Re: [midatlanticretro] TV Typewriter II

  • bob van cleef
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 17, 2007
      F.Y.I.
      the 2513 is only a pre-programmed read-only-memory (ROM) chip.  if you are cleaver, you could program your own character set in an EPROM and substitute it in the circuit.  this is an example of subbing.  bobvc99

      Joe Giliberti <Starbase89@...> wrote:
      main problem right now is finding the 2513 Character Generator. No one seems to make it any longer.

      On 6/16/07, Sridhar Ayengar < ploopster@gmail. com> wrote:
      Joe Giliberti wrote:
      > Because I am going to be building a KIM-1 Micro, I'll want to have a
      > terminal of some sort so I can better interact with it. I was thinking
      > along the lines of a TV typewriter, mainly because I really want this
      > system to have the whole "homebrew" feel to it. Using a regular serial
      > terminal, or God forbid, a windows PC to interact with it, wouldn't be
      > right. Since it was not designed by Don lancaster, the TV Typewriter
      > cookbook would probably be of little help, but I found full information
      > on it, including assembly instructions, schematics, and parts lists
      > online. The main reason I did not choose the original TVT is because I
      > cannot find for sale some of the original ICs that were used, and I do
      > not want to re-engineer it to use different chips. The TVT II designs I
      > found include instructions for the main board, a keyboard and ASCII
      > Converter, a memory board, cursor controller board, the power supply,
      > and a serial interface board. Before I go after the KIM 1 replica, I
      > think I am going to attempt this. Any advice is welcome.

      That's a good simple starter project. Make sure you use a durable
      RS-232 chip.

      Peace... Sridhar

      Got a little couch potato?

    • Dan
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 17, 2007
        Joe,

        Jim has made a very good point.
        Test one part/function/module at a time - it's what I learned in school
        since the 70's.

        Providing you get the KIM-1 kit built,tested, and running, I have
        something to donate.
        You can have my Keyboard/encoder from the original TV Typewriter II from
        SWTPC.
        You can see it here on the SWTPC website (part# KB-5)
        http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/CT_1024/TV_Typewriter_II.htm

        I have used it in ages, all the chips are in sockets, and it's not
        corroded(it just has the aged look).
        Also, any chips that you might need, I have a bunch here too you can
        have to build this.
        Just send a list, I'll see what I can do and can drop it an an envelope.
        Don't worry about the shipping for the keyboard(just send address when
        it's time)

        But I think I'll have to add some time to your volunteer quota, how
        about another 2hrs :)
        Somewhere in all this, there should some supervision for this effort to
        ensure all the milestones are met.

        FYI:
        Don Lancaster, designer of TV Typewriter, grew up in *Pittsburgh !*

        enjoy!
        =Dan

        [ vintage electrons are alive in Pittsburgh ]
        [ http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]

        Jim Scheef wrote:
        > Joe,
        >
        > You're making this too complex again. Start out with a terminal that
        > you know works - run terminal on your PC. Ok, it's not vintage but
        > will be one less thing to debug. Worry about building a terminal after
        > you have the KIM-1 running, debugged and have written a program or
        > two. Basic principle: build and debug one thing at a time.
        >
        > Jim

      • Evan
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 17, 2007
          Hot damn! Pretty soon Joe might make a PROFIT from our fiscal generousity.

          Joe: I heard back from Vince. He's going to try to have a kit in July. Meanwhile the schematics are online and soon he'll post a section-by-section explanation of them. He also offers a $10 student discount. So with Dan's donation you now have a FREE kim-1. Dan, Jack, Bobvc: I'll ping you guys separately with Vince's payment data, so Joe can't spend it on sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll. :)

          Joe: don't worry, college girls love EE majors! Honest!!
        • Joe Giliberti
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 17, 2007
            Hah! Tell that to my father.

            Thats awesome about the KIM. If I could get one for July, that would be perfect. Thanks for all your help, guys. You're awesome. Perhaps I'll practice my soldering skills now on my old TriZone Pinball. Needs pretty much all the molex connectors reflowed.

            On 6/17/07, Evan <evan@...> wrote:

            Hot damn! Pretty soon Joe might make a PROFIT from our fiscal generousity.

            Joe: I heard back from Vince. He's going to try to have a kit in July. Meanwhile the schematics are online and soon he'll post a section-by-section explanation of them. He also offers a $10 student discount. So with Dan's donation you now have a FREE kim-1. Dan, Jack, Bobvc: I'll ping you guys separately with Vince's payment data, so Joe can't spend it on sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll. :)

            Joe: don't worry, college girls love EE majors! Honest!!

          • rkushnier
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 18, 2007
              Just got in on the tail-end of this thread, so I'm not sure what's up.

              But, the Kim-1 box I donated to MARCH and is being stored in the
              bowels of the basement, has in it, The TV Typewriter documentation,
              as well as Lancaster's book, original Kim-1 User Notes, and several
              other articles. The Kim-1 also has been modified and includes the TVT-
              6 video interface.

              Ron Kushnier