RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: M4775LL/a Stylewriter EtherTalk Adapter

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7 2:33 PM
      >>> Apple maintains PDF's of manuals and old software files, going back
      to the Apple II!

      Really? Where? I couldn't find it at
      http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 7 2:42 PM
        On Sat, 7 Jul 2007, Evan Koblentz wrote:

        > to the Apple II!
        >
        > Really? Where? I couldn't find it at
        > http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/

        I don't remember seeing manuals that go back that far, but the legacy
        systems software is here:

        http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • rkushnier
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 8 4:41 AM
          Hi Guys,

          Thanks for all the good info. It will take a little time to wade
          through it all.

          Most Mac printers used a serial interface. These plugged into
          either the printer port or the serial modem port. AppleTalk was the
          protocol Macs communicated with over a network. Later, when TCP/IP
          became popular, Apple came out with MacTCP. Future versions of the OS
          incorporated TCP/IP in a more traditional approach.

          Anyway, I thought it would be neat to have an apple printer tied to
          my router, with its own independent IP address. The Stylewriter
          EtherTalk Adapter has an Ethernet connector on one end, and a serial
          connector on the other. It would be great, if I can figure out how
          to use it!

          I have an Apple Powerbook 1400 laptop (OS 8.6) and a PowerMac 4400
          (OS 9.1). The printer works fine attached at the serial ports.

          I'll report back with any progress. If anyone is interested, I can
          shoot some JPG's and post them in this forum.

          Ron
        • Herb Johnson
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 8 9:26 AM

            Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
            > I don't remember seeing manuals that go back that far, but the
            legacy
            > systems software is here:
            >
            > http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html

            This Apple Tech note: "Apple Legacy Product Manuals"

            has links to many legacy documents. Among the oldest are PDF's on the
            Apple IIe and IIgs.

            To search Apple's Web site for "legacy" information at, for instance,

            http://search.info.apple.com/

            which you can reach by using "advanced search" by name, you MUST check
            the box marked "Archive [] Include archive content in search". This
            used to say "content that was created prior to 1997", as is mentioned
            and shown in the "help" page for advanced search.

            I have a good number of vintage Macintosh Web links on this Web page:

            http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/m_point.html

            with specific links to Apple in the section: "Pointers to Apple.com"
            near the top of that page. My Macintosh home page is

            http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/mac.html

            which links to an FAQ, my sales pages, various informational pages,
            and my Web links page.

            Herb Johnson

            Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA