Re: [midatlanticretro] M4775LL/a Stylewriter EtherTalk Adapter

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7 9:21 AM
      I bet Tom Owad knows the answer.
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 7 11:32 AM
        Ron,

        Does the print server (the printer Ethernet adapter) get an IP address from your router? Look in the router interface to see the list of attached devices. The print server may need some configuration before it starts advertising it's presence on the LAN. Is the Stylewriter a laser printer? Can it print a configuration report?

        Next, is your Mac running whatever software is needed to recognize a network printer?

        Jim

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 7 2:06 PM
          "rkushnier" <rkushnier@...> wrote:

          > I came across an old Stylewriter 2500 Printer and read it could be
          > networked with a M4775LL/a Stylewriter EtherTalk Adapter.
          >
          > I purchased this adapter on Ebay. However, I have not been able to
          > have the "chooser" recognize my Ethernet connection. I do not see any
          > indication on my router, or on the adapter, that there is Ethernet
          > activity. I do get a "Green" indication on the adapter that says it
          > is ready for use. AppleTalk is enabled. Running 8.6 OS.
          >
          > Any old MAC fans out there? Any suggestions? ANy one know where to
          > find answers for vintage apple equip?
          >
          > Ron

          I'm a Mac dealer, I sell older Mac stuff. (Has any MARCH member
          checked my Web site?) I've privately emailed a reply to R. Kushnier
          with some informative Web links. But I don't know how his System 8.6
          works with Chooser through a network - I presume a System 8 manual
          would be informative.

          I've pointed him to Apple's Web site of tech notes and manuals. Apple
          maintains PDF's of manuals and old software files, going back to the
          Apple II!

          Herb Johnson
          Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA

          Herb Johnson
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 7 2:33 PM
            >>> Apple maintains PDF's of manuals and old software files, going back
            to the Apple II!

            Really? Where? I couldn't find it at
            http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 7 2:42 PM
              On Sat, 7 Jul 2007, Evan Koblentz wrote:

              > to the Apple II!
              >
              > Really? Where? I couldn't find it at
              > http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/

              I don't remember seeing manuals that go back that far, but the legacy
              systems software is here:

              http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • rkushnier
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 8 4:41 AM
                Hi Guys,

                Thanks for all the good info. It will take a little time to wade
                through it all.

                Most Mac printers used a serial interface. These plugged into
                either the printer port or the serial modem port. AppleTalk was the
                protocol Macs communicated with over a network. Later, when TCP/IP
                became popular, Apple came out with MacTCP. Future versions of the OS
                incorporated TCP/IP in a more traditional approach.

                Anyway, I thought it would be neat to have an apple printer tied to
                my router, with its own independent IP address. The Stylewriter
                EtherTalk Adapter has an Ethernet connector on one end, and a serial
                connector on the other. It would be great, if I can figure out how
                to use it!

                I have an Apple Powerbook 1400 laptop (OS 8.6) and a PowerMac 4400
                (OS 9.1). The printer works fine attached at the serial ports.

                I'll report back with any progress. If anyone is interested, I can
                shoot some JPG's and post them in this forum.

                Ron
              • Herb Johnson
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 8 9:26 AM

                  Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
                  > I don't remember seeing manuals that go back that far, but the
                  legacy
                  > systems software is here:
                  >
                  > http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html

                  This Apple Tech note: "Apple Legacy Product Manuals"

                  has links to many legacy documents. Among the oldest are PDF's on the
                  Apple IIe and IIgs.

                  To search Apple's Web site for "legacy" information at, for instance,

                  http://search.info.apple.com/

                  which you can reach by using "advanced search" by name, you MUST check
                  the box marked "Archive [] Include archive content in search". This
                  used to say "content that was created prior to 1997", as is mentioned
                  and shown in the "help" page for advanced search.

                  I have a good number of vintage Macintosh Web links on this Web page:

                  http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/m_point.html

                  with specific links to Apple in the section: "Pointers to Apple.com"
                  near the top of that page. My Macintosh home page is

                  http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/mac.html

                  which links to an FAQ, my sales pages, various informational pages,
                  and my Web links page.