RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: M4775LL/a Stylewriter EtherTalk Adapter

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7, 2007
      On Sat, 7 Jul 2007, Evan Koblentz wrote:

      > to the Apple II!
      >
      > Really? Where? I couldn't find it at
      > http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/

      I don't remember seeing manuals that go back that far, but the legacy
      systems software is here:

      http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • rkushnier
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 8, 2007
        Hi Guys,

        Thanks for all the good info. It will take a little time to wade
        through it all.

        Most Mac printers used a serial interface. These plugged into
        either the printer port or the serial modem port. AppleTalk was the
        protocol Macs communicated with over a network. Later, when TCP/IP
        became popular, Apple came out with MacTCP. Future versions of the OS
        incorporated TCP/IP in a more traditional approach.

        Anyway, I thought it would be neat to have an apple printer tied to
        my router, with its own independent IP address. The Stylewriter
        EtherTalk Adapter has an Ethernet connector on one end, and a serial
        connector on the other. It would be great, if I can figure out how
        to use it!

        I have an Apple Powerbook 1400 laptop (OS 8.6) and a PowerMac 4400
        (OS 9.1). The printer works fine attached at the serial ports.

        I'll report back with any progress. If anyone is interested, I can
        shoot some JPG's and post them in this forum.

        Ron
      • Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 8, 2007

          Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
          > I don't remember seeing manuals that go back that far, but the
          legacy
          > systems software is here:
          >
          > http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html

          This Apple Tech note: "Apple Legacy Product Manuals"

          has links to many legacy documents. Among the oldest are PDF's on the
          Apple IIe and IIgs.

          To search Apple's Web site for "legacy" information at, for instance,

          http://search.info.apple.com/

          which you can reach by using "advanced search" by name, you MUST check
          the box marked "Archive [] Include archive content in search". This
          used to say "content that was created prior to 1997", as is mentioned
          and shown in the "help" page for advanced search.

          I have a good number of vintage Macintosh Web links on this Web page:

          http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/m_point.html

          with specific links to Apple in the section: "Pointers to Apple.com"
          near the top of that page. My Macintosh home page is

          http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/mac.html

          which links to an FAQ, my sales pages, various informational pages,
          and my Web links page.

          Herb Johnson

          Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA