Re: [midatlanticretro] New to MARCH

  • billdeg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 18, 2005
      what you don't have in quantity you have in quality...what REV (revision) is the KIM?  I have an expansion board for a newer KIM, but I am not sure what REV it's for exactly.  It's blue if that helps.  There are ports for s-100 bus and cassette and ??...Let me know if you'd like me to bring the board.

      I have a working REV G Kim

      I am bringing a complete VIC-20 setup as my contribution to the TCF.  A newer 6502.

      Bill Degnan
      vintagecomputer.net

      In a message dated 2/18/2005 1:06:59 AM Eastern Standard Time, us21090@... writes:
      But all pshaw-ing aside, I do have a KIM-1 single-board computer that
      I'm pleased to still have (my childhood Digi-Comp 1, Think-a-Dot and
      GENIAC were victims of house cleaning!).  The site
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIM-1 has a nice page on this computer.
      In short, it was an in-expensive single-board computer system
      developed by MOS to show off the capabilities of their new CPU, the
      6502 (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOS_Technologies_6502 ).   It
      was wildly popular (to the chagrin of Intel and Motorola) and lead to
      the choice for CPUs in the Apple ][, Commodore, Atari, NES and others.
      Cool to have the system.  Nope-- not for swap, trade or for sale.

      But I haven't powered it up in years (decades?).  I'm busy this time
      of year, but if I can get some time I'd love to get it working and
      come to TCF.

    • rarecoinbuyer
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 18, 2012
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "us21090" <us21090@...> wrote:

        > I do have a KIM-1 single-board computer that
        > I'm pleased to still have (my childhood Digi-Comp 1, Think-a-Dot and
        > GENIAC were victims of house cleaning!). The site
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIM-1 has a nice page on this computer.
        > In short, it was an in-expensive single-board computer system
        > developed by MOS to show off the capabilities of their new CPU, the
        > 6502 (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOS_Technologies_6502 ). It
        > was wildly popular (to the chagrin of Intel and Motorola) and lead to
        > the choice for CPUs in the Apple ][, Commodore, Atari, NES and others.
        > Cool to have the system. Nope-- not for swap, trade or for sale.

        I've been looking for an original MOS KIM-1 recently but prices have gone through the roof. I consistently get bid beyond budget. I wish I had an interest back in the 1990s when you could pick them up for song.

        I hope this is not retro off topic, but what do you think of the microKIM kit that is available today? I think it would make a decent "hole filler" until I can afford a real KIM-1.
      • Bob Applegate
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 18, 2012

          On Feb 18, 2012, at 1:27 PM, rarecoinbuyer wrote:

          I've been looking for an original MOS KIM-1 recently but prices have gone through the roof. I consistently get bid beyond budget. I wish I had an interest back in the 1990s when you could pick them up for song.

          I hope this is not retro off topic, but what do you think of the microKIM kit that is available today? I think it would make a decent "hole filler" until I can afford a real KIM-1.

          This depends on what you want a KIM for.  If you want a genuine KIM-1, then this won't do, but if you want to run KIM software and see what it was like in the early days of home computers, then the microKIM is perfect.  It's also safer to play with since parts are readily available.

          Bob

        • rarecoinbuyer
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 18, 2012
            That makes sense. I am familiar with the philosophy. In rare coin collecting, it's always better to have an original worn out flat cull example of the date as a hole filler than any replica.

            However, as you mention, it would be fun to program and experiment with. And I could use the practice soldering. Probably not a bad purchase for $99. Thank you.

            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "rarecoinbuyer" <rarecoinbuyer@...> wrote:

            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "us21090" <us21090@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I do have a KIM-1 single-board computer that
            > > I'm pleased to still have (my childhood Digi-Comp 1, Think-a-Dot and
            > > GENIAC were victims of house cleaning!). The site
            > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIM-1 has a nice page on this computer.
            > > In short, it was an in-expensive single-board computer system
            > > developed by MOS to show off the capabilities of their new CPU, the
            > > 6502 (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOS_Technologies_6502 ). It
            > > was wildly popular (to the chagrin of Intel and Motorola) and lead to
            > > the choice for CPUs in the Apple ][, Commodore, Atari, NES and others.
            > > Cool to have the system. Nope-- not for swap, trade or for sale.
            > >

            > I've been looking for an original MOS KIM-1 recently but prices have gone through the roof. I consistently get bid beyond budget. I wish I had an interest back in the 1990s when you could pick them up for song.
            >
            > I hope this is not retro off topic, but what do you think of the microKIM kit that is available today? I think it would make a decent "hole filler" until I can afford a real KIM-1.

          • Systems Glitch
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 19, 2012
              Unfortunately, I ended up selling my last Rev 0 KIM-1 to pay the bills while trying to find a job. One of the things that made it easier to let go of was knowing that I could buy a well-designed microKIM kit for less than a fifth of what original MOS KIM-1s were going for at the time. Plus, I'd get to build another kit!

              Previous replies are definitely correct in that it's safer to experiment with the microKIM, especially if you're going to attach things to the KIM-1's output port(s). The original used mask-programmed 6530s, which included part of the KIM monitor as well as the I/O ports. Blowing an I/O port means you need to find a preprogrammed 6530 from another KIM-1, or live with that I/O bit dead (assuming you haven't blown out other 6530 functions).

              Thanks,
              Jonathan

              On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:05:57 -0000

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 19, 2012

                On Feb 19, 2012, at 10:33 AM, Systems Glitch wrote:

                Previous replies are definitely correct in that it's safer to experiment with the microKIM, especially if you're going to attach things to the KIM-1's output port(s). The original used mask-programmed 6530s, which included part of the KIM monitor as well as the I/O ports. Blowing an I/O port means you need to find a preprogrammed 6530 from another KIM-1, or live with that I/O bit dead (assuming you haven't blown out other 6530 functions).

                That's exactly my problem.  One of my KIMs has one dead pin of a 6530, so the display and keyboard don't work.  I've been looking for a semi-working, or even dead, KIM and hope that the one chip I need is still working.  Fortunately I have another KIM working :)

                Bob

              • criticalweld1
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 10, 2014
                  Hello,I'm new to the group, have a love of 70's and 80's computers, and want to help out at the workshop. I attended the last VCF and was so excited to find out that there is a local group of other people that really appreciate vintage computers!I am by no means a programmer or technician by trade. I do have enough of a working knowledge to share the computers of my childhood with my kids (3 and 5 yrs old) and help out anyone at the workshop that could use a "helper" :-)What time are you guys meeting up on Saturday?Thanks,Alex Duboski Clementon, NJ criticalweld@... (607)229-8943
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 10, 2014
                    >> Hello, I'm new to the group

                    Welcome.

                    >> I attended the last VCF

                    How did you hear about it?

                    >> What time are you guys meeting up on Saturday?

                    See next email....
                  • criticalweld1
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 10, 2014
                      >> I attended the last VCF>> How did you hear about it?
                      Being a ham (KB2YEF) and searching for hamfests to go to, I just googled "vintage computer show NJ" and you guys popped up!-Alex