Update - S-100 Proto board design available online - pcb image and cad image

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 12, 2007
      I've been working on a S-100 proto board design recently.
      I like to say thanks for all the suggestions that everyone sent.

      I updated the page to include images of the pcb design and the cad
      design(3D)
      Anyone else that might be interested in this, I can add your name to the
      list on there.

      You can see the current work on my homepage.
      http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/rog.html

      =Dan

      --
      [ beauty is in the eye of the beer holder ]
      [ http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2007
        > I've been working on a S-100 proto board design recently.
        > I like to say thanks for all the suggestions that everyone sent.

        Dan,

        Sorry not to see you at VFC!

        My only questions about the protoboard have to do with the voltage
        regulators - I liked the idea of putting them on opposite corners to
        aid cooling but with modern chips and relatively low density
        prototypes, it may not be much of an issue. But even if you leave all
        the regulators "stacked" on one side, wouldn't it make sense to put
        the higher load 5v regulator at the top simply for cooling
        considerations?

        Also, would you include switches/jumpers so the regulators can be
        enabled/disabled? I can see using this board in both "classic"
        (unregulated, linear power) and "modern" (regulated PSU) systems and
        it would be great to be able to simply switch jumpers as necessary.

        Last idea - how about laying out a couple of similar boards with the
        proper connector finger offset to fit the 680b? Not sure if these
        boards will done up in panels but if so, it would be nice to dedicate
        one space to a 680 adapter.

        best,
        Jack
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 13, 2007
          There's still a few final touches I need to put on the design. The power
          jumpers and the 0.1uf's still need to get put on. Right now, I have a
          few more traces to layout to complete the design.

          I'll have to see how easy I can swap the regulators.

          I never installed the expander board for my 680 yet. I don't have the
          dimensions for the 680 cards. I recall from looking at the manuals that
          it was the reverse of a S-100 with corner on the short end having a
          deeper cutout. If you or anyone has the dimensions I can look into this too.

          I was already looking into making an expander board which would have and
          S-100 adapter to let you use existing S-100 boards. There's way more
          S-100 cards that can be used. Bascially, the expander board would
          contain the hardware interface to convert between the two bus interfaces
          without having to add any software patches.

          I kinda regret not making it this year to VCF.
          But I'll certainly be there next year !!!
          and with enough beer money :)

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 14, 2007
            Dan,

            >I kinda regret not making it this year to VCF.
            >But I'll certainly be there next year !!!
            >and with enough beer money :)

            $555 worth?
          • Dan
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 14, 2007