Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: USA vintage electronics museums guide anywhere?

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 9, 2007
      You can add the University of Delaware Computer Museum. Newark, Delaware.
      This location will expand over the next year. So far there are two
      exhibits. There's no web site yet.
      Bill

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 9, 2007
        Long since defunct.

        This one is kind of weird ... nobody from that organization has ever
        returned my phone calls, and I've never met anyone who visited.

        Not a museum. Purely a research institute.

        Not a computer museum, just a museum with a good computer section.

        Same as above.

        Recent cctalk discussion indicates = bad news. Something about the guy
        who did it left, so what remains isn't much, IIRC.

        Closed, and moved its collections to a local U. library.

        I have some other updates, will have to gather them and post later.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 9, 2007
          Evan, Dan, Bill and all,

          Messages containing all the inks get trapped by Yahoo's spam filter, which explains why they take some time to appear.

          Many of the links that you would expect to work don't and vice-versa - like the first one in the list.

          Jim

          Long since defunct.

          But the link still works!

          This one is kind of weird ... nobody from that organization has ever
          returned my phone calls, and I've never met anyone who visited.

          Not a museum. Purely a research institute.

          Not a computer museum, just a museum with a good computer section.

          Same as above.

          Recent cctalk discussion indicates = bad news. Something about the guy
          who did it left, so what remains isn't much, IIRC.

          Closed, and moved its collections to a local U. library.

          I have some other updates, will have to gather them and post later.

            Chippewa Falls happens to be Seymour Cray's  hometown(while at Cray, Inc)
            This is under the 'exhibits' section, it's not just any kind of exhibit - but no photos online :(

            Come see the largest museum collection of supercomputers. This collection is representative of years of hard work at Cray Research, Inc.- work that literally changed the world! This exhibit offers not only the supercomputer collection but also video's and information about Seymour Cray. Seymour Cray was born in Chippewa Falls, and was known worldwide as the Father of Supercomputers. He started Cray Research Company right here in Chippewa Falls!