Re: M4775LL/a Stylewriter EtherTalk Adapter

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7, 2007
      "rkushnier" <rkushnier@...> wrote:

      > I came across an old Stylewriter 2500 Printer and read it could be
      > networked with a M4775LL/a Stylewriter EtherTalk Adapter.
      >
      > I purchased this adapter on Ebay. However, I have not been able to
      > have the "chooser" recognize my Ethernet connection. I do not see any
      > indication on my router, or on the adapter, that there is Ethernet
      > activity. I do get a "Green" indication on the adapter that says it
      > is ready for use. AppleTalk is enabled. Running 8.6 OS.
      >
      > Any old MAC fans out there? Any suggestions? ANy one know where to
      > find answers for vintage apple equip?
      >
      > Ron

      I'm a Mac dealer, I sell older Mac stuff. (Has any MARCH member
      checked my Web site?) I've privately emailed a reply to R. Kushnier
      with some informative Web links. But I don't know how his System 8.6
      works with Chooser through a network - I presume a System 8 manual
      would be informative.

      I've pointed him to Apple's Web site of tech notes and manuals. Apple
      maintains PDF's of manuals and old software files, going back to the
      Apple II!

      Herb Johnson
      Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA

      Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 7, 2007
        >>> Apple maintains PDF's of manuals and old software files, going back
        to the Apple II!

        Really? Where? I couldn't find it at
        http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 7, 2007
          On Sat, 7 Jul 2007, Evan Koblentz wrote:

          > to the Apple II!
          >
          > Really? Where? I couldn't find it at
          > http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/

          I don't remember seeing manuals that go back that far, but the legacy
          systems software is here:

          http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • rkushnier
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 8, 2007
            Hi Guys,

            Thanks for all the good info. It will take a little time to wade
            through it all.

            Most Mac printers used a serial interface. These plugged into
            either the printer port or the serial modem port. AppleTalk was the
            protocol Macs communicated with over a network. Later, when TCP/IP
            became popular, Apple came out with MacTCP. Future versions of the OS
            incorporated TCP/IP in a more traditional approach.

            Anyway, I thought it would be neat to have an apple printer tied to
            my router, with its own independent IP address. The Stylewriter
            EtherTalk Adapter has an Ethernet connector on one end, and a serial
            connector on the other. It would be great, if I can figure out how
            to use it!

            I have an Apple Powerbook 1400 laptop (OS 8.6) and a PowerMac 4400
            (OS 9.1). The printer works fine attached at the serial ports.

            I'll report back with any progress. If anyone is interested, I can
            shoot some JPG's and post them in this forum.

            Ron
          • Herb Johnson
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 8, 2007

              Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
              > I don't remember seeing manuals that go back that far, but the
              legacy
              > systems software is here:
              >
              > http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html

              This Apple Tech note: "Apple Legacy Product Manuals"

              has links to many legacy documents. Among the oldest are PDF's on the
              Apple IIe and IIgs.

              To search Apple's Web site for "legacy" information at, for instance,

              http://search.info.apple.com/

              which you can reach by using "advanced search" by name, you MUST check
              the box marked "Archive [] Include archive content in search". This
              used to say "content that was created prior to 1997", as is mentioned
              and shown in the "help" page for advanced search.

              I have a good number of vintage Macintosh Web links on this Web page:

              http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/m_point.html

              with specific links to Apple in the section: "Pointers to Apple.com"
              near the top of that page. My Macintosh home page is

              http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/mac.html

              which links to an FAQ, my sales pages, various informational pages,
              and my Web links page.