Re: M4775LL/a Stylewriter EtherTalk Adapter

  • rkushnier
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 8, 2007
      Hi Guys,

      Thanks for all the good info. It will take a little time to wade
      through it all.

      Most Mac printers used a serial interface. These plugged into
      either the printer port or the serial modem port. AppleTalk was the
      protocol Macs communicated with over a network. Later, when TCP/IP
      became popular, Apple came out with MacTCP. Future versions of the OS
      incorporated TCP/IP in a more traditional approach.

      Anyway, I thought it would be neat to have an apple printer tied to
      my router, with its own independent IP address. The Stylewriter
      EtherTalk Adapter has an Ethernet connector on one end, and a serial
      connector on the other. It would be great, if I can figure out how
      to use it!

      I have an Apple Powerbook 1400 laptop (OS 8.6) and a PowerMac 4400
      (OS 9.1). The printer works fine attached at the serial ports.

      I'll report back with any progress. If anyone is interested, I can
      shoot some JPG's and post them in this forum.

      Ron
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 8, 2007

        Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
        > I don't remember seeing manuals that go back that far, but the
        legacy
        > systems software is here:
        >
        > http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html

        This Apple Tech note: "Apple Legacy Product Manuals"

        has links to many legacy documents. Among the oldest are PDF's on the
        Apple IIe and IIgs.

        To search Apple's Web site for "legacy" information at, for instance,

        http://search.info.apple.com/

        which you can reach by using "advanced search" by name, you MUST check
        the box marked "Archive [] Include archive content in search". This
        used to say "content that was created prior to 1997", as is mentioned
        and shown in the "help" page for advanced search.

        I have a good number of vintage Macintosh Web links on this Web page:

        http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/m_point.html

        with specific links to Apple in the section: "Pointers to Apple.com"
        near the top of that page. My Macintosh home page is

        http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/mac.html

        which links to an FAQ, my sales pages, various informational pages,
        and my Web links page.

        Herb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA