IBM Series I wrap up

  • billdeg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26, 2005
      I thought I'd wrap up the discussion about the IBM Series I.  Thank you for the information received from members of this group.

      I spoke with a former IBM salesperson at length again about using the series 1.  He used to sell them, but he was not a tech.  He said that most of the time they sold 3101 monitors, which are ASCII.  He said that using a PC with a asynch card would do the trick.  I am sure that I can find the exact card part number in my documentation.  Once I find it I will make another post (to request one for trade), and perhaps some pictures.
      That's it.

      Message 2 of 3 , May 26, 2005
        Bill,

        "asynch card" is IBMese for a serial port. Any serial port will do. If the PC
        end is a 9-pin, then you will need a 9-pin to 25-pin adapter. These were very
        common in the days of analog (dial-up) modems. Next you need to know how the
        ports on the Series 1 are wired. I would expect them to be wired the same as
        a 25-pin PC and thus you will need a null-modem cable/adapter to cross the
        appropriate pairs. Hopefully your manuals have the pin-outs for the serial
        ports on the Series 1.

        Last you need a terminal emulator for the PC that can make the PC pretend to
        be a 3101. There were so many terminal programs back in the DOS days that I
        can't think of any right now. After sitting and looking at the screen, I
        remembered Procomm. This was a shareware program from the 80's that might
        speak 3101. Is the PC going to be running DOS? I must have some of these
        programs archived on tape somewhere...

        Jim

      • billdeg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , May 26, 2005
          Jim,
          Thanks. I believe I have everything I need then. I will let you know how it
          goes...I have been distracted temporarily by an HP86 Capstan roller that
          needs a new coat of rubber...then I will return to the Series I
          bd