Just an FYI -- taking a little vacation from MARCH :)

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2007

      Hi everyone,

      Jim Scheef and I are working diligently to finalize the financial data of VCF East 4.0, re: MARCH’s current status.  The preliminary news: we made about the same amount as last year, which is in the mid-three-figure range.  Combined with our existing budget, and after we pay some bills, we expect to have around $800 in the bank, of which we’ll give a small percentage back to InfoAge – sort of an unofficial annual way for us to say “Thank you!” for all the (free!) help and space they’ve given to our club.  Anyway, look for details in the next week or two.

      Meanwhile, I’m taking a much-needed break!  I’ll still go to the museum on Wed. nights and Sundays (but not this coming weekend: I have baseball tickets and our museum room is very messy at the moment), however, I’m going to step back from any NEW projects for the next few weeks.  Will use that extra time for some R&R, and also to re-focus on my personal vintage computer collection and research.  My own collection has been feeling neglected!  J

      I’ll probably pick up with MARCH projects again in late June or early July.  InfoAge is having a bunch of high school kids (honors students) visit for the first two weeks in July; these are kids from around the USA who volunteered and picked InfoAge as the most interesting thing to them from a large catalog of available work.  Fred intends to put ‘em to work doing the things we hate doing ourselves.  For MARCH, that means painting our museum rooms!  I’m not saying they will do ALL the work for us, but they’ll be a massive help.  So, a few days before that happens (which again, will probably be in late June-ish), we’ll need to have a work day to move our shit (errr, “collections”) out of the way.

      Longer-term, we’ll hopefully be able to start building our REAL museum exhibits this fall if not sooner.  That will be super-duper-exciting.  If all (or at least most) goes according to plan, then we can have a BIG grand opening party this winter or (at the latest) to coincide with (aaaccck!) VCF East 5.0 next spring.  I still think that “MARCH-Grabbe Computer Museum” is a good name … not terribly easy to speak it, but it gets the point across.  Better suggestions are welcome!

      So …. for anything that’s just day-to-day MARCH business, please ping the likes of Bill Degnan, Jim Scheef, Andy Meyer, Bryan Pope, and John Allain …. at least for the next couple of weeks while I search for some semblance of sanity.  I’ll be accessible if anything BIG happens (like if someone wants to make a nice donation, or if there’s a revolution and you guys decide things are running a whole lot better without me around!) …. but mostly I’m going to just let our Yahoo list maintain itself as I disappear for a while, focus on my own stuff, watch some baseball, drink beer while laying in my hammock, and get in many hours of driving the Miata on twisty backstreets.

      Happy rest of June.  Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do!

      Your enthusiastic but tired leader,

      - Evan

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 14, 2007
        Evan,
        Thanks for your hard work...you deserve a vacation.  The event was quite a success thanks in to you, seriously.  Without you, where MARCH is today would not be possible.
        Bill
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 14, 2007
          On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, B. Degnan wrote:

          > Thanks for your hard work...you deserve a vacation. The event was quite a
          > success thanks in to you, seriously. Without you, where MARCH is today would
          > not be possible.

          I'll add my thanks, as well. We tend to take it for granted that
          events like VCF just happen, when in reality it's people like Evan, Jim,
          Fred, Steve, and others who MAKE it happen.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • us21090
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 15, 2007
            Evan,

            > Meanwhile, I'm taking a much-needed break!
            > disappear
            > baseball
            > beer
            > hammock

            I haven't participated much online or in person at the events and
            InfoAge (though my sons and I had our gear at TCF'05 next to your
            display)... but I have to chime in, too.

            It's very obvious to all of us that you've been central to the
            creation and growth of MARCH. A lot of work and a lot of time has
            been invested. I guess working tirelessly does make one tired. Thank
            you!

            Relax and enjoy! You deserve it.

            Of course, many thanks also go to the others who's names we often see
            here in (helpful) contexts! Or as we say down here in Maryland-
            Thanks to all y'all.

            Scott Austin

            [[fade to stealth]]
          • Dan