Re: [midatlanticretro] Another little known anniversary(30th) - The Chess Computer, Chess Challenger 1 by Fidelity

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 8, 2007
      FYI,

      The link below has the webpage with pics from the Chess Computer Museum
      in Miami, Fla.
      They show the equipment used in the development of this machine from Ron
      Nelson at Fidelity .
      Including the prototype, and the production model, and even the Altair
      8080 is in there too.
      http://www.ismenio.com/fidelity.html

      =Dan

      [ http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 8, 2007
        At 10:56 AM 7/8/2007 -0400, you wrote:
        >FYI,
        >
        >The link below has the webpage with pics from the Chess Computer Museum
        >in Miami, Fla.
        >They show the equipment used in the development of this machine from Ron
        >Nelson at Fidelity .
        >Including the prototype, and the production model, and even the Altair
        >8080 is in there too.
        >http://www.ismenio.com/fidelity.html

        Nice museum. I rarely see these.

        Speaking of like museums, where does one find an up-to-date listing of
        vintage computer/electronics museums?

        Bill
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 8, 2007
          Here's what I have in my bookmarks, for the US
          As far as I seen, these are brick 'n mortar places.

          [AZ] Southwest Museum of Engineering, Communications and Computation
          <http://www.smecc.org/>
          [CA] Computer History Association of California <http://www.chac.org>
          [CA] Computer History Museum, Mountain View, CA
          <http://www.computerhistory.org>
          [CA] San Diego Computer Museum <http://www.computer-museum.org/>
          [CA] DigiBarn Computer Museum <http://www.digibarn.com/>
          [CA] Reale-Rydell Computer Museum <http://www.minotaurz.com/compmuse>
          [CA] The Intel Museum <http://www.intel.com/intel/intelis/museum/>
          [CA] Tech Museum of Innovation <http://www.thetech.org/>
          [CA] UNIV of California at Davis Computer Science Museum
          <http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/%7Ecsclub/museum/>
          [DC] Smithsonian Computer History Collection
          <http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/comphist/>
          [KS] The Topeka Computing Museum <http://www.gateman.com/museum/>
          [MD] National Cryptologic Museum <http://www.nsa.gov/museum/>
          [MO] American Computer Museum <http://www.compustory.com/index.html>
          [MN] Charles Babbage Institute Center for the History of Computing
          <http://www.cbi.umn.edu/>
          [NJ] InfoAge <http://www.infoage.org/home.html> --hey that's you 8-)
          [TX] Goodwill Computerworks Museum
          <https://www.austincomputerworks.org/museum/>
          [TX] The Museum @ CSE <http://www.cse.uta.edu/TheMuseum@CSE/index.asp>
          [VA] UVA Computer Science: Computer Museum
          <http://www.cs.virginia.edu/brochure/museum.html>
          [WI] Chippewa Falls Museum of Industry and Technology
          <http://www.cfmit.org/>
          [WI] The Jefferson Computer Museum <http://www.threedee.com/jcm/>

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 9, 2007
            You can add the University of Delaware Computer Museum. Newark, Delaware.
            This location will expand over the next year. So far there are two
            exhibits. There's no web site yet.
            Bill

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 9, 2007
              Long since defunct.

              This one is kind of weird ... nobody from that organization has ever
              returned my phone calls, and I've never met anyone who visited.

              Not a museum. Purely a research institute.

              Not a computer museum, just a museum with a good computer section.

              Same as above.

              Recent cctalk discussion indicates = bad news. Something about the guy
              who did it left, so what remains isn't much, IIRC.

              Closed, and moved its collections to a local U. library.

              I have some other updates, will have to gather them and post later.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 9, 2007
                Evan, Dan, Bill and all,

                Messages containing all the inks get trapped by Yahoo's spam filter, which explains why they take some time to appear.

                Many of the links that you would expect to work don't and vice-versa - like the first one in the list.

                Jim

                Long since defunct.

                But the link still works!

                This one is kind of weird ... nobody from that organization has ever
                returned my phone calls, and I've never met anyone who visited.

                Not a museum. Purely a research institute.

                Not a computer museum, just a museum with a good computer section.

                Same as above.

                Recent cctalk discussion indicates = bad news. Something about the guy
                who did it left, so what remains isn't much, IIRC.

                Closed, and moved its collections to a local U. library.

                I have some other updates, will have to gather them and post later.

                  Chippewa Falls happens to be Seymour Cray's  hometown(while at Cray, Inc)
                  This is under the 'exhibits' section, it's not just any kind of exhibit - but no photos online :(

                  Come see the largest museum collection of supercomputers. This collection is representative of years of hard work at Cray Research, Inc.- work that literally changed the world! This exhibit offers not only the supercomputer collection but also video's and information about Seymour Cray. Seymour Cray was born in Chippewa Falls, and was known worldwide as the Father of Supercomputers. He started Cray Research Company right here in Chippewa Falls!