Exatron Stringy Floppy Drive

  • billdeg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 23, 2005
      Howdy.
      Tonight I was able to get an Exatron stringy floppy drive up and running on a
      TRS 80 model 1 (26-1003). I was not able to find any pictures of working
      Exatron drives on the internet, so I thought I would take a few pics of the basic
      operation statements for posterity. I was actually able to load a
      dissasembler program written my Miosys, Inc. saved on a stringy.
      http://www.vintagecomputer.net/tandy/trs80_1/exatron_stringy_floppy/

      Here is a link for more information
      http://www.webweavers.co.nz/system-80/hardware_accessories.htm#stringy

      I found references on the web stating that the Coleco Adam could support the
      stringy, and maybe the VIC 20, but I have never seen this. The page indicates
      that the stringy made it to at least 1984 before its demise.
      http://www.sacnews.net/adamcomputer/01.html

      Here is a link to proably the final version of the stringy floppy manual,
      parts of my manual, believe it or not, are hand-written, I must have a
      preliminary release? The serial number of my drive is 1541.

      http://home.att.net/~comp_guru/
    • msimonsmail
      Message 2 of 2 , May 23, 2005
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, billdeg@a... wrote:
        > Howdy.
        > Tonight I was able to get an Exatron stringy floppy drive up and
        running on a
        > TRS 80 model 1 (26-1003). I was not able to find any pictures of
        working

        I have some 'floppies' for this if you want them (got to find them...
        last count it was about 17 although I think one or two might have
        gotten messed up in some fluid and I might have tossed a couple.)

        I rescued them from an old pack-rat doctors' house.