Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Building a computer (May or may not be OT)

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 17, 2007
      I'd prefer to see you succeed as well, which I why I'd strongly suggest you
      start
      with a known computer rather than just winging it on your own.

      Put me down for ANOTHER $25 contribution. However, mine is hanging on the
      6 work hours combined from Jack and Joe. Ie, work 3 hours and you get $25
      towards your KIM. Do an extra 3 hours and you'll have $75.

      Someone let me know when he hits his 6 hours!

      Joe, have you ever used a KIM-1? My guess is no. Before you go out and
      try to add a TVT-II and all sorts of add-ons, can I suggest that you learn
      to use
      the machine first? Why screw up a perfectly running system when thousands
      of other engineers learned their way on a simple KIM? My wife, kids, nice
      house, collection of antique computers, nice cars and everything else I have
      now are the result of mastering the KIM-1 when I was 16 years old. It's a
      trusted friend that has tought me a lot. Take the time to learn it and
      you'll
      be a better engineer as a result!

      Good books for 6502 programming:

      Microcomputer Systesm Principles Featuring the 6502/KIM
      by Camp, Smay and Triska

      The First Book of KIM (FBOK)
      Butterfield, Ockers, Rehnke, etc, etc, etc

      Magazines that you might find on eBay:

      Micro - this is an all 6502 magazine

      There were also three books incldued with the original KIM, one
      owner's manual, a hardware manual and a software manual. I
      see them used on eBay from time to time.

      The instruction set is very well documented on-line, so you don't need any
      books... just study code. You're programs will stink at first, but getting
      them
      to work is the fun part!

      Bob

      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 17, 2007
        Like many discussion threads, this one is going in several directions.

        1) University libaries. People local to a university can often get
        limited privledges by paying a deposit, or an annual fee. Check the
        library's Web site for more information, or ask a "senior" staffer at
        the library (student staff may not know this stuff). University
        libraries are good sources for books a few decades old. But you won't
        get "interlibrary loan" privledges as a "depositer" at a Univ. library
        - but you can do that from your local public library.

        2) The microKIM uses a few odd parts, and of course some ROMS. Joe, if
        you make one from scratch, better plan on a way to get those ROMS, and
        make sure you can get ALL the chips on the schematic. The ROM source
        and binaries are available from the microKIM site.

        For fun, if you do make a list of parts and prices, I'd be curious to
        know the total. Betcha the kit price will be close to your onesie's
        parts prices! ;)

        3) The microKIM does not normally have a cassette port; programs are
        downloaded from the serial port, which one would generally connect to
        a PC where you can load and save programs in hex format. Consequently,
        using a PC with the microKIM is just fine. But you can of course load
        programs in hex from the keypad.

        My advice was to program from the keypad, by the way, as a way to
        learn coding at the bit level. That seemed to be your interest.

        4) Building a TV Typewriter, or the II, will be harder than building
        the microKIM from scratch. I'm not sure what your objectives or
        priorities are, my apologies.

        5) Please read the microKIM manual to get a better idea of what you'll
        need to use it. If it's not on the Web site, ask for a copy from the
        seller. Chances are he'll send a file, or if he charges for a printed
        version he'll deduct it from your kit purchase.

        This ends my advice. Joe, you are a good guy, but you want to do many
        things for many reasons. That's fine, but it's more than an old guy
        like me can keep up with. No disrespect meant.

        Herb Johnson

        Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA