Post VCF Projects

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 14, 2007
      I will trudge forward this month, here are my current projects:

      1) Working with the University of Delaware to transplant my TRS 80 exhibit from the VCF into Smith Hall for permanent display (with some computers donated to the University).  I am working to manage two 15' display cases with vintage gear.  I already have 20 students signed up for my class this fall, so I will be working this summer to prepare the lessons.  It's my desire to build a Delaware cell for MARCH, and to build local interest in vintage computing in general.

      3) On the day of the VCF I finally got Stringy Floppy with an in-tact drive belt.  I promised some data conversion to Sellam and others;
      stringy --> cassette or modem --> outside world for archiving purposes.

      3) Repair work  (VIM-1 and S-100 Thinker Toy motherboard are at the top of the list)

      4) Bryan Pope and I were planning on a work/repair day at my house some time soon.  I have new CBM IEEE-related stuff to assess and repair (8050 drives and B series prototype boards), plus some new service manuals.  If anyone is interested or needs a disk drive repaired, contact me off list.

      5) Herb Johnson may stop by for a visit.  He has some Sinclair stuff to go over.

      6) Altair 680b - needs more memory, waiting on various sources.

      7) Teletype and IMSAI project...using only an ASR33 for I/O, just like the Osborne books use in their Introduction to Computers volume 0.

      8) Archiving C-64/128 disks to modern media.

      Bill
    • John Allain
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 14, 2007
        I'll just say that I had a heck of a nice time at the VCF
        and am enthused to get back into some vintage projects
        after a year off with family projects.

        Here:
        I'm much less organized that Bill at this moment but hope to do:

        Spend more time with pizza/beers and seeing the local MARCH
        folks up around here (lower Hudson valley).

        Donate out excess modern whitebox computers (pentium 100&up)
        to charity. Use the gained space to fix up any partial classiccmps
        into working configurations.

        Make a Permanent Linux box with good 5.25 drive(s)/SCSI/DLT/
        8-track(reel) etc. support.

        There:
        Visit InfoAge at least 4 times in the next 12 months (finding a decent
        hotel, or trying Fred's shed) to make display quality systems out of
        some of the DEC boxes sitting around in suspended animutation*.

        Return trip to Silicon Valley, where I lived during a job a few years ago.

        John A.
        *typo serendipity

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 14, 2007
            Hey Evan, Andy, Bryan and the rest of the gang,

            Thanks for a fun VCF weekend! You all did a great job putting together the show. I really enjoyed the dinners, speakers, exhibits and just pow-wowing.

            My post-VCF projects are:

            1) learn how to solder so I can fix that blown capacitor on the Kaypro II

            2) buy one of Vince Briel's kits and give it a shot putting it together

            3) post the VCF speaker recordings on my web site (Sridhar, soon, I promise!)

            This weekend I'm driving west from Syracuse to Rochester to pick up a TSR80 4p. I think it has full documentation and is supposed to be in great shape. $40 didn't sound like a bad price to me.

            Andy (Syracuse)

            > I will trudge forward this month, here are my current projects:

            >1) Working with the University of Delaware ...
          • Robert Van Cleef
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 15, 2007
              it's called 38 motel. bobvc99

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Van Cleef"