Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Next MARCH workday

  • John Allain
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 26, 2007
      > How about some small signage for the MARCH collection on display? We
      > have a room full of technology, but no "tags" to even IDENTIFY these
      > items. They can run a laptop and printer, and cut out tags and glue

      Thanks for your interest.
      Yet another reason to go there on a Sunday, to see what the general public
      sees. To your point I donated a working laser printer 1y ago for just these
      sorts of purposes.
      I believe it's recogniged that a likely next step is catalog what we have...
      so the step following that would be to look up and get together the text
      to put on the needed tags, given the identities of the machines on display.

      - - -

      Is a WiFi connection of some sort still active at infoAge?

      John A.
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 27, 2007
        "John Allain" <allain@...> wrote:

        > > How about some small signage for the MARCH collection on display? We
        > > have a room full of technology, but no "tags" to even IDENTIFY these
        > > items. They can run a laptop and printer, and cut out tags and glue
        >
        > Thanks for your interest.
        > Yet another reason to go there on a Sunday, to see what the general
        public
        > sees. To your point I donated a working laser printer 1y ago for
        just these
        > sorts of purposes.
        > I believe it's recogniged that a likely next step is catalog what we
        have...
        > so the step following that would be to look up and get together the text
        > to put on the needed tags, given the identities of the machines on
        display.

        > - - -
        >
        > Is a WiFi connection of some sort still active at infoAge?
        >
        > John A.

        I think you like the idea of tagging the items on exhibit. I believe
        the other exhibitors have their displayed items tagged and identified.

        So I suggest not waiting for a catalog or Internet access. Laptop,
        printer, and someone to point to each item and say "this is a X". The
        youngsters can type into the laptop the list, print it in large font,
        and cut and paste as described. The kids will be there anyway,
        apparently: it's a useful task and they are almost certainly able to
        do it. And, there will be a list of what we have on display TODAY.
        That might be useful.

        If it's a good idea, GET IT DONE. The phrase "don't let the best be
        the enemy of the good" comes to mind....

        Herb Johnson