Let me just say...

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 10, 2007

      …That any of you who DIDN’T come to our VCF East this weekend are complete and utter fools.  The event was friggin’ awesome.

      Around ¼ of the exhibitors came Friday night afternoon/evening to get ready.  This year we expanded the venue from one room to two, the second being the infamous “Building 9032-A” that I’ve been nagging you all about for InfoAge work days.  The room is still VERY under construction, but MARCH friends such as Steve G., Fred, Will Donzelli, Bryan, myself, and others all raced to get it ready.  Some of our volunteers were literally still installing sheetrock and clearing the room of debris that morning.  So we had to use some yellow caution tape, but it added character.  J

      Friday night was bar trip #1 … I drove back to my hotel safely was but very, very tired waking up early Saturday.

      For Chuck Peddle’s videocon Saturday morning, the weakest part of our internet connection was the wifi … or so I thought!  Turns out, the wifi worked great, as did Skype. Chuck spoke to us for an hour+ … then he got an strong round of applause … then we were about to begin audience Q&A.

      All was fine until that part.  Until our videocon server went BSOD!!  Actually the ‘server’ is Bryan’s home PC, which is now kaput.  We couldn’t even get it to reboot in “safe mode” … so we emailed Chuck from my cell phone, who said he had to get going anyway, but that anyone with questions could email him.

      Commodore’s Bil Herb, Bob, Russell, and Dave Haynie took their turns next; lots more great stories and they brought many prototypes to show us, including the famous Commodore LCD.  They even hung around our exhibit hall after the panel and after eating some chocolate chickenhead cake.  One of them, Haynie, joined us for the official VCF Dinner that night.

      Speaking of dinner: the bill was $555.58.  If only someone hadn’t drank that last three cents of beer…!  Then I hung out at the hotel with Andy M. (ours, not the one from Syracuse who also come to the show) plus some guy from came to our show from Tennessee.

      Today was just as much fun.  We had how-to lectures, we learned the history of CPM, we heard all about Jeri E.’s toy-making experiences and there’s a picture of someone posing next to our museum’s chip collection.  Meanwhile the collecting guru Sellam told some secrets … which I’m not going to share here, you had to be there! … except for this one: when pushing an 8-foot-tall rack, be alert for unstable monitors on top.  (Hopefully there won’t be a scar.)

      My LEAST favorite part of any VCF is tearing down at the end of the weekend.  But it had to be done.  To ease out of the weekend while staying in a good mood, I went to dinner with Hans and Sellam, had a few beers, and … well it’s been a while since I drank three nights in a row.

      Anyway, the show was terrific.  Peddle’s unique hour-long lecture, 20-ish exhibits, attendance in the triple figures, and we even gave a few museum tours.  Heck, one guy came all the way from New Zealand.

      Pics and hopefully some video will be posted soon.

      - Evan

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 10, 2007
        Everyone,

        ---What he said.

        A *very* preliminary strip of pictures is up on the MARCH web site at http://www.midatlanticretro.org/VCFe4/index.htm.

        I know I had a great time and hope you did as well. It really was a great event.

        Jim

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10, 2007
          I'm glad to hear about another successful event by March. The pics look
          great, can't wait to see the video.

          Congrats from Pittsburgh,
          =Dan

          [ beauty is in the eye of the beer holder ]
          [ http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/ ]

          Jim Scheef wrote:
          > Everyone,
          >
          > ---What he said.
          >
          > A *very* preliminary strip of pictures is up on the MARCH web site at
          > http://www.midatlanticretro.org/VCFe4/index.htm
          > <http://www.midatlanticretro.org/VCFe4/index.htm>.
          >
          > I know I had a great time and hope you did as well. It really was a
          > great event.
          >
          > Jim

        • Herb Johnson
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 11, 2007
            ---"Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

            > �That any of you who DIDN�T come to our VCF East this weekend are
            > complete and utter fools. The event was friggin� awesome.

            I concurr. I was very impressed by all the speakers at the show, and
            of course the exhibits were all world-class, of professional quality.
            All who exhibited or spoke at the show were friendly, knowledgable,
            and enthusiastic. Many of the visitors were also active members of our
            "vintage computing" community, and a few participated in an ad-hoc but
            equally excellent fashion. And, we had a good time!

            Much to my surprise, common themes that threaded the show were the
            dual desire to 1) preserve and enjoy the past of computing technology
            and 2) to make computing, past AND present, accessable to people -
            especially children. I found these common themes inspiring, and they
            gave me the focus I waa looking for in my talk about CP/M's history:

            http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/cpm_presentation_40.html

            ..which I've been asked to make available. VCF-East was my first
            opportunity to present this history, from this very rough outline,
            from my work in progress. Now I can refine this bit of history and
            collection of documents into something more presentable in the future,
            both on my Web site and as a presentation. I'll do that in due course,
            and try to meet the standards set by all the other speakers we heard
            this weekend.

            I'm sure that the other participants were just as energized in their
            work and activities. And I'll do what I can to support and assist many
            of the exhibitors at the show. As I live nearby, I was able to
            immediately provide some with materials from my inventory or archives,
            or bits of my own knowledge. Shows like these are a chance to "pick
            the brains" of many good people, and I certainly did so myself.

            These are the reasons why shows like VCF are important, and I'm
            grateful to MARCH and VCF for the opportunity to attend and participate.

            Herb Johnson
            "Dr." S-100, on a field trip into CP/M

            Herbert R. Johnson, New Jersey USA
          • Bob Grieb
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 27, 2007
              I have 30 1Mbit (128Kx8) 32-pin dip EPROMS which anyone who wants to
              pay postage can have. Part numbers would be 27C010 or similar. Access
              times are 150-200 nSec. In ceramic package with window for erasing.
              Much newer than 2764 or 2732 type parts used in retro computers, and
              too large for any future project of mine. All parts are used. Will go
              in trash if noone wants them.

              Bob Grieb

              Need a vacation? Get great deals
              to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.