                    server is the way to go :) ...here are the connection details:

                                    Protocol: KDX (for more information including download links go here:
                                    http://haxial.com/products/kdx/)
                                    Address: kdxvcfa.dyndns.ws
                                    Username: none needed
                                    Password: none needed
                                  • Evan
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 14 2:13 PM
                                      We are not (yet) are 501c3 but we are a non-profit corporation in NJ. InfoAge itself already has the 501c3 status and gets its legal services free from the Wall Township attorney. I can look into this further if necessary.

                                      For now may we please table this whole archiving thing?
                                    • Evan
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 17 8:11 PM
                                        Our group will NOT be hosting and mass file archives, especially yours.
                                      • Evan
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 17 8:54 PM
                                          Oops I meant "any" not "and" ...