Next MARCH workday

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 24, 2007

      …Taking a break from my self-imposed MARCH vacation to announce our next InfoAge work day: Saturday, June 30, starting at 10am.

      InfoAge has a bunch of high school volunteers arriving the following Monday, and there’s a good chance of those kids doing a lot of paint work for us.  So, we need to get our rooms ready (by moving our stuff around), otherwise we are wasting a great opportunity to offload the #1 job that we all hate doing.

      One of our rooms is already clear from last time; this time I want to focus on our largest room at the start of the hallway.  Basically we should move things around so that it’s all compressed into the smallest possible space in the center of these rooms, and then all covered by a tarp so paint doesn’t get on the computers.  Then, the kids (and/or us) can paint the walls without obstacles or worry.

      - Evan

    • Jeffrey Frady
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 25, 2007
        I'm free Saturday.  I'll try to go.  How much help do you need?

[...]

        Moderator at http://forums.palm.com
      • Joe Giliberti

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 25, 2007
            otherwise, maybe someone can bring a television and a playstation :)

            On 6/25/07, madodel <madodel@... > wrote:
            Evan Koblentz wrote:
            > …Taking a break from my self-imposed MARCH vacation to announce our next
            > InfoAge work day: Saturday, June 30, starting at 10am.
            >

            > InfoAge has a bunch of high school volunteers arriving the following
            > Monday, and there's a good chance of those kids doing a lot of paint
            > work for us.  So, we need to get our rooms ready (by moving our stuff
            > around), otherwise we are wasting a great opportunity to offload the #1
            > job that we all hate doing.
            >

            > One of our rooms is already clear from last time; this time I want to
            > focus on our largest room at the start of the hallway.  Basically we
            > should move things around so that it's all compressed into the smallest
            > possible space in the center of these rooms, and then all covered by a
            > tarp so paint doesn't get on the computers.  Then, the kids (and/or us)
            > can paint the walls without obstacles or worry.
            >

            > - Evan

            I will try to be there.  I may have to bring my kids (Katie is 13 and Alex
            10), but they can use the volunteer time for their school.   They are
            useless around the house, but they seem to be helpful when there is a job
            to do, as long as its not lifting really heavy objects.

            Mark

            --

              From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

              Warpstock 2007 - Where?, http://www.warpstock.org

            http://www.os2voice.org

            democratic State itself.   That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of
            Investigation, 1938

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto: midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 25, 2007
              >>> as long as its not lifting really heavy objects

              That's pretty much the focus -- reorganize our big stuff to make room for
              the painters. I'm not sure what children can do to help us, but I'm open
              to suggestions.
            • madodel
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 25, 2007
                Evan Koblentz wrote:
                > …Taking a break from my self-imposed MARCH vacation to announce our next
                > InfoAge work day: Saturday, June 30, starting at 10am.
                >

                > InfoAge has a bunch of high school volunteers arriving the following
                > Monday, and there’s a good chance of those kids doing a lot of paint
                > work for us. So, we need to get our rooms ready (by moving our stuff
                > around), otherwise we are wasting a great opportunity to offload the #1
                > job that we all hate doing.
                >

                > One of our rooms is already clear from last time; this time I want to
                > focus on our largest room at the start of the hallway. Basically we
                > should move things around so that it’s all compressed into the smallest
                > possible space in the center of these rooms, and then all covered by a
                > tarp so paint doesn’t get on the computers. Then, the kids (and/or us)
                > can paint the walls without obstacles or worry.
                >

                > - Evan

                I will try to be there. I may have to bring my kids (Katie is 13 and Alex
                10), but they can use the volunteer time for their school. They are
                useless around the house, but they seem to be helpful when there is a job
                to do, as long as its not lifting really heavy objects.

                Mark

                --

                From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

                Warpstock 2007 - Where?, http://www.warpstock.org

                http://www.os2voice.org

                Investigation, 1938
              • Herb Johnson
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 26, 2007
                  --- madodel <madodel@...> wrote:

                  > I will try to be there. I may have to bring my kids (Katie is 13
                  and Alex
                  > 10), but they can use the volunteer time for their school. They are
                  > useless around the house, but they seem to be helpful when there is
                  a job
                  > to do, as long as its not lifting really heavy objects.
                  >
                  > Mark

                  How about some small signage for the MARCH collection on display? We
                  have a room full of technology, but no "tags" to even IDENTIFY these
                  items. They can run a laptop and printer, and cut out tags and glue
                  them to pressboard. Fold some more paper to make a three sided
                  triangular "tube" to which the tag can be attached, to make a free
                  standing tag for items inside our cases. These are tasks that can
                  likely be done by youngsters, with supervision as to details.

                  We don't have much space for signage, but small tags would identify
                  items. And a list of items on display could be used by someone offline
                  to write up the briefest of descripions - name, date produced,
                  signifigance and use. That could be a handout to visitors, and a
                  document for the Web site about our exhibit. We have little to no
                  information about our exhibits on either InfoAge or MARCH Web pages -
                  unless I missed something.

                  Herb Johnson
                • John Allain
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 26, 2007
                    > How about some small signage for the MARCH collection on display? We
                    > have a room full of technology, but no "tags" to even IDENTIFY these
                    > items. They can run a laptop and printer, and cut out tags and glue

                    Thanks for your interest.
                    Yet another reason to go there on a Sunday, to see what the general public
                    sees. To your point I donated a working laser printer 1y ago for just these
                    sorts of purposes.
                    I believe it's recogniged that a likely next step is catalog what we have...
                    so the step following that would be to look up and get together the text
                    to put on the needed tags, given the identities of the machines on display.

                    - - -

                    Is a WiFi connection of some sort still active at infoAge?

                    John A.
                  • Herb Johnson
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 27, 2007
                      "John Allain" <allain@...> wrote:

                      > > How about some small signage for the MARCH collection on display? We
                      > > have a room full of technology, but no "tags" to even IDENTIFY these
                      > > items. They can run a laptop and printer, and cut out tags and glue
                      >
                      > Thanks for your interest.
                      > Yet another reason to go there on a Sunday, to see what the general
                      public
                      > sees. To your point I donated a working laser printer 1y ago for
                      just these
                      > sorts of purposes.
                      > I believe it's recogniged that a likely next step is catalog what we
                      have...
                      > so the step following that would be to look up and get together the text
                      > to put on the needed tags, given the identities of the machines on
                      display.

                      > - - -
                      >
                      > Is a WiFi connection of some sort still active at infoAge?
                      >
                      > John A.

                      I think you like the idea of tagging the items on exhibit. I believe
                      the other exhibitors have their displayed items tagged and identified.

                      So I suggest not waiting for a catalog or Internet access. Laptop,
                      printer, and someone to point to each item and say "this is a X". The
                      youngsters can type into the laptop the list, print it in large font,
                      and cut and paste as described. The kids will be there anyway,
                      apparently: it's a useful task and they are almost certainly able to
                      do it. And, there will be a list of what we have on display TODAY.
                      That might be useful.

                      If it's a good idea, GET IT DONE. The phrase "don't let the best be
                      the enemy of the good" comes to mind....

                      Herb Johnson