Re: [midatlanticretro] M4775LL/a Stylewriter EtherTalk Adapter

  • John Allain
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7, 2007
      > Any old MAC fans out there? Any suggestions? ANy one know
      > where to find answers for vintage apple equip?

      Fan? Yes. Answer? No. Places to look?
      Here's my list of places I'd try with such a problem.
      Let us know if/when you get it to work.

      http://LowEndMac.com/
      http://www.68kmla.net/ 68K Mac Liberation Army
      macmothership.com
      ( http://www.a2central.com/ Apple II )

      -

      > I have been thinking about adding a vintage Mac to my Apple collection,
      > but I really don't know much about the Macs and haven't been sure as to
      > which model to get.

      Seems like the SE/30 keeps tturning up as having a very high cool/weight
      ratio.

      -

      Judging from recent swapmeet activity, Macs and well-built servers
      may be the whole future of classiccmp activity, at least there.

      John A.
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 7, 2007
        I bet Tom Owad knows the answer.
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 7, 2007
          Ron,

          Does the print server (the printer Ethernet adapter) get an IP address from your router? Look in the router interface to see the list of attached devices. The print server may need some configuration before it starts advertising it's presence on the LAN. Is the Stylewriter a laser printer? Can it print a configuration report?

          Next, is your Mac running whatever software is needed to recognize a network printer?

          Jim

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 7, 2007
            "rkushnier" <rkushnier@...> wrote:

            > I came across an old Stylewriter 2500 Printer and read it could be
            > networked with a M4775LL/a Stylewriter EtherTalk Adapter.
            >
            > I purchased this adapter on Ebay. However, I have not been able to
            > have the "chooser" recognize my Ethernet connection. I do not see any
            > indication on my router, or on the adapter, that there is Ethernet
            > activity. I do get a "Green" indication on the adapter that says it
            > is ready for use. AppleTalk is enabled. Running 8.6 OS.
            >
            > Any old MAC fans out there? Any suggestions? ANy one know where to
            > find answers for vintage apple equip?
            >
            > Ron

            I'm a Mac dealer, I sell older Mac stuff. (Has any MARCH member
            checked my Web site?) I've privately emailed a reply to R. Kushnier
            with some informative Web links. But I don't know how his System 8.6
            works with Chooser through a network - I presume a System 8 manual
            would be informative.

            I've pointed him to Apple's Web site of tech notes and manuals. Apple
            maintains PDF's of manuals and old software files, going back to the
            Apple II!

            Herb Johnson
            Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA

            Herb Johnson
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 7, 2007
              >>> Apple maintains PDF's of manuals and old software files, going back
              to the Apple II!

              Really? Where? I couldn't find it at
              http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/
            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 7, 2007
                On Sat, 7 Jul 2007, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                > to the Apple II!
                >
                > Really? Where? I couldn't find it at
                > http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/

                I don't remember seeing manuals that go back that far, but the legacy
                systems software is here:

                http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              • rkushnier
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 8, 2007
                  Hi Guys,

                  Thanks for all the good info. It will take a little time to wade
                  through it all.

                  Most Mac printers used a serial interface. These plugged into
                  either the printer port or the serial modem port. AppleTalk was the
                  protocol Macs communicated with over a network. Later, when TCP/IP
                  became popular, Apple came out with MacTCP. Future versions of the OS
                  incorporated TCP/IP in a more traditional approach.

                  Anyway, I thought it would be neat to have an apple printer tied to
                  my router, with its own independent IP address. The Stylewriter
                  EtherTalk Adapter has an Ethernet connector on one end, and a serial
                  connector on the other. It would be great, if I can figure out how
                  to use it!

                  I have an Apple Powerbook 1400 laptop (OS 8.6) and a PowerMac 4400
                  (OS 9.1). The printer works fine attached at the serial ports.

                  I'll report back with any progress. If anyone is interested, I can
                  shoot some JPG's and post them in this forum.

                  Ron
                • Herb Johnson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 8, 2007

                    Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
                    > I don't remember seeing manuals that go back that far, but the
                    legacy
                    > systems software is here:
                    >
                    > http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html

                    This Apple Tech note: "Apple Legacy Product Manuals"

                    has links to many legacy documents. Among the oldest are PDF's on the
                    Apple IIe and IIgs.

                    To search Apple's Web site for "legacy" information at, for instance,

                    http://search.info.apple.com/

                    which you can reach by using "advanced search" by name, you MUST check
                    the box marked "Archive [] Include archive content in search". This
                    used to say "content that was created prior to 1997", as is mentioned
                    and shown in the "help" page for advanced search.

                    I have a good number of vintage Macintosh Web links on this Web page:

                    http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/m_point.html

                    with specific links to Apple in the section: "Pointers to Apple.com"
                    near the top of that page. My Macintosh home page is

                    http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/mac.html

                    which links to an FAQ, my sales pages, various informational pages,
                    and my Web links page.